Protein

Options
KanCrav
KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
So is it really that bad to eat more protein and less carbs?.... I dont want to eat carbs with dinner so i was just eating veggies and meat, but i have been reading that I should be really portioning out my protein intake....... what do you guys think?

Replies

• AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Veggies are carbs and good healthy ones at that.
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    Nope, I don't think so. MFP sets your protein pretty low anyway from what I have noticed. I can't eat anywhere near the amount of carbs it says I can, and that includes "healthy" carbs or I feel absolutely awful. I eat more protein and fat (good fat) than I do carbs and I feel great, and the weight is coming off. When I eat too many carbs, my weight loss stalls, I get headaches, and feel bloated.
    I still try to eat a good balance of things, but definitely carbs, sugar and sodium are what I try to keep much lower than the rest.

I have also been studying some metabolic typing stuff, and it has made sense. Some people just don't do so good with lot of carbs (not just bread, I mean certain veggies and fruits too), some don't do good with alot of protein either. I say listen to your body and find what works for you health-wise.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I've been told it is okay to go over on protein! Protein after a work out helps build lean muscle!
  • hhamilton
    Options
    No, It isn't. Protein-rich foods are considered the best to promote weight-loss. This is because the body has to expend more calories to digest protein than it does carbs. It takes 25 calories to expend 100g of protein, as opposed to 5 calories to expend the same amount of carbs. I actually have an issue with carbs, because I love pasta and I'm training for a half marathon. I was told by my trainer to stay away from carbs at dinnertime, unless I plan on working out afterwards. The downside to alot of protein, is that it builds muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat...so the scale may not show rapid weight loss. But if you are taking measurements, you'll notice a difference.