To the outdoor runners/ joggers

Options
Where on Earth do you put your keys? I have been trying to figure this out for ages and I just can't. I normally put them in my pocket when I walk but if I want to jog I have to hold on to them or risk having them fall out. Do you shove them in your shoe or leave them in your mailbox or what? I'm at a complete loss.

Replies

• jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    most running pants or joggers from Nike and Adidas etc cater for this by having a pocket - usually along top at the back of the pants- that zips closed.... maybe you should invest in training gear that has zips so your stuff doesnt fall out. :wink:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I run from home and have a garage door code I can punch in, so don't have to carry my keys. On the occasions that I run elsewhere and have my car keys to worry about, I just take the single key, and slip it in my armband behind my phone, or I take my running belt (I have a Nathans Shadow Pak - holds the key, a credit card, chapstick, whatever).

I've read that some runners tie the key in their shoe laces, or safety pin it to shirt or shorts if your shorts don't have one of those tiny key pockets.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    buy a wrist band ;-) problem solved
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i sling my finger into one of the rings and just run with them in my hand. i also run with an ipod so i wouldn't DARE put them in my pocket because i wouldn't hear them if they fell out!!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have a little pocket on the top of my pants that fits a single key. (old navy sells them)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I wear a runners belt that has a water bottle clip on it.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My shorts (and my tights) have a pocket that is big enough for a key or 2. I normally put them there, or if I'm going on a longer run, I'll bring a water bottle (which the holder has a pocket) and put the key in there.
  • anniecrisis
    Options
    I don't have an armbandy thing for my phone yet, so hold the phone in one hand, at the moment generally contained within a ziplock sandwich bag, and my bunch of keys in the other. Not great, but I suppose holding something in each hand balances me up a bit......
    The armband for phone idea is on my christmas wish-list, and then I'd hope also to be able to hide a key behind the phone in that. My leggings and top don't have the necessary zipped pockets, and so more of those are also on the list, not least because I get fed up running in stuff I've run in twice before :o....
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Tie the single key to your shoelace, leave the rest behind in your car or house. That's what I do if the stuff I'm wearing has no pockets. Often, I'll be carrying my phone because it's bounced out of my pocket one too many times.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have my spare house key on a carabiner clip that I attach to my running belt or arm band (where I keep my phone). I've also clipped it to my bra strap, but that lead to a bruise after a few miles. :blushing:
  • ellenxmariex3
    ellenxmariex3 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have a garage code too so I don't normally carry my keys. The one time I decided to run in a park far from my house that I had to drive to I took a random bracelet that I had, attached my key to it, and wore it around my wrist. Not the most comfortable thing in the world but it worked!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    My Nike capris have a pocket with a zipper for such. If I don't have those on I stick it in the side of my underwear.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Depending on where I am, on top of my car tire... I also got one of those Spibelts for "official" runs and it works well - not a lot of bouncing...
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    all my running gear has a zipped pocket thats barely big enough for an iphone, so a single key fits perfectly..i dont need to carry a whole bunch of them. i even have gloves for winter running that have a little pocket especially for a key.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    LOL - - that's what your sports bra is for !!

Seriously, that's where I put my keys and my cell phone when I first started running. When I decided it was going to be a bit more of a long term thing, I found myself a fanny pack - - to make sure I also had everything else that I needed (like my inhaler). But my fall back is always my bra. It ain't goin' anywhere LOL
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Yeah, that!
  • kmayne
    kmayne Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Spibelt. You can find them on amazon. You should be able to fit your phone and keys with no bouncing around. Love mine. :)
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I take my key off the ring (whether it's my house key or car key) and tie it with my shoelaces. Don't even notice it!
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have a barn, so if I go for a walk/run I usually find a random place to stash it before I take off. :)