Eating before bed

Options
ka_42
ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
Hi Pals! I'm wondering how late people eat before they go to bed? I've heard you shouldn't eat as many as 4 hours before sleeping. I work out in the late evening and come home around 8:30 and drink a protein shake and maybe a snack. I go to bed at 10:30ish. Should I allow more time in between eating and sleeping?

Thanks for the advise! :)

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I can't get to sleep unless I have something on my stomach. I ususally just have a teaspoon of PB on a cracker or a half glass of milk or tea and that's enough for me. If I don't have a little something...I'll wake up around 3-4 and be starving.
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    I don't restrict myself, I eat anytime before bed as long as I have the calories left to do so. I eat many small meals and snacks throughout the day and the evening is no different. I know there are people who strongly believe in a cut off time for eating before bed, although I don't know that there is an scientific evidence either supporting or discouraging this. Attached is a link about "dieting" myths, where they talk about late night eating.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/16045168/
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I used to think it was bad, now I think it depends on whether you're binging and whether you've surpassed your total calories for the day. Just don't eat a ton of processed carbs or sugar before bed, but a glass of milk and protein shake should be just fine. I think people don't suggest eating at night because most people overeat at night. Like if your "snack" is a bag of chips and chocolate cake then you're better off eating that earlier in the day. Eat extra healthy at night but don't feel you need to starve yourself.
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    Perfectly put whyflysouth, make a healthy conscience snack choice. A goal to keep in mind is we want out bodies to burn calories as we sleep.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It is good to stop eating at least 3 hours before you go to bed. Our metabolism slows down when we're sleeping so it's best to have our food digested before we go to sleep. Since you workout later in the evening, the protein shake you have afterwards is a good idea. But what is your snack? It sounds like you stop eating about 2 hours before going to bed; which is fine. It depends on each person really. I stop eating at 7pm usually, but if I get really hungry I'll have some hot tea (decaf).
  • heathersu
    Options
    I think as long as you stay within your calorie goal for the day it does not matter when you eat.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Great advise! What a relief! I wasn't sure how I could fit in my work out and all of my eating by 6PM (as advised, 4 hours before bed)! I did have a cookie last night with my protein shake.. I'll focus on more healthy late snacks. Thanks everyone!
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have been told on my lifestyle program that you eat at least one hour before bed. I usually have 100 calorie popcorn so I am not hungry in the morning when I do my morning exercises. I drink 32 oz. of water when I do my 24 min. of exercise in the morning, shower, and eat breakfast.
  • hopela
    hopela Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who eats a snack before bed :) I love having a bowl of special k at night ...while watching Friends reruns....I am a creature of habit! I always have calories left over on weeknights so I don't feel bad abt it
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have cereal pretty much every night before bed. I can't sleep if I'm even a little bit hungry. :)
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    im glad im not the only one that has cereal before bed but i do try not to eat after 8. i try to workout about 7 then have cereal or cottage cheese and granola (for the protein). but ya as long as i have the calories there.