Small yet large NSV - C25K and quitting smoking

Options
thebuz
thebuz Posts: 221 Member
So I hope no-one laughs but I am brimming with excitement today over my NSV. I have been doing the C25K and had to take 3 weeks off after completing week 3. The first week off was due to a pervasive migraine and the last two weeks had me sidelined with a brutal chest cold. Today I finally got back on the wagon and went for a run convinced that I should redo week 3 after taking such a long break however I tried week 4 day 1 and was able to complete it!!!!!! I am on day 11 of quit smoking and I have NO doubts that the quit helped me to be able to continue on with my quest to run a 5K. I feel a little silly typing this but I don't care. I'm damn excited that I'm going to be starting 2013 as a much improved me.

Thanks for reading!!!

Replies

• chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Woo! That's awesome! Take pride in your achievements, big and small!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!
    I agree with Chelle_dig. You deserve to make a big deal out of all your accomplishes. :heart:
    Happy Dance for you!!:drinker:
  • thebuz
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I'm also still losing while quitting smoking!
  • Brandi1525
    Brandi1525 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Huge congrat's ! I just quit yesterday and my nerves are on edge. I'm happy that I quit but I feel really funny o_O
  • thebuz
    Options
    Huge congrat's ! I just quit yesterday and my nerves are on edge. I'm happy that I quit but I feel really funny o_O

Anxiety peaks on day 3 for most people. Hang in there. On day 12 here and I promise you it gets much easier after the first week!
  • NotSoBigNeil
    NotSoBigNeil Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic to hear, I'm quitting the cigs too but had a little blip yesterday. None so far today though and I'm confident I can do it this time *crosses fingers*

Great work on the C25K too :happy:
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you all for kicking the butts! It's one of most difficult, yet rewarding, things you can do for yourself!!! I recently passed my 3-month mark. I'd quit many times in the past, but this is going to be the LAST time!! If you ever feel the need for a little boost, I highly recommend the book "Allen Carr's EASYWAY to Stop Smoking." I actually read it during my 2nd week of being cig-free, but I believe it gave me a tremendous back-up with quitting.

To thebuz....great job on your C25k program!
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I feel you completely. I have been training for a 5K and took a month off while my husband and I were going through a separation and picked up on my smoking quite a bit due to the stress. Well, I have been one week without a smoke and am back to training again. I have 9 miles under my belt for the week and the stop in the cigarettes has definitely helped. Congratulations!!!
  • thebuz
    Options
    I feel you completely. I have been training for a 5K and took a month off while my husband and I were going through a separation and picked up on my smoking quite a bit due to the stress. Well, I have been one week without a smoke and am back to training again. I have 9 miles under my belt for the week and the stop in the cigarettes has definitely helped. Congratulations!!!

Glad you got back on the horse in spite of what you're going through. Big congrats to you on a whole week smoke free. You got this!!!
  • thebuz
    Options
    Congrats to you all for kicking the butts! It's one of most difficult, yet rewarding, things you can do for yourself!!! I recently passed my 3-month mark. I'd quit many times in the past, but this is going to be the LAST time!! If you ever feel the need for a little boost, I highly recommend the book "Allen Carr's EASYWAY to Stop Smoking." I actually read it during my 2nd week of being cig-free, but I believe it gave me a tremendous back-up with quitting.

To thebuz....great job on your C25k program!

Excellent job on 3 months!!! That's great and I can't wait to get there.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking is no small NSV. Congrats and keep up the great work!!! I quit about 4 years ago and it was one of the best things I've ever done (next to taking up running). :flowerforyou:
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    Fantastic! Don't feel silly, be thrilled with your bad self!!!

You're an inspiration...I need to quit smoking, but I'm scared.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You deserve to be proud of yourself.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Oh this is so exciting to hear! I'm still smoking and after every run on the treadmill (I'm up to 27 minutes of running continuously) while I'm coughing in the car driving home, I hate my habit even more :sad:

I have a box of Nicoderm patch sitting in my bathroom and I look at it every day and think maybe today should be the day I do it. Then I talk myself out of it. I KNOW I'm close though....

So glad to know it is possible to quit and not gain.
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I took up couch25k on my treadmill when I quit smoking and it was the running that kept me sober. I'm proud to say that I am thinner and stronger. I ran my first 5k marathon two years ago and have not touched a cigarette in two years and nine months! Best thing you are doing trading in a bad habit for the good habit of running.
  • thebuz
    Options

Oh this is so exciting to hear! I'm still smoking and after every run on the treadmill (I'm up to 27 minutes of running continuously) while I'm coughing in the car driving home, I hate my habit even more :sad:

I have a box of Nicoderm patch sitting in my bathroom and I look at it every day and think maybe today should be the day I do it. Then I talk myself out of it. I KNOW I'm close though....

So glad to know it is possible to quit and not gain.

I think I'm still able to lose because I waited until my eating was all set in stone and so now I can focus on the quit. I couldn't have done both changes at the same time.
  • thebuz
    Options
    Congratulations!! I took up couch25k on my treadmill when I quit smoking and it was the running that kept me sober. I'm proud to say that I am thinner and stronger. I ran my first 5k marathon two years ago and have not touched a cigarette in two years and nine months! Best thing you are doing trading in a bad habit for the good habit of running.

Nice work. I'm hoping that my progress in c25K will solidify my quit. Day 12 today.....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!