How to calculate cups in round pot?

Options
Does anybody have a formula for figuring the number of cups are in a pot? It's a big pot of soup and I don't want to measure it all out. Pi would be involved...

Replies

• lmeslie
    lmeslie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Many pots tell you the quarts on the bottom of the pot. There are 4 cups in a quart. Alternatively, if you have a similar pot or can transfer your soup to another pot, you can pour measured water into the pot to see how many cups it holds.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I know its the cart after the horse, but i log as I add to the pot.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Google has the answers:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=5+inches+*+(pi+*+(10+inches/2)^2)+in+cups

This would work it out for something 10 inches diameter and 5 inches deep.

So change the 5 inches (can put it in cm if you prefer, just changes inches to cm) to your depth and 10 inches to the diameter of the pan (from one edge to the other).

Height * pi.r² = volume of cylinder

My calculation takes diameter and halves it, as it's easier to measure.

A long, long time since I've had to do such things, but pretty sure that's right.

Or, yes, get a known quantity (say a big drinks bottle) and see how many of those it takes to fill it.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Never mind! Mostly figured it out.
    Volume of a cylinder is pi × r 2 × h.

My measuring cup came out to be about 17.34.. that's probably off.. but close enough.
    My pot of soup came out to 360.89
    So there are about 20 3/4 cups in the pot of soup.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Height * pi.r² = volume of cylinder

My calculation takes diameter and halves it, as it's easier to measure.

A long, long time since I've had to do such things, but pretty sure that's right.

Or, yes, get a known quantity (say a big drinks bottle) and see how many of those it takes to fill it.

Thanks.. when I thought about doing it I was wondering how I was going to compare it to the volume of my measuring cup. Man, feelin' dumb about that part of it.