Sweeteners For Yogurt Or Smoothies

Kayak8000
Kayak8000 Posts: 1 Member
What do you use to sweeten yogurt dishes or smoothies? How much of it do you use?

I find that when I buy flavoured yogurt from the store, it is super sweet (like Yoplait). When I try to prepare it myself using raw strawberries and plain yogurt, it tends to taste sour. The store bought brands tends to have too much sugar. I am looking for a way to get the same level of sweetness but without the calories that sugar has. Any suggestions?

Replies

• It is so different for everyone, because everyone tastes things differently (to an extent). I use NuNaturals Stevia. It is one of only two out on the market that don't leave a bitter aftertaste (the other I like is Stevia in the Raw). My rule of thumb is, if you use a flavored yogurt choose one that it is Light. The Light ones have less sugar. When I make a smoothie I use non-sugared frozen fruit and a Light yogurt and I use 1 pkt stevia because I also throw in 2 tbsp. of non-flavored whey protein powder.
    When I make a smoothie with Greek yogurt, I use 2 pkts. of stevia and 2 tbsp. non-flavored whey protein powder.
  • lovedogslovecats
    lovedogslovecats Posts: 24 Member
    I make my own yogurt, and either sweeten it with sugar and add vanilla, or leave it plain. If I make plain yogurt, then when I eat it I usually sweeten it with honey. I started making my own because unless I buy just about anything other than Dannon Plain Yogurt, it ALL (even lots of organic yogurts) has a bunch of stuff added that's just not necessary. Then when I made my first batch, I discovered how easy and delicious it is, so I kept making it!
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    I like to use honey or agave with raw fruit like strawberry, blueberry ,banana, peach you'll love and the yo plait crab the it's all sugar and carbs
  • I use almond vanilla milk. If I use that I don't need stevia or anything else to sweeten it up.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    I sweeten mine with fruit. Passionfruit and mango both work really well.