Losing hope

Options
Anyone feel like they hit a road block sometimes? How do you push past it?

I've been on and off this site for a while now, and I'm having a hard time keeping connected to being successful. My weight has gone up and down and up and down....and now up. I don't log my weight on here for that reason. I haven't any doubt that sticking to the plan would work, and I can almost see myself reaching my goal. But then something happens...usually something upsetting at home to be honest, and I push my goal aside to focus on fixing what's happened. Then after the dust settles, and I get back on the scale, I've gained some back.,

Its depressing really..

I'd be thankful for any advice you'd like to share....

Replies

• Terry_3232
    Options
    Don't ever lose hope. The fact that you keep coming back here shows that you have not given up on yourself. Make small do-able changes a little at a time. Logging what I eat has made all the difference. I am not following any specific diet. I am just trying to eat healthy choices (I do give in to temptation occasionally) & focus on how much better I am feel.

Just take one day at a time.

Good Luck! You can do this!:flowerforyou:
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Upsetting circumstances never stop in my experience. We have a right to do something for ourselves even when everything else is in chaos - that's what I've decided. Losing my extra fat and feeling more comfortable in my own skin is the major thing I'm doing for myself these days, and though I might get side-tracked for a day or two, I'm not allowing myself to get completely de-railed. I wouldn't do it if I were going to college for a degree, and I'm not going to do it now.

Do what you need to do; you're worth it!
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Do stick with it. I have always been 30 to 50 lbs overweight, I too, decided to use MFP earlier this fall. The weight is coming off very slowly and it is easy to get discouraged, but I have been telling myself that one pound down is better than one pound up. It is not always easy, I have a large family who gather often and food is a part of it. I eat, just not too much! Please keep at it, you and your health are worth so much!
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Have you tried keeping a journal of your feelings? If you do that then on difficult days you can look back and read about a good day. It might help you get back to a good place within yourself.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It's not a debate. It's a decision. There will be times where we all feel we are stuck. But when we get to those points we just have to get an image of what we are going for... change something... and go for it. No looking back. Best wishes on pressing through and gaining victory in this area of your life!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I think we all go through such phases. However I have learned that in times like these, I, even when I eat a lot, I still log food. No matter how bad things get and how bad my food intake is, eventually I get out of it.

I also have a kickass support system with me. I can tell them literally anything and not feel judged. My friends on MFP don't judge me when I eat 4500 calories and motivate me to do better. They do the same when I eat only 800 calories. I cannot stress this enough. Get good friends. They're a very big key to your success here!

Hope you get out of this rutt. Please don't stop logging, no matter how bad it is!
  • Kiris2
    Kiris2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know that feeling all too well! I stopped losing after 3 months, adjusted, readjusted and then several more times after that, still no loss. Now after 8 months, I am really dragging on the motivation part. So, you are not alone, and I believe we are not alone. If I find the right potion for me, I will more than gladly share it with you, Dear. I know what keeps me coming back on here is a slight ray of hope, and....the most wonderful friends a person could hope for I have met on MFP! One has become much like a relative....I refer to her as "Bestie", and we made a pact, hang in here til 12-31-12! :) Best of luck and well-wishes,I so hope you can conquer your feelings,....and beat this monster we fight!! ;)
  • bren722
    bren722 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's ok to put ourselves first and be a little selfish. I think if you are happy with what you're doing for you and your progress and feel good about how you look, it affects how maybe you handle everything else. It isn't easy and there are always things that will come up, but you don't have to put yourself and taking care of yourself aside. You deserve this, you are worth the fight, so keep going for YOU. Don't lose hope or give up on yourself. :)
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Why do you eat more when something bad happens in your life? I think subconsciously you're using it as an excuse to overeat. No matter what happens in life, you still need to eat. Whether you eat fast food, etc., or healthy food, the choice is up to you. Most fast food places have salads for a choice. If you're going to the grocery store, don't buy your trigger foods. Sometimes I think we use things happening in our lives to overeat. There really is no excuse for it. Subconsciously (and this is really stupid) I think to myself that if I don't log it, it doesn't count. Stupid, huh? So I make myself log everything every day so that I can see what I'm eating and make adjustments during the day so I don't go over my calories.

You can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You either REALLY want this or are half hearted. If you really want it you need to commit. Unfortunately bad things happen, i have been at this for 5 years now and i still have what feels like a long way to go. In those 5 years ive had no end of upset/pain/tragic situations but i had committed myself to this. I really hope that whatever has upset you so much that you feel you cant do this is sorted soon but this site is great for support thats why we all use it so that bad days dont stop us reaching our goals. Dont lose hope though you can do it if you really want it xxx
  • sunshine4me
    sunshine4me Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hope's all we have! You are still gonna wake up the next morning.You might as well make every day a new start! I've just been staying at the same weight for months because I'm learning what I can and can't do. New ways of coping, things that work and don't! Keep it an adventure to better health!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I think we all go through such phases. However I have learned that in times like these, I, even when I eat a lot, I still log food. No matter how bad things get and how bad my food intake is, eventually I get out of it.

I also have a kickass support system with me. I can tell them literally anything and not feel judged. My friends on MFP don't judge me when I eat 4500 calories and motivate me to do better. They do the same when I eat only 800 calories. I cannot stress this enough. Get good friends. They're a very big key to your success here!

Hope you get out of this rutt. Please don't stop logging, no matter how bad it is!
    Best advice ever. Log everything. Track your weight. Get friends you trust to open these things up to. I have been at the same weight for the past 3 months. My friends don't judge me. Some days I eat like crap. They stil don't. Log log log. When I stop logging I start slipping.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    I could have written this, and looks like many others could have, as well. We like the "quick fixes"---- and managing food intake and exercise requires sustained effort. But it comes one meal and one workout session at a time. You just hang in there, and be grateful for what you can do as it comes. Come on!!! Just believe it's possible---AGAIN, and love yourself enough to really commit! (That's my plan, finally faced the scale, adjusted the weight upwards, :ohwell: and now I can honestly get on with it, instead of dancing around my problem.)
  • mary34reilly
    mary34reilly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate all your replies. I've decided to try and start tracking my weight..even if it goes down and up,...

I do have so me great friends., tho sometimes I'd wish they would be more talkative, I'll keep plugging away.

It's amazing really how much kind words really can turn your mood a bit. Thanks again:)
  • kymw
    kymw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think as long as we keep trying, we are never losers. I have done Weight Watchers and tired of how commercial and money hungry they are. Great support on MFP! Don't give up-just keep plugging away, cos in my opinion, as long as we keep trying, and keep having hope, and trying to make better choices, it beats just throwing in the towel and not caring about ourselves. Keep coming back! :)
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel like they hit a road block sometimes? How do you push past it?

I've been on and off this site for a while now, and I'm having a hard time keeping connected to being successful. My weight has gone up and down and up and down....and now up. I don't log my weight on here for that reason. I haven't any doubt that sticking to the plan would work, and I can almost see myself reaching my goal. But then something happens...usually something upsetting at home to be honest, and I push my goal aside to focus on fixing what's happened. Then after the dust settles, and I get back on the scale, I've gained some back.,

Its depressing really..

I'd be thankful for any advice you'd like to share....

Put yourself first. Feed your body to live.. don't live to eat! Schedule your workouts like an appointment. Don't miss it! You know you are worth it so act like it no matter what!!!!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    <
    That took 4 years. It's a process for sure, but don't EVER give up.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've been on here since February with the same issues. I am still at my starting weight because I have gone up and down so much. But I can't complain too much, because I am in good shape now and I wasn't before. So I think for some of us, progress just happens more slowly. :wink:
  • vijaygill
    vijaygill Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me, the hope will die only with my last breath.

So I motivate myself by picturising myself as following
    1) getting fitter with every passing day
    2) laughing in the faces of my friends who tried (and still do) to demotivate me.

Well the second one works more than the first one :)

Just keep doing what you do and ye shall be rewarded.
  • broomykm
    broomykm Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We've all been there, maintaining motivation is one of the hardest things to do especially in the first few months. I hit plateaus...places where it seems that no matter what I do, I am stuck at the same weight. But, because I am more concerned with a whole life lifestyle change rather than thinking locally as 'losing weight', I know that even when the scale doesn't move for a few days, a couple of weeks, or even a few weeks, I am still in control of my life and making the effort to eat healthy, exercise and improve my quality of life. And eventually, the dedication pays off. Keep at it, and one of these days the scale will make a sudden jump and you will be right back on track.