overweight and pregnant

Options
.I know your suppose to eat about 300 extra calories a day while pregnant. Does anyone have any tips. Also what were some good exercises to do while pregnant.

Replies

• Scorpia1997
    Scorpia1997 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Make sure to talk to your Dr. about your decisions/questions, they are the most qualified to answer your questions. But in my experience: I was 208 lbs when I got pregnant with my oldest. I only gained a total of 2lbs. Now, some people will tell you to gain, it's not healthy, etc... The main focus shouldn't be on calories, but on nutrition. Take your multivitamin, eat a healthy and clean diet, walk, walk, walk, walk!

Babies are more like parasites (LOL) and will take the things that they need first, you get them second! Good luck to you on your journey!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I would go to your doctor with this one.. I've never been pregnant, but I have a close friend who is due early next month, and because she was not very active to begin with her doctor recommended that she just try to walk as much as possible. From what I understand, high-intensity exercise(such as running) while pregnant is okay ONLY if you had been doing it regularly before getting pregnant.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant my dr said to do everything I did prior to pregnancy. So, I ran, lifted weights, rode the bike. I did everything and I still gained a crazy amount of weight. Wtach what you eat still and at the very least, walk.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It depended on the day when I was pregnant. I sure wouldn't jog. When I would get a stitch I'd stop until it went away. Sometimes that meant 1/8 mile and I'd have to go home. Usually I could make it 2 miles... but 4 miles took me twice as long as the rest of the group. I really liked oranges when I was pregnant, and sometimes that was lunch because I felt full. 2 weeks after having my 1st I was 22 pounds below starting pregnancy weight. My OB was ticked at me but I couldn't stomach more food... I was 3 days early and had a big baby... so all went well.

You wouldn't think twice about lifting something 15 pounds in normal daily activities... so you could probably use that much for handweights. And an exercise bike would be easy on your belly as the baby gets bigger. I wouldn't work through a pain.. more important to get you both thru in good shape. Listen to your body.
  • missbrittany23
    missbrittany23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    thanks- Im use to walking alot but here lately i havent been. Food wise I think im doing good but im going try to cook different things so I can have a variety.