Anyone have half-marathon training tips?

Options
Hey all,

I'm about to begin training for a half-marathon which is at the end of April. I've never done a race before, but usually do 4 or 5 miles a few times a week for exercise. I have found a few plans online that I like but I would like some tips from someone who has completed a half-marathon before.

My two biggest questions are 1) should I start now and build up very slowly, or wait and do a 10 week plan before the race? and 2) Should I avoid lifting/weights while I am training for the race?

Thanks!

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I'd start now...half marathon distance is pretty whoa! I can run 5 and 10 km with relative ease, but a half marathon is taxing, essentially you will be running for 2 hours plus...slightly less if you are fast...I weight trained, trained for a gym octathlon during my running training, did fartleks and did the usual run up to getting the mileage up before race day.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first one in October, but I essentially didn't train for it the last six weeks before due to injury. I was still running in sports, but that's it.

So first tip: don't overdo it with the training. If you are half marathon training, don't try to do much else, work out wise. Definitely have cross training days and plenty of rest days. I got injured from doing too much at once. I lifted weights, but I wasn't lifting heavy, so I can't speak from experience there.

Also, get enough water, especially around long run days.

Don't ignore what seems like minor pain, it could make it worse.

Overall, my half marathon didn't feel as bad as I thought it would be--considering I haven't been training and the most I had run was 8 miles in August. But I'm also 19 and I have a history of running/working out.

I would up your mileage some, maybe run a couple longer runs to see how they feel. But a ten or twelve week program will serve you well if you have a good base already. Just become consistent with your running now, and training will be that much easier.

Also, try doing some sort of speedwork. That's how I saw the fastest improvements in my times and how I felt. Personally, I ran hills on the treadmill and did from sprints, but fartleks are definitely effective too.

Also, after you finish, don't eat right away, even if you're starving. I ended up with tummy troubles for a day or two after.

Good luck! It's really a great experience, and I can't wait to run another when I'm done with PT.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    there is a sight called marathon rookie. It has training plans for 1/2 marathons and marathons. Good luck!
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon last month. A year ago I hadn't run for 22 years and when I did my first run I was having to stop and walk every half mile or so.

But I just tried to do better and better on the 4 mile route I had laid out. I tried to run a bit further or get to the top of a hill without stopping - that sort of thing. After about 3 months or so I was running the whole thing without stopping, even though it was hilly (and I was slow). Then I spent the next few months just trying to keep my running fitness up while doing other things like cycling with friends, weights etc. I was only running once or twice a week but as I say, I was also cycling etc, too.

But once I got to within 12 weeks of the half marathon, I knew I had to challenge myself more and progressively add to the workload so I used Hal Higdon's novice half marathon schedule (it'll show up on Google). It worked like a charm and I can't recommend it enough. Very easy too - basically just two shorter runs (3 - 6 miles) a week, and a longer one at the weekend that builds almost a mile a week from 3 at the beginning to 10 at the end.

Very easy to follow and as I say, worked for me!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for your first Half.
    I did my first Half this past Sept and have signed up for another in Jan 2013.

My words of advice are to start training now. Why wait?! Life gets in the way of training sometimes. And having the extra time to build a strong foundation is great. A strong running foundation is very important in long distance running. And with the extra time, hyou can only get better and faster.

I would recommend Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Half training program. Hal scehdules some strength training in among the runs as well as cross-training days and rest days. So you get the best of all words while preping for your Half.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    marathonrookie.com
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I used and liked Hal Higdon's training plan. It does include two days of strength training. You don't need to wait to start training. Have fun and happy running!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Strength training was one of the best things I did for my running!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I ran my first in Oct of this year and my 2nd just last weekend.

I would start now, just add in cross-training like weights in. If you find your motivation slacking, change things up if you have time.

I would also recommend having your longest run atleast 12 miles if you want to finish strong. On my first, I did 10 a few times and 12 once. I could tell during the race that I only did 12 once, I tanked out right before the 12 mile marker. I also recommend training in all kinds of weather. It may rain on race day, yk? So make a run or 2 in the rain or colder than norm. Try lots of things and find what works for your long run includeing energy stuff like GU and gear. An arm band may be okay for a short training run but it may get annoying at 7 miles.

Good Luck!
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you have a good start. Keep up your current mileage (3 miles, each time out), making sure you get out there 3-4 times a week to get in your baseline training. Here you want to build consistency and base mileage. If you are solid at 3 miles, up it to 5 or whatever makes sense for you. For me, there is a huge wall between 5-7 miles, so get where you know you are solid.. just get really comfy during this time..

About 16 weeks out from the race, you can start a 'training' plan.. like others have suggested, there are several good ones out there. The main idea is that you keep running 3-4 times a week, but one run day gets progressively longer. So, for example, the first week of your training plan, your will increase your Saturday run to 4 miles. The next Saturday, your long run will be 5 miles, then then next 6, and so forth.. until you work up to your 13 miles.. again, find a plan and just stick to it..

I do my long runs on a weekend day, but pick ANY day of the week and completely set it aside for your long run day, as consistency is the key here.

As to weight training, YES! It will help your speed, your endurance, in short, it will help you all the way around.. Just be sure you do your weights on an 'off' day from running and give yourself 2 days off from heavy lifting before your long run days..

I've run and trained for several races and honestly, its the best thing I have ever done for myself! I hope you can soon enough say the same!

P.S... it goes without saying.. but I am going to say it.. STAY HYDRATED. EVERYDAY.. and enjoy a nice carb load a day or so before your long runs.. it does make a difference... you will need a good energy store to do this!

and...

P.S.S..... and again, it never hurts to be reminded.. Be sure you get fitted properly for running shoes.. go to a running store and spend the money. Good fitting shoes, selected for your running style is the cheapest and best way to avoid injury. If you have good shoes, make sure you are getting new ones about every 300 miles you cover...
  • CaptainSwab
    Options
    I've done 30+ halfs. Your weekday milage seems good. Keep that up. On the weekends I would take whatever distance you are at, 5 miles you said? Add one mile every weekend. Then when you get to the 10 mile mark I'd alternate weekends with 6 miles, 8 miles the next weekend, 10 miles the third weekend, repeat 6, 8, 10 until your half. It's not a bad schedule to maintain. If you want to throw in a 12 2 weeks before the race then go for it. You want to make sure you are doing the long runs at an easy pace. Strength training is good.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your tips!!! This info should be really helpful :)
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You have a good base to start from. Google and get a good HM training program. It should incorporate a weekly long run. The distance will increase over time. Do not run your long run at the same pace you run your other runs. Decrease the pace and take it slower. It is about time on your legs: your body does not know distance, it knows intensity and it knows duration. Enjoy, you can do it!