Itchy Legs

Options
Most of my cardio comes from cycling. Prior to cycling I was running but since have stopped. I went for a run a week ago and got the most insanely itchy legs I have ever had. When I stopped and walked, I didn't itch, As soon as I ran again it was hell.

I found this very strange as it was only my legs that were itching like crazy. Does anyone else get this or know why it happens?

Replies

• TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Maybe you were having an allergic reaction to something like internal chemicals that kick in when you run. Just a guess on my part.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to go to your doctor and possibly get an allergy test. I have itchy legs all the time, but that's because I live in a house that is infested with mold........
  • tiffanyneedstolose
    Options
    I have the same problem my thighs get so itchy then i look weird trying to itch it...It usually happens if I don't walk or run regularly.. I have looked it up on google in the past and read it could be the stems of the cells dying or somthing strange like that from not doing work out regularly. So maybe try slowly easing back into running
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I would take a Claritin or zyrtec before running it could be an allergy to something
  • LadyLuckAJ
    LadyLuckAJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This also happened to me when i was much more out of shape (10 years ago- about 222lb) and i was walking really far. then it happened again when i completed Insanity Plyo for the first time (1.5 years ago about 165lb) as a trial to see if the program was right for me. That crazy crazy itch happened again. I figure it only happens when i have completed/completing something new that my body wasn't use to.
  • spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Itchy or tingly???

Tingly would just be the blood rushing around.

Itchy could be something in the air or an allergy, depending where you were running? (Was it outdoors or on a treadmill... indoors would indicate that it's not an allergic reaction, but outdoors it could be anything!)
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to me not running for ages. I think I should slowly get back to running.
  • msteresao
    msteresao Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Circulation Problems
    In some cases, itchy legs might be a symptom of circulation issues -- if you haven't exercised in a while, your body might not be used to it and have trouble pumping blood to your extremities because the capillaries have collapsed slightly. The process of expanding these capillaries can give the sensation of tingling or itching in your legs. Just a few sessions of regular exercise should put a stop to the itching.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/341646-itchy-legs-while-running/#ixzz2CcpceXNn
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Maybe dry skin secondary to cold weather and wind???
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I have this problem when I run in cold weather. I think it's a circulation problem. I think if you ease back into running then your body would adjust. Just as I think that if I were to wear proper clothes in cold temps and run in the cold regularly, I'd probably adapt too. But it drives me nuts and I do the treadmill in cold weather instead :)
  • sirthickness
    Options
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It will go away in a few runs. This happens if you haven't run in a long time.
  • Peaches516
    Peaches516 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time if I go for even one day without walking. It's worse when I start running! It will go away after 2-3 runs (for me, at least).
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i get the same thing at soccer training if its really cold, I think its a circulation thing only happens every now and then