Trying to lose weight with Acid Reflux issues?

Options
:yawn: Hi guys!

I have been on MFP off and on for a couple of years-along with doses of Weight Watchers. I turned 50 last year and my body just seems to have rebelled, menopause is hitting big time-and acid reflux is making me miserable. I am not sure how to eat best to help get it under control. I go online and see so many conflicting ideas on how best to eat. Trying to eat healthier to lose weight, but then I get frustrated and overeat-even tho I know I feel better when I eat healthy, and overeating is hell on my acid reflux. So, I will stop my rambling and simply ask, does anyone else deal with acid reflux and what is a good way to eat to help with that, and also lose weight? Thanks!

Replies

• angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from acid reflux from the age 23 on. Ever since I changed my eating habits (moderation and portion control, no transfats, no "garbage" food) I no longer deal with acid reflux. Coincidence maybe? I hope not. Its a good incentive to keep going in this direction. :smile:
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I am 49 this year. This might sound weird, but it's been true for me: Have you been to a chiropractor? My mother was taking so many TUMS and stuff all the time I was a kid. She passed away at 57 from something entirely different, but I never knew her to be free of that problem.

Anyway, my chiropractor actually knows when I'm suffering from it the worst. He recommends getting adjusted rather than trying the meds because the stomach's purpose is to be acidic, so to make it less acidic is counter-active to the problem. There are different types of chiro's, so if you want to try the type I have, let me know and I'll find that specialty name.

Good luck.

Oh, also, I had my gallbladder out years ago, and that's when my problems started. So diet is definitely part of it for some of us.
  • ChristineDB
    ChristineDB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I dealt with acid reflux just a few months ago... Gaviscon was my new bff! I got sick of it and started to make a list of things that would trigger the reflux. For me it was Greek yogurt, chocolate and wine... Oh misery! I simmered down on all and once the reflux was gone and was feeling like a new person!! I started to drink a little wine again, since some days it's my life savior and still I am reflux free! I just don't over do it on the foods I know triggers it. I haven't taken anything for reflux in months! I still get a little reflux on veggies like cucumbers but it's manageable! If this does not work for you I would recommend that you talk about it with your doctor.

Good luck!! :)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I suffer from it too, mostly at night, so I stopped eating after 6 ish. Since I started MFP, watching my portion sizes and eating healthier, I can eat even at 9 pm and not suffer from it.

I was avoiding acidic foods, tomatoes, citrus, but no longer have to even avoid these!

I guess that is another NSV for ya!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Mine was so bad that the doc put me on medication. It has helped SO much. It was hard for me to exercise after work because I'd have indigestion from my lunch or snack and it was painful to work out.
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    I have been hospitalized twice in the last 5 months. My gallbladder was removed a few weeks ago...thinking it was that. It wasn't. I have severe reflux. I have cut out all carbonated beverages as they make me miserable. Just about everything I eat causes me problems. First, make sure you are on a good GERD med. I take 40 mg of omeprazole in the morning and again at night. This helps a lot. I see a surgeon in early December. I have a history of throat strictures so an EDG will be performed to see if there is another issue with this. I had my throat stretched about 6 months ago. There are 2 procedures they do for GERD. One is too perform lap band surgery. I believe the other is something to do with wrapping the top part of the stomach around the bottom of the esophagus. Will see what the next guy says and will decide if I will do one of these surgeries. I get doubled over with pain and have heart attack like symptoms bad. The pain is crippling. Take care of this issue early by identifying which foods bother you the most and limit them carefully. Best wishes!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have acid reflux, until the last couple of months I had to take prescription medicine daily to keep it under control, as I've lost weight and eating cleaner I only take it as needed, maybe once a week.
  • kymw
    kymw Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I know in the past, if I simply ate better, I would go symptom free, but lately not even that helps. I am on omnaprazole and am hoping by scaling back on things that may be triggers, and keep losing weight, maybe eventually I can go off the meds. I hate having to take medicines, would rather find the culprit and make lifestyle changes. Eating better goes hand in hand with MFP and getting some of this blasted weight off! :)
  • ACrowsDay
    ACrowsDay Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've had it...bad stuff!! I lost 20lbs which really helped. Eat your last snack or dinner at least 3-4 hours before you lay down,stay away from greasey, or gravey like foods. Just that got me off acid reflex meds. Once in awhile I might need a tum.
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as cleanly as possible - any ready meals and processed foods tend to make my heartburn and reflux worse [as does Jack Daniels!]

I eventually went to see the doctor and now I have Lansoprazole daily....doesn't affect my weight loss at all.

If its something you are having regularly then you should get it checked out just in case...it may be that an over the counter remedy like Ranitidine might be what your doctor recommends.

It is such a relief not to have to worry about it or go through the discomfort
    x
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Between my bad gall bladder and acid reflux I was miserable frequently. I had my gall bladder out and had a nissen fundoplacation surgery (wrap the stomach around the esophagus to stop the reflux) and I haven't had problems with acid reflux or being sick since. Talk to your doctor and tell him your symptoms.