C25K

Options
so i recently started the c25k run/jog ...and this week i start week three... im feeling intimidated!!!!! ugghhh

has anyone else out there gone from basically not working out and done this program, and if so...how well did it go?

so far for me, week 1 and 2 werent too bad...the fastest i can STAY running is 5.5mph at this point...

has anyone been compleatly out of shape and then started this program? and actually followed it week to week?

Replies

• rogarr
    rogarr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i wasnt completely out of shape when I started it, I had been working out for awhile. But as far as running/jogging, I was really inexperienced and could barely manage to go for more than a few minutes at a time. I completed the 9 week course in October...yes I did it and so I can you. I know its cliched nowadays but "just do it". You can ! One thing I would highly recommend the further along you go. Get yourself some decent, comfortable running shoes (I did in week three) and SLOW DOWN. Theres no reason to be in a hurry and youre going to burn yourself out quickly if you dont. Trust me in the latter weeks you'll be agreeing with me there. Good Luck to you !!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    lol You are going at 5.5mph. I'm at a solid 4mph AND I've been working out since April. I just ended week one yesterday.
  • karlyelindsay
    karlyelindsay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did the whole program week for week and finished. I did my first 5k in October and am now running a 5 mile race on Thanksgiving. it can be done!! I kept reminding myself that I trained for it, and 5.5 is awesome in my book, the beat I can sustain is 5 mph.
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I did it a couple of years ago. And when I say I was out of shape, I mean I was REALLY out of shape. I couldn't even finish W1D1! I started it right about at the start of the hottest days of our summer so when it got too hot to run outside at lunch time, I switched to running on the treadmill and finished the program on the treadmill at 1% incline. Big mistake for me, it was a definite eye opener when I tried to run the same half hour outside! LOL, but it was the first thing/program I ever really stuck to and I was still proud of my accomplishment!

Good luck on your program and hope you enjoy it! You can DO it!
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 4 tomorrow. I hate running, always have, but it's so darn good for calorie burn. I usually just walk but I decided to push myself a little harder this time around. (yes I've fallen off the horse and gotten back on several times since my initial loss of 30 lbs over 3 years ago). I'm jogging at a nice pace of 4.5mph for me. Those 5 min stretches are hard but getting easier. :smile:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm repeating weeks as necessary. I'm only competing against myself. If I don't feel ready for the next week, I repeat the week until I do. I'm doing week 4 for the second time this week.

Keep at it - you'll get there. :)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k a few weeks ago and I now run an hour sometimes, never less than 30 minutes and/or 3.1 miles. When I first started three months ago or so I was 60 pounds heavier and never exercised. I followed the plan exactly, never doing more or less than it called for. When you get to that first 20 minute run, it does seem impossible and intimidating but I did it and so can you. Now, 20 minutes is nothing for me. You will get there. Pains will come and pains will go. Ask your doctor before starting the program if you haven't already.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've never been a very good runner. I had done some walking on the treadmill prior to starting C35K, but found myself struggling around the 4th or 5th week. I agree with the advice about slowing down; after I did that I was able to complete the program. There is nothing wrong with repeating a week. Now I am running outside, and working on building up speed.

You'll get there! :)
  • Ms_Pixie
    Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Week 3 today yay!!! It's hard but I feel really good after doing 2 days in a row (then I go and sabotage it all by taking 4 days off :/ )

Maybe we should start a support group, or maybe there's already one set up somewhere? might make it easier to stick with it...?
  • hg5159
    hg5159 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was exercising for about 6 months before I did C25K. I did the elliptical, walking and bike. Then I wanted to start running and I knew that C25K was the way to learn.

I understand how hard it is. It was really hard for me. My biggest suggestion is to slow down. When I was struggling through a week, and having to repeat the week because I wasn't successful, I finally found that slowing down my running pace allowed me to complete the running parts. So I chose to work on the endurance at a slower pace and then I would worry about speed. I was running at 5.0 which was too hard, so I bumped it down to 4.7 or 4.8 and I found that I was able to complete the runs.

I did my first 5K race on October 27. It was a hilly course that was 2 miles up, 1 mile down. I finished in 31:08 - placing 31 out of 88 women in my age group. That's a 6.0 mph pace! I was incredibly proud of myself. Without C25K I would never have been able to do it. I'm running a 4.4 mile race on Thanksgiving and hoping for an even better pace. I've run a practice 5K in under 30 minutes now too!

You can do it! Just slow down and work on your endurance. Then work on speed. :)
  • scvalentine1
    Options
    I've been doing it. I definitely had to do a couple weeks twice, mostly cuz I skipped a day or something. I suggest going at whatever pace you can hold for the whole time, even if it feels really slow. I just completed the program and can go for 35 minutes, but for me that's not the right distance yet. So now I'm just working on distance and getting faster.
    But my main suggestion is to just do it! You'll be proud of yourself every week! And don't be afraid to go really slowly.
  • 2rnip
    2rnip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started weighting over 300 and not having to run for several years. First week or two were harsh, but I made it through. I must admit, that for few couple weeks I just couldn't even REACH 5.5mph for anything over 100 meters, but it will all come in time, recently I ran for 10 minutes at 7mph. Not to mention that c25k and mfp helped me to lose 40 pounds in just over two months.
    Don't focus on the speed now, it will come in time.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have to redo week 2 because I've been so tied up. One thing I've definitely learned doing this C25K thing: Take your time, don't go so fast, and don't give up yet.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    so i recently started the c25k run/jog ...and this week i start week three... im feeling intimidated!!!!! ugghhh

has anyone else out there gone from basically not working out and done this program, and if so...how well did it go?

so far for me, week 1 and 2 werent too bad...the fastest i can STAY running is 5.5mph at this point...

has anyone been compleatly out of shape and then started this program? and actually followed it week to week?

yep..me. I did c25k to break up the monotony of power walks and cycling. the notion of me being a runner was simply ridiculous.

I finished c25k in June and ran my first half marathon in august, and another one yesterday.

Don't be intimidated by the exercises, concentrate real hard on the distance/interval and NOT your speed/pace...all of that will come in time. Don't be afraid to re-attempt any day that you feel you need to...the only fail is to give up on c25k, like I did 4 times before I gave it one last chance.

Now running is my only form of exercise.

Good luck,have fun and please stick at it..you will be rewarded far greater than you could ever imagine!
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    5.5mph is very fast for a beginner. I did a lot of miles at that speed before I could do better, and I was pretty fit when I started. Keep going slow for as long as you can, the speed will grow in time. Although, like I said, you're already fast.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I started in May at 219lbs, one month after having my third baby (and I had a horrid sickly lazy pregnancy.) I walked at 3.5 and "ran" at 4.0-4.3mph. I followed the plan exactly as it is written. No repeating and no running more than 3 days per week. I'm now running 4 miles comfortably at an average of 5.7mph. I also spent 5 weeks in an air cast in July/August right after finishing C25K for a foot condition not related to running and am surprised that even with easing back into running very gradually I am at the place I'm at. I'm planning on running a half marathon next summer! You can do it! :happy:
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    I just finished week 1....and I told my husband I don't know how I am going to do week 2 because I am my legs are burning running 60 seconds! But I am going to give it my best and pray that it goes well lol :) I am out of shape and fell off the wagon of exercising for about 5 months and just got back started last week. I am hoping the c25k will help me be a little more fit and that it will eventually get easier. I have started it before but didn't make it past week 2. We are doing it outside so I don't know if that is easier or harder than doing it on the treadmill, but I don't know what speed I am running. However, I will say that when I walk I am walking slower than the average pace, but when I run I am running faster than the average pace. I don't know how to walk any faster or run any slower...does that make sense to anyone? Any recommendations?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I am re-starting this, too. I was doing it a bit but then started 30 Day Shred at same time and it was just too much impact. I walk normally at 4 mph for my workouts with some intervals of 4.5, so when I was doing it, I was using 5.5 also. I don't mean I need to walk at this pace for the C25K. I'm open to suggestions. That's just my normal speed for my regular 3-4 mile walking workouts. 5.5 and 4.0 feels comfortable for me, but are you finding it too difficult or is it just right? I'm not sure if maybe I should kick it down a little. Anything between 4.5-5.0 is very awkward for me because it's neither a jog nor a walk based on my normal walking speed for workouts. I don't want to burn out. It's great to hear how much success people have had with the program!

Also, what is everyone using for their walk speed?
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    What is the ap you all use? I have an android phone.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Keep going! I was up to the end of week 6 and doing pretty good. I never thought I would get here. I had to take a couple weeks off for medical reasons and now I had to go back to day 1 of week 5. It is very hard for us new to exercise and really out of shape. I seriously think the mental aspect of running is the hardest though. I personally find that if I get some good music (I use the app on my iphone so it tells me when to run and walk) I hid the screen so I'm not paying attention. Then I get more into what I'm listening to than how much longer I have. Keep at it and if you can't complete a day, don't get frustrated just repeat that day's workout the next running day. Persistence and dedication are the key to all this. I also find that perusing Pinterest Health and Fitness boards help remind me what I am wanting to do this for.