Help.... Cottage Cheese

Options
I am following Jillian Michael's Meal Plan and for my snack today it is a cup of fat free cottage cheese with blueberries. I have never had cottage cheese before today and I just now took a spoonful and I am HATING the taste.

Does anyone have any low cal tricks to make this taste better?
I am kind of limited because I am in the office but any suggestions would be GREAT!!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Try adding Splenda.

Does it have to be fat free? Because there is 1% whipped cottage cheese which has a much better texture.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    LOL - yeah, I love cottage cheese - but can hardly stand the fat free crap. Try mashing the blueberries and stirring them in. Depending on how you feel about it - you might add 1/2 tsp of sugar to the berries to sweeten them up before mixing.

I guess the bigger thing would be - if you don't LIKE it - don't eat it. Find a substitute. I'm stingy with my calories and refuse to eat anything that I don't enjoy... of course I guess the fact that I love fruits and veggies helps. But seriously - if you don't like the cottage cheese - try a lowfat vanilla yogurt (check calories to make sure they're comparable). Cottage cheese is relatively high in sodium anyway so it's not like it's REALLY good for you.... ya know?
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    Not that salt is good for you, but a little salt and pepper. I like the 4% cottage cheese - obviously it has fat and more calories, but it isn't a very big trade-off for 2% cottage cheese to 4% - so on this one I go for taste.
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    i love the 4% ...fat free isnt worth it for me. i would rather not eat something else.

i dont like fruit in mine either...i eat the fruit then the cheese.
  • christieb143102
    christieb143102 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If I'm going for a sweet taste, ill add a tad bit of yogurt, or 1 packet of splenda with strawberries, blue berries, strawberry jello, splenda and Cinnamon- experiment with it!

Or if im eating it with like steak, ill just add salt, pepper and garlic. maybe some chives...
  • HelloSunshine
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
    I just mashed up all my blueberries and added a teaspoon of sugar and I am getting through it a lot better now.

I don't think i will be bringing this as a snack anymore though :wink:
  • haileyco
    haileyco Posts: 68
    Options
    i like cottage cheese, but i am really picky about what brands i will eat. i prefer trader joes or albertsons brand. i will not eat just any cottage cheese. and even the fat free of the trader joes is good, its not as thick and gooey as others. i do not like fruit adn cottage cheese. i love it with tomato and s&p.
  • karenpeb
    karenpeb Posts: 23
    Options
    I'd eat cottage cheese, but my feet would swell from the amount of sodium in it.

My mom had a great idea by putting crushed pineapple on top of it. Try it !!!

698711.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    Try ricotta instead of cottage cheese.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to train myself to eat cottage cheese, I've never liked it, but it has some attributes that make it attractive while dieting. What I've found is I prefer it in savory foods, as opposed to sweet foods. Lately I've been making salmon salad from pink canned wild salmon and instead of the mayo you'd normally but into it I've replaced it with cottage cheese. Its actually very nummy. On occasion I add about a quarter cup of mashed avo into a serving...its quite good!
    good luck!
  • Buckychick4ever
    Buckychick4ever Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you like lemon pepper, try sprinkling some in your cottage cheese...yum!!
  • gonec0untry
    gonec0untry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tomato and S & P is exactly how my parents and I ate it growing up. Hmmmmm Hmmmm Good.

Oh and I buy 1 or 2% Cottage Cheese and it taste's pretty good.
  • alicenleroy
    Options
    I use a little cinnamon and a light sprinkle og Stevia (or sugar if you want it) You can also sprinkle with a high fiber cereal (like Fiber One)