"wheat belly"

Options
hi! so, people I know have recently become obsessed with the book Wheat Belly - I've never read it though.
But I thought WHOLE GRAINS were good for you? Are they not?
Canada's Food Guide recommends 6 servings a day - so I am very confused.

Replies

• dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Advertising from the people who want to sell us products does push the idea that grains are good for us. We are even told that our diet MUST have grains, and the whole grain is even better.

Grains are NOT needed in the diet, as several of us here have proven, by going grain free.

Some of us get ill by eating them. This is a true fact.

Does that mean everyone should go grain free? That would be a personal choice.
    But I do feel everyone should make themselves aware of the increase in genetically modified grain, before coming to their own conclusion.

I have read the book. Quite enlightening!!!
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    but I love whole grain toast and brown rice and quinoa too much :/ haha..
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    it's junk science. some M.D. trying to make a quick buck with a book.

here's a gluten-free advocate who researched the source material and has nothing good to say about the book:

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html
  • jessewynn77
    jessewynn77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't have to give up anything you want to keep eating. My husband and I have each lost about 25 lbs, while still eating things like whole wheat bread, pizza on whole wheat, etc, and rice. It's just all about balance. If you want to cut back on carbs, have them at one meal a day instead of all three, or just have smaller portions. You don't have to cut out anything you love! Just stay at or around your calorie goal :)
  • burkey2012
    Options
    I really do understand why it is considered junk science for some, but I have lost 50 lbs. since April, following the book religiously. My biggest concern is the cholesterol count from eggs, meat, etc., but a few things have happened. I'm still a little skeptical, because it is pretty wild, but I have basically given up any wheat, stopped drinking scotch, etc. Was taking good cholesterol medicine, now don't take it. Lowered blood pressure medicine from 40 mg to 20 mg, and about to stop taking that. Cholesterol readings and triglyceride readings have never been better. Had achilles tendinitis for 10 years, and for some reason no longer have it. To me, it is about balance like anything else. What I find weird is I don't miss the scotch, the bread, which is wild, because I could eat bread like no one else...large pizza, brown and serve rolls etc.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that read the book last year and follows it religiously. He has to get a little more creative when he cooks, but he's lost 30 pounds. He said that he went gluten free for the health benefits.

He didn't need to lose 30!
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    I like wheat, I eat wheat, I enjoy my wheat products, they don't make me sick, and I'm loosing weight while eating them.

There ARE people that have something called Celiac disease. It makes their bodies respond very badly to gluten, which is found in wheat. There are other presentations of a wheat sensitivity.

If you like it, eat it in moderation, and aren't sensitive to it, eat it. If it makes you sick, don't eat it.

Everyone's different.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting book. See if your local library has it and read it. Form your OWN opinion!
  • Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Both sides (the gluten haters and the grain lovers) just want to sell (products, books, lifestyles, substitudes, etc.). So eat everything you like (would be better if it is unprocessed stuff, but hasn't to be only) and you feel good with. Don't belive every hype, because you can be sure there is already another hype that tells the oposite. You can make most money with confused people. ;-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out the information in the book is dubious at best..... if you have a gluten allergy or sensitivity it makes sense to go gluten free.

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.ca/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

He's selling books and no one is going to get any press if they publish a book saying you should eat a balanced, healthy diet with a wide variety of foods etc etc. It's just not sensational......
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I think what he means is that the book itself is riddled with some interpretation problems. He apparently misinterpreted quite a few studies. He does indicate that doesn't mean the whole thing is bad but the reason he said it was bust is that the mistakes are quite high and that's a sign that someone didn't have it reviewed properly for errors. I'm sure he probably does have some good evidence her interpreted correctly. Of course, one reviewer does not make perfection. I would say I'd like to see the sources myself and make some judgments as to whether the reviewer read them correctly. It's interesting how many ways research can be interpreted.

Is going gluten free bad? No, I don't believe it is bad. I have a girlfriend whose diabetic and generally, the first thing that goes is wheat. She was told to eat it sparingly. I also think there may be people out there who are Celiac's and they were never diagnosed. That's something you can look into in the future. Once you lose the weight, you could reintroduce small amounts with a doctors help and have him check you for Celiac's OR if you think you love the way you eat - whose to say you shouldn't be allowed. I have a wheat allergy which is why I'm gluten free but it is ironic that people seem to go crazy and get all angry when someone says I gave it up. You'd swear they thought the person had gotten out of the life boat and refused to save themselves as the Titanic sank. Honestly, do what is right for you. If it works and you are seeing results - way to go and no one should criticize you were successful. :happy:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Mom in law has celiac disease. . .going wheat free has been a real life changer for her for the positive. None of us have wheat issues, so we eat it without too much consequence. If you knock out one of your larger sources of carbs, it would be pretty logical that weight would be lost.

Give it a go. See if it works for you. Personally, I only eliminate something from my life when it causes me problems.
  • RainbowBrightww23
    RainbowBrightww23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tested negative for Celiac, but have terrible GI issues that seem to become a bit better when I don't eat gluten. I never would have figured that out if I hadn't cut out gluten for an extended period of time, so I don't necessarily think it is a bad idea to try going gluten free just to see whether it influences your health in ways you didn't expect. That said I'm not fanatical about it, but I recognize that if I eat bread/pasta etc it has to be a once a month (max!) treat, because I will feel unwell for a while afterwards. Really, it just comes down to what monicalosesweight said: Do what is right for you!
  • RainbowBrightww23
    RainbowBrightww23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tested negative for Celiac, but have terrible GI issues that seem to become a bit better when I don't eat gluten. I never would have figured that out if I hadn't cut out gluten for an extended period of time, so I don't necessarily think it is a bad idea to try going gluten free just to see whether it influences your health in ways you didn't expect. That said I'm not fanatical about it, but I recognize that if I eat bread/pasta etc it has to be a once a month (max!) treat, because I will feel unwell for a while afterwards. Really, it just comes down to what monicalosesweight said: Do what is right for you!

PS. Both plain rice and quinoa are (generally) gluten free. However I don't know if they are "banned" by the Wheat Belly book.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

If you knock out one of your larger sources of carbs, it would be pretty logical that weight would be lost.

This. Most often it's not the wheat causing the problem itself, it's eating too many carbs and high calorie foods. Cutting out bread, pasta and baked goods really lowers your calorie intake. If you replace those foods with gluten free products you won't see the weight loss because most gluten free substitutes have more calories than the originals.

If you have a diagnosed wheat issue, then eliminate it. If you're looking for a quick fix for a large belly it probably isn't worth it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    hi! so, people I know have recently become obsessed with the book Wheat Belly - I've never read it though.
    But I thought WHOLE GRAINS were good for you? Are they not?
    Canada's Food Guide recommends 6 servings a day - so I am very confused.

You could easily make the case that whole grains are no better or even worse than more refined grains, but that does not mean they are bad for you or should be avoided. Personally give me the white rice, and white flour over whole wheat versions anyday
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Personally give me the white rice, and white flour over whole wheat versions anyday

because of the taste?
  • naner61
    Options
    The way I approach new ideas is to have an open mind and know that my body is different from everyone elses and I tweak and modify things to fit me. I did quit eating grains and sugar and get the bulk of my carbs from fruit and vegtables, started excercising more cardio and weight lifting and found that my menopausal poofy belly started to become less poofy. I am not hardcore with following no wheat but do find that when I do eat it my belly bloats and is quite uncomfortable and my joints ache more.
    Now people that is just me!
    As with anything you really need to do what fits for your body and everyone is different and there is NO ONE PLAN FITS ALL so as consumers it is our job to research, test, trail and error till we find what works. Reading new ideas and expanding your knowledge is always good....but always remember.....If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Personally give me the white rice, and white flour over whole wheat versions anyday

because of the taste?

Yup, the nutritional differences are not as great as you are lead to believe, so go for whatever you prefer the taste of. Same goes for sweet vs white potatoes