P90x in an apartment?

Options
So my husband ordered P90x a couple months ago, and we both want to try it out. The only problem: we live in an old Chicago apartment with flimsy dry-wall walls and ceilings. We can't even hang a pot rack from the ceiling, much less hang a pullup bar from a door frame, or find a way to rig the elastic bands to do the strength exercises. I *really* don't want to pull down a wall because I need my security deposit back when we move out!

Has anyone faced these problems? Any workarounds? Should I just skip the strength DVDs and go to the gym that day? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey in kind of the same situation don't trust the door frame won't rip down in our rented house. I'm thinking of doing p90x again in new year so looked up youtube for alternatives. There are videos there of people doing rows with dumbbells instead. They have to be heavy to simulate a pull up though but it basically works the same muscles.

Have a look yourself on youtube Good luck!
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    i dont do either, i just looked up online alternatives to a pull up and did those while they were doing there thing on the dvd. I use weights
  • racataca
    racataca Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What about the bands? The way my apartment is set up, there's no real door to jam the bands into and do rows with, etc. Did you also substitute weights in?

Basically it sounds like I'm gonna have to sub in hand weights for all my strength workouts BUT the heaviest hand weights I have are six pounds haha.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    You don't want to attach any weight bearing object to drywall. There must be something solid (wood studs?) that you can drill into

If not, think about buying a pullup station -- it takes more spaces.

Or if you have access to a gym or any kind of place where you can do pullups, just skip them during p90x and then do them -- or the equivalent elsewhere -- at the gym, park, whatever.
  • Fitness_withsarah
    Options
    Use the bands ! I used to hook the band around a door :) worked just as good as a pull up bar !
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I always used dumbells you would need to get a couple ranging in weight but definitely higher than 6 pounds. If you don't want to spend a lot of money you could just use bands, they always have one person on the dvd using just bands.
    You don't need to hook the bands to the door/wall just yourself :-) Youtube is your friend!