You're doing it wrong if you're thinking "how skinny feels"

Options

Replies

• marciat100
    marciat100 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All the posts and conversations here are REALLY fulfilling. Positive attitude and great conversations, leading to important personal reflections.

Thank you all!

My goal in life is to live 100, healthy and lucid/clever... MFP, this community, and having a healthy life is what will drive me to my goal.

All the conversation in this post shows me that when I am 100, I'll have a lot of friends there, too :):)
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think there is nothing inherently wrong with the phrase 'nothing tastes as good as skinny feels'. It can be very motivating if taken the right way. Some people find it very helpful to put a picture of themselves at a lower weight on their fridge to motivate them.

I can see that there are people who starve themselves while repeating this phrase over and over to themselves. However, for me, getting 'skinny' is about looking forward to a smaller me, while eating sensibly.
  • Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I agree for the most part. But there's nothing to say that "skinny" is unhealthy for everyone, or that it was achieved in an unhealthy manner.

agreed...^ and it's hard to separate out the likeliness of just a little subtle resentment of those who are naturally skinny (and i am meaning naturally able to keep their bodies physically looking 'good' without having to go to extreme measures).

Pretty sure the naturally skinny person isn't telling herself and others that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. So that person wouldn't find this thread applying to her.

This thread is NOT about body hate. It is against body hate. It is in opposition to a philosophy that implies that *all that matters* is a particular appearance. This thread is suggesting that this process and our bodies, no matter what shape or size, have so much more to offer than great sacrifice for only the reward of shape. There is *so* much more.
  • DankiStar
    Options
    Very cool. I said to my fiance last week - "I don't care what my body looks like anymore, I am just amazed at what it can do!!!" (I started pole dancing a few weeks ago and the things I have asked from my body recently have been pretty stressful, and it delivers nearly every time!)
  • gergie
    gergie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So glad someone finally had the guts (and glory) to say something like this! I hate, hate, hate that saying!
    I think it came from Kate Moss (the model) and we all know she was anorexic and bulimic!
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    PREACH sister preach!!!! Wanting to be skinny is a huge downfall for many people, woman in
    particular. I blame society manly but the second we realize that being HEALTHY is more
    important than being skinny the better off we will be.
    Skinny doesn't always equal healthy!
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    I prefer "nothing tastes as good as being FIT feels!"

Yep, me too!
  • healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have heard the saying "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels", but I never thought of it like you put it.... I appreciate your post. You make a lot of sense. Thank youl
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It always struck me as something someone with an ED would use as a mantra.
    To me, being a good steward of my body is my ultimate reward.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    True for the most part. But I'll just add that as a "slender" person who also really enjoys food, and as someone who is sometimes called skinny or stringy by larger people, I can say wholeheartedly, that for me, no food is worth being overweight for. I am a long-distance runner who also does some light weight training and I enjoy the feeling of "skinny" (aka lean) over the taste of a box of donuts any day.

It's my body type and I don't care if other people don't like it or think it's unhealthy. My doctor thinks I'm in great shape. It's a good thing that healthy people DON'T have to choose between eating food that tastes great and being a healthy weight. They just need to choose not to eat a TON of it. :flowerforyou:
  • jemjemsh
    jemjemsh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I prefer "nothing tastes as good as being FIT feels!"

Yep, me too!

Agreed!!
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nicely said.
  • vivianleemit
    Options
    Super inspirational, thanks for the boost (was definitely feeling down about my progress earlier today).
  • isitsororo
    Options
    I don't think it's our place to say that "skinny" isn't a worthwhile goal. Skinny means different things to different people, often it just means thin. MYOB. I agree with the statement "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" to some extent, because being thin/skinny is one of my goals. I'm not "doing it wrong." I don't feel the need to degrade your goals, and I don't see why you feel the need to degrade mine.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as my fat rolls feel when I roll around in bed and squish them and love my body the way it is.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    It's funny I've never interpreted it that way! I've always thought it was about making healthy choices. So if I eat a pint of blueberries big deal but a pint of icecream is an entirely different story. So to me the reminder is no matter how good the icecream tastes its best not to overdo junk food. I've been called skinny and I've never taken it as an insult. It's interesting that so many people feel this is a bad word/insult. I guess it's all about context. But anyway, nice post I get what you are saying and appreciate the sentiments. It seems a lot of people need the reminder :)
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    nothing tastes as good as a meal high in protein with healthy carbs, healthy fat and a ton of fresh veg after a good workout.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Innit!

Mine has to be...

...as being healthy feels

:smile:
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Absolutely <3 this! Thank you. No matter what I do I am not built to be a skinny person. I'm just not going to ever fit into that body type. I want to be strong, I want to have stamina. I want to live a healthy life full of fun things to do. Nothing tastes as good as FUN!