Why do I weigh more in the morning!?!?

Options
I have been weighing myself in the morning and weigh more than I do at night. Every thing I have found online is always saying how everyone weighs less in the morning than at night. Does anyone why I could weigh more in the morning?

Replies

• weidner
    weidner Posts: 127
    Options
    Sorry, I have never heard of that before!
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I always weigh less in the mornings. At night Im apt to be bloated and can weigh up to 5lbs more. Maybe you retain more water in the mornings??
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    that happens to me too, i think like the poster said before, i retain more water in the morning, and i work out in the evenings, so i sweat A LOT, which means less water in my body in the evening..
  • arfrazee
    arfrazee Posts: 518
    Options
    Do you urinate before you weigh yourself or after?
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If you weigh better at night, then weigh in at night. Why? Because there's no rule that says you have to weigh in when you wake up! It's only because it tends to work best for most people. Just pick a time of day and always weigh in at that time to keep it consistent. :drinker:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    make sure you go #1 and #2 before weighing in. Weigh on a flat, even surface (not carpet), and in your undies or birthday suit. You can't get much lighter on a daily basis than in your bday suit after a good bowel movement!
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Okay, not to be gross but do you have consistent BM's? If so, when? I weigh the least in the morning but I also have a BM every morning before weighing. So, just wondering if that might have anything to do with your lower weight in the evening.

Other than that - I've got nothing! I always weigh less in the morning!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    My husband is like this. For some reason his weight is higher first thing than it is mid day. I've even found that when I go home for lunch I am often a pound less or even exactly what I was in the morning (depending on breakfast and snacks, etc). Just weird. Maybe drank a lot of water before bed? If you work out in the evenings and then drink a lot of water some of it might be hanging around (also in your muscles).

Another possibility - I cook dinner at night and eat the lighter meals during the day cuz they're easier to bring to work, etc. So inevitably my dinner is higher in sodium than the rest of the food I eat that day. Maybe a little bloatation?
  • DrKloctopussy
    Options
    Short-term weight fluctuations (e.g. day-to-day differences) are mostly due to retained water/food in the tummy. Most people are "emptiest" in the morning after a long fast. But maybe you retain water differently or maybe you sleep walk and drink a lot of water. I wouldn't worry too much about it, long term trends are where the real fat loss happens :)
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    yep i concur with the good poo and a light dinner...if you eat your "biggest" meal at dinner then you wouldnt have time to rid it yet first thing in the morning...

but there is no rule about the am. weigh when you want to and use that time consistently. :bigsmile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the only rules I know of for weight loss are eat smart & work out! Other than that, weigh yourself consistently when you know you're usually your lightest (preferably after an awesome BM! LOL)
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the only rules I know of for weight loss are eat smart & work out! Other than that, weigh yourself consistently when you know you're usually your lightest (preferably after an awesome BM! LOL)

This.
  • nehadi23
    nehadi23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for advise and suggestions. I am just going to start weighing myself in the evenings instead of the mornings. :laugh:
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I also weigh more in the mornings. I always have regardless of bathroom visits and whatnot. That's why I like my late afternoon weigh in.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    I usually have to wait about an hour after I get up, because I tend to be holding water when I first wake up. Try about an hour after you get up