getting really hungry after a long bike ride

Options
I am riding up to around 20 to 25 kms nearly everyday and now struggling with the hunger after the ride.....what can I do to help with that ? any ideas please

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I do 16mile a day, 8miles to work and then 8 back. I have my banana once I get to work and then have another banana about an hour before I do the return the journey. Get home do a small workout, few weights and then have my dinner and that's it me done. I find that I don't have much of an appetite after the cycling. Make sure you're having plenty of water.

Not sure I answered the question directly but hopefully it helped in a little way.
  • stewy1963
    Options
    hi
    thank you for that I will try that I probably dont drink enough water out riding
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I only ride 5-10 miles a day
    but my advice
    have some protein before and after
    so have savory breakfast with eggs and or meat or yogurt ( if you cycle after b'fast)
    have some nuts and an oatcake,
    or banana and nut butter or
    cold sliced meat after

other stuff i like - hummus, cream cheese , cottage cheese, avocado and tomoatoes

drink plenty beofre during and after
    - milk is much disputed but may help as it is fluid and has carbs and protein
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    What time of day do you do your cycling? Is it possible to time it so that you have something like a protein bar or shake before the ride and come home to a proper meal?
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I bike 25 km every single day - 12.5 in the morning and 12.5 in the afternoon, and the afternoon ride makes me really hungry! I start each morning with a HUGE bowl of oatmeal, so I'm good until lunch. I started bringing a big lunch and eat around half of it at lunch time and then the rest about half an hour before my afternoon ride home. This has helped me a lot instead of eating everything at lunchtime and then only a bit of fruit in the afternoon.
  • stewy1963
    Options
    ok thats all good advice I was wondering about the protein if that would help I ride in the morning after breaky
  • Chrisswa
    Options
    I do a hour spin class 3 times a week ... i find if i eat 5 almonds just before hand it keeps the hunger at bay
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    ok thats all good advice I was wondering about the protein if that would help I ride in the morning after breaky

i have these for breakfast
    http://elliegonsalves.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/bodyism-pancakes.html
    I make 1/2 this mixture up the night before and it does me for 2 days ( only for me) they really keep me going!

if i am doing savory i add tomato and a.n.other veges - like avocado and poss some smoked salmon ( oh and i swap the cinnamon ffor turmeric