nail ridges

Options
Ok so i don't know where to put this thread but , I have really noticable horizontal ridges on 3 of 5 fingers on both hands. I checked online to see what it was and some sites said that it could be just trauma to the nail others said that it could be vitamin deficiency. So if anybody else has dealt with this or may have some advice could you lt me know. Thanks

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I had them when I was younger and if I remember it was vitamin deficiency.. I didn't take supplements, but they eventually went away..
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    are these vertical or horizontal?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Could be vitamin deficiency. The other possibility, if they are vertical, is something called Reynaud's syndrome (which basically makes you at higher risk of frostbite, but not much else). Do you find that your extremities get chilled very quickly, including your fingernails turning grey or your skin becoming motley at even slightly nippy temperatures?
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Possible zinc deficiency, or vitamin d or calcium. It's nothing that serious that warrants a doctor visit. Just mention it at your next checkup & they can run the blood work. You can also ask your pharmacist.

Edited for typo.
  • jessienmiller
    jessienmiller Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    They are horizontal ridges, and yes for about a year now if i get a little cold or hold something cold a few fingers on both hands go numb and turn white they stay that way for a while.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it might be Reynauds. Mention it to your Dr next time you see them.
  • justavoice1989
    justavoice1989 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Could be vitamin deficiency. The other possibility, if they are vertical, is something called Reynaud's syndrome (which basically makes you at higher risk of frostbite, but not much else). Do you find that your extremities get chilled very quickly, including your fingernails turning grey or your skin becoming motley at even slightly nippy temperatures?

^agreed with the whole Reynauds syndrome... my grandmother has that and i have symptoms of it but not enough to get a diagnosis. other possibilities, if they are verticle, can be found here:http://www.medicinenet.com/vertical_ridges_on_the_fingernails/symptoms.htm

ps. it mentions horizontal too.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have Raynaud's and my nails have ridges. Doesn't mean that's why you have them, but it might.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I have deep vertical ridges on all ten fingernails, I never considered it could indicate health issues...
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've had Raynaud's for years (not self diagnosed) and I didn't know it was a symptom until this thread! Lol. I had to look at my nails and check.
    I have deep vertical ridges on all ten fingernails, I never considered it could indicate health issues...
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Ok so i don't know where to put this thread but , I have really noticable horizontal ridges on 3 of 5 fingers on both hands. I checked online to see what it was and some sites said that it could be just trauma to the nail others said that it could be vitamin deficiency. So if anybody else has dealt with this or may have some advice could you lt me know. Thanks
    I had the same problem; having seen the title of your post, I checked them and noticed they're all gone. I don't know if it has to do with my diet being better, the addition of calcium supplements, or that I haven't slammed my fingers into/in anything recently. Either way, I'm happy they're gone, but I can't give you any advice about it.