Loose skin?

Options
Hi, I'm always worrying about this, in fact it's enough to put me off losing weight, so I need some reassurance.

I've had two children, so I accept that my stomach may never be perfect, but I'm 5'8 and 238lbs, I want to be 154lbs, do you think I'd end up with much/any loose skin? I'm a larger build, and my weight is evenly distributed, so I don't have loads of rolls or anything, I just look really large.

Do you think there's any hope for my stomach? I'm going running, and will start the 30 day shred soon, so I'll be toning as well as losing.

Any help appreciated!
tia x

Replies

• GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Drink water and start lifting weights. Like a guy. Not a girl. You won't bulk if your body isn't built to bulk, but your body will look better for it. That includes some loose skin.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Toning is about all you can do to reduce the loose skin other than making sure the skin is super moisturized all the time, though I don't know if there's proof the second part works.
  • lisamlc
    Options
    I have lost 47lbs so far and no loose skin yet! I am also running and doing the 30DS to tone. I have a lot more to lose but to be honest I think I would rather be a healthy weight with loose skin than to have tight skin full of fat!

Good luck :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of factors - you're still fairly young. But it will also depend on how long you had the weight etc.
    And a bit of random luck it seems - some people get it and some people don't.
    For some people it disappears quickly and others it takes a long time.

The heaviest I was recently was 225, which I've been a good few times in my life. Now around 170 and I've got a teeny bit - but not noticable a lot of the time. I plan to do a bit of 'bulking' when I hit my goal, so hoping that will both fill it out a bit (noticeable that just tensing muscles etc can make it disappear as the skin is pulled) and give it time to shrink.

Have a look at people that have lost weight but have a bit )or more) of loose skin too - I have not seen one of them who has wished they didn't lose weight.

Further, not only can you always stop, but of course it's pretty easy to put on weight (well, for most of on here) if you end up deciding you really don't like the way your body looks.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I was pregnant with a food baby for most of my life.

Whilst I still have a bit of a pooch, it is nowhere near as bad as it probably should be! And to be honest, my pooch is the only place I have any loose skin - my arms and legs are pretty good.

I attribute this to the following:

- slow and steady weight loss (stomach bugs aside, I never lost more than 2lb a week)
    - weight loss through both exercise and diet
    - incorporating kettlebells into my exercise routine - I swear these saved my arms of loose skin
    - past few months, I've incorporated regular heavier lifting into my routine to start the last bits of shaping up, and it's made the world of difference
    - WATER WATER WATER

Hope this helps! A significant loss doesn't have to automatically equate to saggy hell.
  • cathomer
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll get going on the 30ds then, and then I will look in to joining the gym next year when I'm a bit more flush. Must remember to drink more water! I'm terrible for that, or drinking anything really, I forget, might put a notice up for that as well as the motivational quotes in my kitchen :)
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you eat well, moisturise a lot and do regular exercise then you should be grand as you aren't morbidly obese at all!
    Don't worry about loose skin at all. Even if you get it(which is probably never gonna happen!) isn't it better to have some loose skin and be a healthy weight??

When I started this I was 221lbs and am now just under 184lbs
    I gained the weight fast so ended up with horrible stretch marks on the bottom of my tummy. Well I'm absolutely delighted now because they are all gone!!!
    Didn't do any fads at all either so it is possible!

Diet alone wont get you the body you want in the long run but you don't need to be an exercise maniac either, I'm certainly not!

Hope you manage to form a plan and stick to it

Any help just message me!

Xox