Ideas to boost metabolism please!

Options
Hi everyone,

So i'm getting older (29 next month) and althoguh I exercise regularly, I am aware that my metabolism will be slowing down as I age (if it hasn't already done so!). I've heard there are various ways to increase your metabolism, so I was just wondering if people have any suggestions, if these actually work and are feasible in the real world (I don't wanna eat a million chilli's for instance!!) :0

Thanks and happy Friday everyone!

Replies

• sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There all mostly gimmics!, the best way to boost your metabolism is through exersize and the 'afterburn' from after working out (especially that from strength training).... most of the pills like 'thermobol' (and others) although are loaded with caffene, green tea, chilli etc. etc. will make like 40kcal difference in a whole day, you'll loose alot of weight but only as your wallet diminishes!

Si x
  • ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Us young people just have to work a little bit harder unfortunately
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Start lifting heavy weights now while you are still young. Build as much muscle mass as you possibly can, that will keep your body burning calories at a fast rate as you age.
  • Jester522
    Options
    One can't really boost metabolism much more past its basal metabolic rate. Slowing of metabolism is very possible. Ways to increase metabolic speed include:
    Eating enough calories
    Frequent exercise
    Adequate sleep
    Less on the high glycemic carb intake
    Portion control
    Increase muscle mass

Also, the thermogenic effects of food can e considered. Protein is the highest so you could try making that the majority of your calories.
  • LarryD2012
    Options
    Ahhh, to be 29 again, or 39, or 49, or 59 :) I think the real problem is that as we age we spend more time on our butts than on our feet. You won't go wrong following Jester's advice. All I'll add is find fun activities and do them frequently.

"You'll rust out a lot sooner than you'll wear out."
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism actually doesn't slow down in any significant amount as you age. What happens is most people become less active, lose lean muscle mass and eat more. Maintaining your muscles through exercise and watching your diet are the best defensive against being over weight as you age.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/501141-what-age-does-your-metabolism-slow-down/
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I have so far steered clear of Jillian Michaels on the bookstore shelves in case she was the physical health equivalent of personal finance guru Suze Orman, but my fears were unfounded. Yesterday I picked up her Master Your Metabolism. This is not an exercise book, she writes, so I moved on. I noted that when Michaels says "I want you to", it actually feels good.

She won me over with her balanced approach on carbs and fat and on the time between meals. Four hours inbetween each of breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and dinner. Breaks no longer in the name of keeping your blood sugar steady and no shorter in order to give your body the needed rest. The afternoon snack is something like nuts and an apple.

Something to keep mind given your metabolism by nature decreases five percent per decade after the peak age of 25 years. Yet too much boosting it will also speed up aging.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have heard green tea in the morning is a great way to speed up your metabolism. You also need to be sure that instead of eating 3 meals a day you are eating 3 small meals and 3 snacks... you have to eat throughout the day to keep your metabolism moving.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Work out, gain muscle.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I have heard green tea in the morning is a great way to speed up your metabolism. You also need to be sure that instead of eating 3 meals a day you are eating 3 small meals and 3 snacks... you have to eat throughout the day to keep your metabolism moving.

Complete broscience.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Complete broscience.

Studies show that the number of meals and the time of intake makes zero difference to the metabolism, provided that the total number of calories remain static.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    One can't really boost metabolism much more past its basal metabolic rate. Slowing of metabolism is very possible. Ways to increase metabolic speed include:
    Eating enough calories
    Frequent exercise
    Adequate sleep
    Portion control
    Increase muscle mass

Also, the thermogenic effects of food can e considered. Protein is the highest so you could try making that the majority of your calories.

Actual science.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Increase your activity.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

False.

Green tea doesn't boost your metabolism.... well other than the maybe extra 10 calories from the caffiene.

Whether you eat once a day or 6 times a day, your metabolism will be the same.

OP, the only way to really increase your metabolism would be to build muscle. The way to build muscle is to max out on protein, lift heavy and eat at a slight surplus.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    use the stairs. walk as often as you can. use a bike instead of a car
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Eating enough calories
    Frequent exercise
    Adequate sleep
    Portion control
    Increase muscle mass

Agree, especially the eat enough and exercise part. Women who don't eat enough and yo-yo diet especially will kill metabolism. Been there!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    There really is no way to boost your metabolism. Muscle DOES burn calories more efficiently (i.e read: faster and more) than fat itself, so strength training might be something to add to your workout.
  • Wanting2BSkinny
    Options
    bump
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Eating enough calories
    Frequent exercise
    Adequate sleep
    Portion control
    Increase muscle mass

^This.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You increase metabolism in 2 ways: eating and working out