Beans from scratch...rinse after cooking?

Options
lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
So, I'm cooking black beans...first time I've cooked beans...ever. I don't eat beans so I don't know when they're done cooking, etc, so I've been going back and forth to my husband to make sure it's all a-okay.

One thing we both don't know....do I rinse the beans AFTER I'm done cooking?

Replies

• SophieSLP
    SophieSLP Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    No, rinse the beans BEFORE cooking. You want to get any dirt off of them. And don't add any salt until they are all done cooking or else they won't get soft!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat legumes regularly for my food plan. Soak them for a couple of hours at least, then use a strainer/colander to get the old water out and rinse the beans thoroughly. Then put new fresh pure water in to cook.

The bigger the sauce pan, the better.

Good luck!

ps: don't add salt period. Herb Ox has two sodium free bouillon packets in beef or chicken flavor that are mucho tasty.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat legumes regularly for my food plan. Soak them for a couple of hours at least, then use a strainer/colander to get the old water out and rinse the beans thoroughly. Then put new fresh pure water in to cook.

The bigger the sauce pan, the better.

Good luck!

^^^This is how I do it too.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I did the rinsing before hand, and cooked it...

So I DON'T rinse after cooking?

That's what I'm confused about...

I know I probably sound like an idiot but I googled the crap out of this. lol
  • qnih
    qnih Posts: 16
    Options
    The way I cook them is as described here: http://thehousingforum.com/how-to-cook-black-beans-from-scratch/

You don't need to rinse the beans after cooking. If you cook them on their own, you'll probably want to drain the water. But it's also fine to cook them in, say, a stew, in which case the water from the beans would infuse the stew.