High Protein for Weight Loss??

Options
I've read a lot about high protein and it's benefits - what I'm not clear on is how beneficial it would be to me. I'm more interested in losing weight than "bulking up". I'm not a weight lifter and cannot see that in my future. I do however want to be healthy more than I want to be skinny. I'm 44 years old, 211 pounds aiming for 140; also relevant is that I have high blood pressure & a horrible family history of heart disease, I need to watch my sodium and fat too.

Any opinions on how much protein I should be eating each day? Which is more important - the # of grams consumed or the percentage of total calories? And is there an easy way to keep track of those percentages - something I'm missing that I can track on MFP maybe? Any other relevant thoughts or input?

Thank you for whatever suggestions and advice you can give.

Traci : D

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Even if you aren't lifting, higher amounts of protein in your diet will help prevent loss of lean body mass, as well as help with satiety. One study published in the American Journal of Medicine suggested 72 grams of protein for women who are losing weight.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Women tend not to bulk due to hormone differences; it is hard to build muscle. Weight lifting offers a great benefit as for toning and preventing sag. Best wishes on your journey.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Is so, what type are you doing?

And I would actually suggest to do some resistance training anyway as it will help preserve LBM loss while dieting.

If you are sedentary is is generally recommended to have a minimum of approx. 0.6 - 0.8g of protein per lb of LBM and 1g per lb of LBM if you are exercising. 1g of protein = 4 cals. You can calculate the % based on your calories using that.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Don't know how tall you are (I'm 5'6"), and I'm of similar age and stats regarding start weight and goal. I aim for .8 to 1 gram of protein per lb of LBM which for me is between 88 and 110 grams daily. I think the grams are more important than the ratio. I have just recently started excercising and lifting, but my protein goals have not changed.
  • adelesales
    adelesales Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How would you work out your LBM?

Thanks x
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    How would you work out your LBM?

Thanks x

Some good infor on LBM and body fat percentages here:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/