weight lifting cardio question

Options
Ok Question.....was thinking of changing the way i workout to a new routine to keep things fresh.....thinking of making my workouts as such....30 minute cardio warmup then lifting for my Arms one day and the next 30 minute cardio warmup and lifting for legs the next. Does this sound productive? please be kind the weight lifting thing is new to me. Just trying to mix things up so i dont get bored with my routine.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    5 minutes cardio warm up is sufficient before strength training.

i do full body strength 3x a week, and cardio 1-2 x per week.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would say you don't need as much of a warm up.

Also, it is might be a little more productive use of your time to work out your entire body, or at least work out larger muscle groups (i.e. Chest, back and legs) every time you work out. You can certainly alternate between upper and lower body, but I would only recommend that if you are working out every day.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You need a proper routine as well. Look up New rules of weightlifting or SL 5x5. Don't make your own routine unless you are highly educated in fitness. There's more to work than legs and arms. :wink:

thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women
    stronglifts.com
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    On weight training days - warm up only for 5-10 minutes MAX. Lift heavy for 30-60 minutes then cool down for about 10-15 minutes. If you must do cardio keep it low-moderate pace for no more than 45 minutes, and only AFTER lifting.

Try to keep cardio or Hiit to non-lift days.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    5 minutes cardio warm up is sufficient before strength training.

i do full body strength 3x a week, and cardio 1-2 x per week.

This. Try NROL4W, Starting Strength, or Stronglifts 5x5
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Definitely most productive use of time is compound lifts (working multiple muscle groups each time) 2-3x/week. Just make sure you have at least one rest day between to allow the muscles to repair (for example, right now I lift Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday).
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do both cardio and strength, you want just a short (5min) warm up, then strength training, then finish with cardio. It is safer to do strength training first, as you won't be tired out. Plus cardio is more effective after the strength training. Check out "The New Rules of Lifting For Wormen". It's a very effective program. I saw immediate results ;)
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Divide your body up by how many days you are going to be lifting, if you can't commit to lifting at least 3 days a week, then do full body circuits at least 2X a week, make sure you allow for enough recovery time to avoid injury. My weeks look like this:

Day 1: Legs (quads, hamstrings, calves & butt)
    Day 2: Chest and back
    Day 3: bi's, tri's & shoulders

If I can schedule for more days lifting I will break day 2 & 3 up and really hit each one hard. I mix up my exercises, and periodize my workouts so that I am not doing the same thing for the same amount fo reps each time.

30 minutes of cardio "warm up" is a lot. 10 minutes is a good warm up, you want to keep your heart rate in that nice fat buring zone.

Good luck!!
  • ktaqt3399
    ktaqt3399 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    thanks your advice is appreciated!