Wii fit vs Xbox

Options
We are looking into get some kind of game system. I was wondering if anyone has a preference between the Wii or the Xbox (or any other system). I know there are exercise programs to go on these systems but I have never used them. Please let me know what you like, dislike, and anything else I should know about them before buying one. thanks

Replies

• mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    do either of them have a HRM with them? I am not great with technology so if one is harder to program that may be bad for me. User friendliness is a good feature too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have both a Wii & an Xbox. My exercise "games" are for the Wii - but if you're just starting out I'd probably get the X-box w/Kinect. With the Wii you have to hold a controller and w/the Kinect you don't. It is kind of a pain to hold the remote sometimes, and other times you're not using the remote much and it pauses the game and you have to push a button to get going again. Also I have one exercise program and the Wii doesn't always catch my movements and it won't go on - super irritating! The kinect is made to see your movement so it shouldn't have this problem.

Neither come w/an HRM - that would be a separate item. I have the polar ft4.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    Thank you. what kind of 'games' are available for each?
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    I spoke with some teenagers today and they said the xbox was their choice. I think I'm leaning toward the xbox.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Options
    anyone else with an opinion??
  • bneg92
    bneg92 Posts: 10
    Options
    i have both xbox and the wii but only work out on the wii i have EA sports active nfl training camp i try to do it everyday the workouts are great im sore after eachone and there is difficulty levels but as mentioned before sometimes the wii wont detect your movements this game comes with a hear rate monitor and i have read that it is very acurate when compared with an hmr i would like to try the xbox out but dont have a kinect at moment =(
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer the wii. I'm not a technologically savvy person and the times I played my brothers xbox ended in me peeved cause I didnt really know what I was doing. I picked up the Wii right away though. And the wii fit was even easier for me to figure out. I like the wii fit because it's easy to figure out yet provides a challenge. I also invested in The Biggest Loser Challenge for wii and love getting my butt chewed by Bob and Jillian!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i suck with all the new age videogameing,but, i know dont like the wii!
    and if your using it for exercise purpouses i dont think you should get a wii.
    cause your holding the controller. BUT YOU CAN cheat as long as your moving the controller the way it wants you to.

with the Xbox and Xbox Kinect, your body is the controller. you cant cheat because the censor knows if you are or aren't moving your leg or your arm.. thus making you actually work.
    and Xbox Kinect comes with a free game.

off the top of my head they have.
    Dance Central and Dance Central 2.
    Just Dance.
    Kinect Sports.
    Zumba.
    Carnival games.
    there coming out with some kinect game where your actually the machine and you have to work it and shoot people and stuff(saw the preveiws for it in the movie theatre.)
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    We have both xbox and wii (xbox is hubby's, wii is mine). I don't have wii fit (it is on my christmas list, though), but we do have a lot of kinnect games. Just played fruit ninja for an hr on Saturday, and my arms are still sore!! The kinnect can be picky about it's placement, etc, but we love it.

Not helpful, huh. I think whichever way you go, you'll have fun.
  • maxiimise
    maxiimise Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've never used wii fit, but I know even for regular games I prefer xbox over the wii. My main form of exercise was dance central. I LOVE it. It was my way to listen to music, dance and get exercise all at the same time. and there's downloadable songs for the ones you don't have. Dance Central 3 just came out but sadly I don't have access to the xbox anymore. It was my exes :(
  • hismrs021511
    Options
    I have Zumba Rush for the Xbox. It's an absolutely great workout. It takes a bit to get the steps down but the more you work at it, the more you're working out. I enjoy it. And there's enough workouts that you won't get bored.
  • SouthernDad
    SouthernDad Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've got all three systems. Wii with Fit, XBox 360 with Kinect and the PS3. I've used both the Wii and the XBox 360 for exercise. The Wii is easier to cheat on. That XBox 360 Kinect tracks your arms, legs and everything. No faking it o this puppy. I've done one of the dance programs with the Wii while standing still just moving the controller.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii but Wii Fit as an exercise program is a joke. I like EA Sports Active 2 for the Wii and that game comes with a HRM to be used with the game.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have My Shape Fitness Evolved for the Kinect. Amoung everything else it has cardio boxing which is my go-to if I'm staying in instead of to the gym.
  • cwrugiraffe
    cwrugiraffe Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have barely touched our Wii since we got the Xbox/Kinect. My personal favorite is the Dance Central line, but I've tried quite a few that are a great workout.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Between the two, Xbox with Kinnect.

We have both.

Any of the kinnect ready games require you to be up and moving to play. Which is fun. No cheating with the controller, no balance platforn needed like with the Wii.

Heck, we have some games that my 4 yr old plays (here's how easy the Xbox kinnect is, my 4 year old knows how to operate it), that I will play along with him, and they will get my heart rate up. Lots of bouncing around waving your arms or kicking out your legs.....much more fun than just a workout video.....although we have those too.
  • JBuehrer1
    JBuehrer1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like my Wii Fit. I got it at a garage sale! My hubby just showed me how to use it. Sure, you can cheat, but that wouldn't help you any and kind of defeats the purpose. The reasons I like it: The Mii people make me feel like I'm exercising with someone, not alone (and they are so smilely), so I'm more apt to do it. My kids like to watch it while I "exercise". My three year old is like "do that one mommy, do that one" (the bike, or the parade, or the kung fu, or the obstacle course) and "do it again mommy". So I have "exercise buddies" and a "personal trainer" (my daughter) to motivate me! I haven't been doing it long, and wonder if it will really help me lose weight, but at least I'm more active than I was a few weeks ago! I just wish there was a better way to log it on here. I just put in a time until it matches the right calories that it says I burned.
  • smiles_mmm
    smiles_mmm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have both. Honestly though I am getting rid of the wii. I like the xbox w/kinect way more. It is so accurate. It senses any movement. On my xbox I have zumba rush, my ex did the ufc trainer and loved it with the heart monitor. I have done it a few times and its intense. I also have a few just dance games which I love, and xbox kinect adventures which is different but SO much fun. On my wii I have tennis which is ok but doesn't always get movements, Boxing which I love and will get for the kinect and the biggest loser which I found I did not like. It is too easy to just do the movements with the remote ( and I am easily tempted) lol
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba and Zumba Core for Wii and really like it. You don't have to hold the controller because it fits into a belt, which is surprisingly comfortable. The Zumba games track calories you've burned and, although I think it's vastly exaggerated, it gives you a rough idea. There are also a number of 'motivational' tools in the game if you like that sort of thing... accumulating stars to "unlock" certain extras, etc. but most of them are dorky, IMO.

I also have a few Just Dance games for Wii and they're fun too, for variety.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I prefer Xbox all the way. The Wii drove me crazy for working out. When I started to try Wii Active, it was terrible. It wouldn't pick up my movements properly and I would get so frustrated I would just quit. The Xbox is really good at catching your form and letting you know where you should correct. It is also harder to cheat.

The only issue I feel is you need enough space for the Kinect to do the exercise and for the sensor to see you. You might have to spend extra to get the attachment that allows for smaller spaces. With the Wii, you don't have to be directly in front of the screen. I could go somewhere else in the room and still see the TV and do the workout.