Left hip pain with jogging

Options
Is there any truth in the idea that you need to be fitted for special shoes? I went to the track on Saturday to try and jog and that night my right shin and left hip were painful.

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I had right hip pain while running/walking and ended up going to a chiropractor....I was so out of alignment......
  • kjanoudi
    Options
    Does the pain get any better when you try hip stretches? In particular, does this focus on the point of tension: http://www.bodyresults.com/_iexer/wall-hip-stretch.bmp
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! I'm just guessing here but it sounds like you might be out of alignment and your muscles/tendons/joints are sore because they're not in proper position. Part of that may be solved with the correct shoes (and possibly inserts) but you may also either need to see a chiropractor or at least start doing some overall core exercises. A lot of runners have hip and knee pain and from the research I've done, both of these stem from the lower back and upper glutes being weak and therefore not supportive enough so that other muscles and joints are taking the brunt when you run.

Try exercises like supermans, bridges (aka pelvic thrust) and deadlifts to help strengthen that area. Also make sure you stretch your hips really well after your run as tight hip flexors will also throw you out of whack. When you run, make sure you're landing mid foot or ball (not heel), concentrate on taking nice even strides and engaging your core. I know that's a lot to keep in mind but it does help!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I also had some pain in my left hip while running--it loosened up after about a mile, but was pretty painful. I went to the chiro, and he said because of my alignment, my left side was actually "shorter" so was striking harder. I went to the chiro for about 10 weeks, and I haven't had any issues since. Highly recommend it...

p.s.--I always had really good shoes, so if you don't, that's the best first step!
  • blueeyedrunner71
    blueeyedrunner71 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    :drinker: If you are not stretching, it is IMOPTANT to stretch daily.
    When I started stretching my lower back pain went away and calf pain was less...
    I also think you should go to the chiropractor at least once to see what they have to say about you’re alignment...
    I also was a person that was way out of alignment...stretching helped this... :smile
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    is the track flat or angled - if you always run on a slant (like on side of the road or the pavement/sidewalk) this can cause pain on one side or the other!

once side of your body may be naturally weaker ( i am right handed and left footed so i tend to get right knee pain because if i am lazy i put less effort into lunges with my right leg and other exercises; )

i would also sat that although i run in minimal shoes unless you pronate or suponate heavily technique is more important than fancy shoes!
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Good shoes really do help, but STRETCH. I get really really tight in my IT band and hip flexor when I run. A good deep stretch for both is like...heaven on earth if you have tightness in both. However, I would say if you're having shin pain as well you probably need to look into some new shoes
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Be really careful with your joints~ I had the same thing, went to an ortho and found out I had osteoarthritis! Kinda sucks, but I still exercise almost daily, but keep it low to the floor! No running for me, which makes me sad!
  • phillieschic
    Options
    GOOD running shoes? Yes. Love my Brooks.

Sounds like it might benefit you to stretch, warm- up, slow your pace and then cool down properly.

I also take glucosamine and chondroiton...it's amazing for your joints...and I run up to 5 miles a day, 5-6 times a week.\

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Stretch!! I haven't had any hip or IT problems since I started doing Yoga. Stretches, strengthens and just makes you feel good! Here is a site I stumbled on:
    http://www.athleta.net/2011/03/14/yoga-for-runners/

My hips are out of alignment quite frequently but stretching (for me) helps realign them.
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have finally been able to run a mile on the treadmill and was pretty discouraged that I was only able to make it around the track 1.5 times without stopping to walk. I hope that this will get better. I really thought I could do four laps without stopping. I so want to be able to run a mile outside and many more after that. I will go to Pacers and Racers this week and try some new shoes. I just bought some $70 asics but maybe they are not the right fit for my running. Thanks for all the advice.
  • Sixel
    Sixel Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If this continues to hurt, don't wait to long and see your gp or a physiotherapist. It can be all kinds of things.

I had surgery on my hip and spent months/years recovering. Due to a lot of training with the physiotherapist (strength, stretching,...) I can run again but it's a constant balancing act (not too fast, not too long,...).

Good luck!
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    agree with the good running shoes, try to switch them out before they get too worn. Each brand will be different so go to a good store and have the sales person help you
    Totally agree on the daily stretching and work on your core. I was out of whack 3 years ago and went to PT and it was all alignment and core work - planks, streatching, you name it

Good luck and if it is hurting regulary, go see a Dr to get a professional opinion