need some thanksgiving recipes

Options
mandy0688
mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
I am cooking Thanksgiving for the first time ever. I am 24 and this year my fiance and his parents and siblings will be here and I need some ideas. I would prefer healthy ideas. I got kids coming over and one of them is EXTREMELY picky. I would love ideas whether they are low cal (preferred) and awesome or healthy.

Replies

• VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am cooking Thanksgiving for the first time ever. I am 24 and this year my fiance and his parents and siblings will be here and I need some ideas. I would prefer healthy ideas. I got kids coming over and one of them is EXTREMELY picky. I would love ideas whether they are low cal (preferred) and awesome or healthy.

Check out this website for some to plan your Thanksgiving feast. "EatingWell.com" has your back with this selection of Turkey Day recipes that are easy, elegant and a whole lot healthier than your standard fare. Find the perfect recipes for your Thanksgiving feast today!

LINK: http://newsletter.eatingwell.com/hosted?Z4gvKJo622szTB0CWzQ5xjhVN6kQZpoKYljXxQT-Hqp4DP549C8tClJsGPFUlmwrgrkY-g==
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Chicken/Turkey gravy
    495 calories in the pot
    Makes 5 cups
    99 calories per cup

1 can cream of chicken condensed soup (it's in about the 10 ounce range)

2-3 tsp Chicken base. I used Better Than Bouillon brand. If you are buying it I'd suggest you get the low sodium one. But if you're using their original chicken one just use 2 tsp because 3 tsp gets pretty salty for my taste. Or, if you didn't want to buy something new you could substitute chicken bouillon cubes/powder.

3 cans of water (use the cream of chicken can) or if you have chicken or turkey drippings use some of those for flavor, but the calories count just using water.

5 tablespoons cornstarch

Make sure you mix your cornstarch into COOL water (I do it on my first can of water.. dump half the water into the pot then mix the cornstarch into the other half. Cook until it thickens.. stir often. I use a whisk.

Mashed Potatoes (cut with cabbage)
    Makes 9 cups
    1067 calories in whole pot
    119 calories per cup

2 3/4# regular potatoes, skins on
    1# 6 oz green cabbage (red cabbage makes them a funny color, my family wasn't thrilled)
    3 tsp liquid smoke, hickory
    1 1/2 tsp garlic salt (I use 5th season.. the 50 cent one from Walmart)

Boil in water until the potatoes start falling apart. I turn it down to medium when the starches start making the liquid spit out of the pot. I use a handmixer to blend it. Not all the cabbage will blend in. IF it's too watery add some instant potato flakes. But add that to your calorie figure.
    Broccoli
    Boil with a sprinkle of garlic salt until it's a little soft. About 55 calories a cup.

Oh, I just cooked my first turkey EVER and I'm almost 29... and I cook a lot! For a long time we had an apartment sized stove that wasn't big enough to fit a turkey. We got this really cute turkey pan for our wedding.. first time it got used and in 3 months it'll be 10 years. Sad it took that long. But we finally have kids now that'll help us eat a turkey.

DON'T TRUST THE POPPER! Mine never went off. I could tell it was done though and just took it out. It was perfect, crispy skin and juicy meat. If you overcook them they get dry :( So if we had trusted the popper it would have not turned out as well.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Awesome Ideas, I would have to steal thanks everyone. Anymore please put them in
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    I had a turkey frying party yesterday and just inputted the nutritional information for some of the stuff I made. I wasn't shooting for healthy, but you can absolutely substitute!

Bacon wrapped stuffed dates are very simple to make, delicious, and a nice appetizer. If thinking healthy you can substitute the chorizo sausage and nix the maple syrup. Some ideas: part skim ricotta cheese, marscapone cheese, almonds, or pecans with turkey bacon, but I would go with regular bacon.

Ingredients

16 Medjool pitted dates
    1 pound Spanish chorizo, cut into small box to fit into dates
    5 slices bacon, cut into thirds
    1/3 cup maple syrup

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet tray with silicone baking mat or parchment.

Make an incision on one side of each date and insert a block of chorizo. Squeeze the date shut in your hand to secure. Wrap each date with a bacon strip and secure with a toothpick. Place all the dates on the prepared sheet tray. Roast the dates in the oven until the bacon on top is starting to crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the dates over and repeat the process.

Remove the dates from the oven and brush both sides with the maple syrup. Return the dates to the oven until the dates are really crackly and sticky, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.

Serves 8 (two dates per person).

Total Cals: 442
    Carbs: 47
    Fat: 9
    Protein: 10
    Sodium: 325

Sweet Corn Bread Pudding (This WON and was the easiest to make):

Ingredients

1/2 onion, diced fine
    1 ounce unsalted butter
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 teaspoon rosemary
    1 (15-ounce) can creamed style sweet corn
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, whole grain, stone ground
    1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    Ground black pepper
    2 cups cubed French bread

Directions

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Sweat onions with butter and herbs in an oven safe skillet until translucent.

Combine corn, cream, eggs, baking powder, cornmeal, Parmesan, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add cubed bread and fold to combine. Pour batter into skillet, right on top of the onion mixture. Bake 50 minutes, or until set. Cool slightly before serving.

Serves 8 generously

Cals: 274
    Carbs: 25
    Fat: 16
    Protein: 6
    Sodium: 299

Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Sliced Tomatoes on Top (the macaroni was gluten free, just a heads up for nutritional info)

This looked pretty! :)

Ingredients

Kosher salt
    Vegetable oil
    1 pound elbow macaroni or cavatappi
    1 quart milk
    8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, divided
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    12 ounces Gruyere, grated (4 cups)
    8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, grated (2 cups)
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    3/4 pound fresh tomatoes (4 small)
    1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.

Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.

Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.

Serves 8 generously

Cals: 729
    Carbs: 60
    Fat: 39
    Protein: 30
    Sodium: 453

Mulled Red Wine with Apple Cider (tasted like Christmas in a cup) LOVED:

4 cups apple cider
    1 (750-ml) bottle red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
    1/4 cup honey
    2 cinnamon sticks
    1 orange, zested and juiced
    4 whole cloves
    3 star anise
    4 oranges, peeled, for garnish

Directions

Combine the cider, wine, honey, cinnamon sticks, zest, juice, cloves and star anise in a large saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Pour into mugs, add an orange peel to each and serve.

No nutritional information but simple:

Green beans blanched, toss them in ice water to keep from getting soggy, then saute (quickly) in butter, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper

Simple salad: Mixed greens, pears, gorgonzola cheese, walnuts, dried cranberries or raisins with dressing: extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, dijon mustard, and a little honey)

Happy Thanksgiving! :flowerforyou:
  • maedella
    Options
    I have been cooking Thanksgiving dinner for my family since I was 16 and it is one the most unhealthy meals of the year! LOL! My suggestion would be to use what ever recipes you may have from family or internet and just replace ingredients with healthier options. Thats what I do and noone notices the difference. For example if a recipe asks for milk you can use skim. If a recipe askes for butter you can use I cant believe its not butter. You can use low sodium chicken broth etc. When you do your grocery shopping there all all kinds of heathy options and your family will not know the difference. Good luck!:smile:
  • tatcatzoogrl
    Options
    Green bean casserole

1 can sliced water chestnuts
    4 cans french style green beans
    1 large can french fried onions
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup
    1 can cheddar cheese soup
    salt
    pepper
    paprika
    milk

Drain green beans & water chestnuts. Combine & heat soups in saucepan - add milk until consistency of sauce (about 1 soupcan maybe less). Add salt, pepper & paprika to taste (not much paprike, try 1/4-1/2 tsp.) Layer in casserole - alternate green beans, water chestnuts and onions. Pour soup mixture over all - top w/ onions. Bake until bubbly about 20min. at 325 degrees F.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Good luck with cooking your first Thanksgiving meal!