Do you plan ahead meals?

Options

Replies

• Tamefearnua
    Options
    no list or plan
    I go shopping twice a week and pick whats fresh and or whats on offer.
    Little or no processed food.
    The weeks menu are created in my head when I cook.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    YES! My motto is if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I grocery shop according to what I intend to fix during the week, but it's not always planned out to the day because sometimes my work gets in the way of fixing what I had planned, but I don't buy a bunch of extra stuff, and I cook several things over the weekend so I have stuff to heat up that's healthy in case I don't have time to cook what I planned.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. One of my daily obsessions (and keys to success). :wink:
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!

if i dont preplan my day I mess it up. I like knowing what all my food adds up to so if i need to switch something up because my carb or sugar total will be way off I know it beforehand

it works for me :)
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Always.....but only plan today for tomorrow etc. Helps ME stay on track and tweak when I need to. :smile:
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    My husband & I get paid bi-weekly, so I do shopping on pay weeks and plan out our meals prior to the shopping trip. It really helps us stay on track.
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I do some pre-planning, especially if I am eating at a restaurant or at someone else's house. Invariably I'll have to make a few alterations, but it helps me see where I'm going. This has become even more important since I've been trying to "up" my protein to the 95-99 range. I don't want to get to the end of the day and see I still need 40 or more grams of protein!!! (I don't eat meat, so that cuts out an easy fix)There's no one "magic" way ---- just whatever you find helps you succeed! Good luck!
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    sometimes I plan for the day and the next....helps keep me on track
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is the same thing, so that's pre-planned. I talk with hubby before he goes to work about what we'll eat for supper.
  • Sprmc47
    Sprmc47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Definitely have to plan ahead or I will probably fail miserably. I try and plan it out in my head, then really after making sure I have everything in the house I need, I just plan it out a day in advance :-)
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I plan a Menu for 2 weeks, but only for Dinner. Breakfast is usually the same if I'm working, and I don't eat Breakfast generally on my days off. Lunches are left overs from the previous night's dinner or something simple like a sandwich. I don't always go exactly by the Menu. For instance, if I find I am in the mood for chicken, but we have planned beef, I'll make a chicken dinner that I have planned for another time in the week.
  • sweetkeys
    sweetkeys Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    yep - I plan - I put together a menu for the week and do my shopping based on that menu - it's better to have a plan than go crazy eating things you shouldn't when you're really hungry
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I take my lunch and most snacks to work, so those are always planned.

My evening meal is unplanned most of the time. Usually only if I have something in the fridge that needs to be eaten today to prevent spoilage do I know for sure what I'll have for dinner before I leave work in the evening.
  • firelle
    firelle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I try to plan the day ahead. But sometimes there are blanks or things go unexpected. No biggie. Sometimes I'll have it set up as a meal so I delete it to make room for the unexpected one and move my planned one to the NEXT day so I have no excuse. And oh when it is unplanned I still don't go nuts. =)

Like today I'm planned but tonight is a potluck thanksgiving dinner so I'm leaving it blank... I'm at 13/4/48 already for carbs/fat/protein, but I'm working out so it's no big to me. I'm happy I still planned everything else.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yes, I try to plan two days ahead - then I know what I need to get at the market and makes dinners/lunches easier too. I know what's in the fridge or what I will make for dinner when I am leaving work so that we don't go out to eat as much just because we're hungry. Cooking at home is healthier than eating out. I like to make enough at dinner so that we have leftovers for lunch the next day as well. Better on the wallet too!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I don't plan ahead but my options are so restricted -- fat, meat, vegetables and a little fruit -- I can't mess that up.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I thought about how I lost weight in the past and that included planning ahead what I'd eat for the day. Do you?

YES! And sometimes I enter my food in MFP a day ahead. It is a great tool for that and keeping within your calorie budget or figuring out what to pack for the day the next morning. You can delete and add and adjust amounts, it's so COOL! :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I typically plan a day or two in advance, because I need to make sure I have the ingredients for whatever I'm planning to make for supper. Leaving it until that afternoon is counter-productive - I maker poorer choices if I'm shopping when I'm hungry.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have just started planning out my meals for the whole week, literally, my breakfast, lunch and dinner, and any snacks i think I'll want, and writing a shopping list so I only buy what i need. So far, i've noticed it saves me money and i'm not throwing as much food away which has to be good. I do fill in my food diary in advance, but then i tweak it if i do change anyything. It seems to be working ok so far!!
    :happy: