new to strength training - help please

Options
Hi there,

I have been building up time on the elliptical and now I would like to incorporate some strength training into my week. (looking to get lean and strong) Just curious how many times a week for a beginner? I also really have no idea what I am doing, I have no knowledge in this what so ever. I would like to be able to do this from home. Do I need to purchase equipment? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• prettypinkscarf
    Options
    I'm doing blogilates (www.youtube.com/blogilates). It's free, you can do it at home, and it doesn't require equipment most of the time (sometimes weights, but those are cheap and readily available at a lot of stores). Bonus: I'm quickly noticing more toned muscles, so I know they're working!

I do a mix of workouts for my whole body:
    "Pippa Booty Workout"
    "Victoria Secret Model Abs Workout"
    "Bikini Blaster: Back and Shoulders"
    "Beginners Inner Thigh Workout"

These are the areas I want to target, so I do these. They kinda work everything since you also work your arms for the back and shoulders one, you legs for the booty one, etc.

I do these exercises on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays since I'm a beginner. I'm hoping to work up to doing them 5 days a week.

Don't be worried if you need to pause the videos a couple times. I'm new to working out so I pause them a LOT, but I always make sure that I finish the workout, no matter how many 3-5 second breaks it takes.

Good luck!
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    For basic resistance training at home, purchasing some equipment would be best. A couple of adjustable dumbells and an assortment of resistance bands with a door hook will go a long way. NerdFitness, Bodybuilding.com, and SimplyShredded have some programs you can use. I'd suggest training for strength 3 times a week on non-consecutive days (M, W, F) with a program that has some kind of progression built in. Either adding weight, adding reps, or adding time to each set.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    In addition to my cardio...

I do the leg curl and leg extension at the gym :) about 6 days a week (the same days I do cardio)

But if you don't have a gym membership, youtube is good - Blogilates and Fitnessblender are good ones

I've also started the 30 day shred - its 3 levels of cardio/strength - you do each level for 10 days each.
    Its free on youtube and you can do it at home :) I'm hoping to get leaner and more toned with it, thats what its supposed to do :)

Also - basic squats and lunges are good strength training exercises (which are in many videos)
    And - resistance on the elliptical would help with toning ect ...
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    thank you all :) great tips!
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting For Women! I'm half way through stage one and have already noticed a SIGNIFICANT change - tonight I was doing barbell squats that were over 50kgs :) I've lost a lot of inches, too. My sister is now at stage 6 and looks amazing.
    I'd suggest training for strength 3 times a week on non-consecutive days (M, W, F) with a program that has some kind of progression built in.

You definitely want to do this. As far as equipment goes, some dumbells / a barbell and a swiss ball would probably be all you'd need. Having said that, I definitely recommend joining a gym - if you want to get really strong you're going to need to keep increasing what you lift so eventually, the amount of equipment you'd need would cost a bucket and take up a few rooms :) Good luck!
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Plyometrics are great for at home. & u mostly use your body weight.

I use a deck of cards & a list of plyometrics to keep it changed up. Heres my current list & how i go thru it.

FWD STEP UPS (USING A CHAIR OR STOOL)
    SIDE STEPS (USING SAME AS ABOVE)
    PUSH UPS (REG)
    BICYCLES
    AB PUSH UPS (PUT FEET ON 2 RAGS / PULL LEGS IN & TORSO UP)
    JUMPING SQUAT
    PISTOL SQUATS
    JUMPING JACKS
    SCISSORS
    MTN CLIMBERS
    FLOOR TO BENCH (SIMILAR TO STEP UPS)
    ALT'ING ARM PUSH UPS
    CRUNCH
    DIVE BOMBS
    SUMO SQUAT + LEG RAISE
    BURPEES
    HIGH KNEES
    BUTT KICKS
    V UPS
    HEELS TO HEAVEN...

THE LIST CAN GO ON & ON.

GET A DECK OF CARDS + THIS LIST, FLIP OUT 2 OR 3 CARDS (DEPENDING UPON SKILL LEVEL) AND THAT = YOUR REPS. THAT WAY YOU'RE NEVER DOING THE SAME REPS. (I FLIP OUT LESS CARDS FOR THE ONES THAT I'M NEW TO & MORE FOR THE MORE FAMILIAR ONES)... ALSO YOU CAN FIND SEVERAL ADDITIONAL PLYOS IF YOU BROWSE UTUBE.