Fruit?

Options
Do you count the calories in fruit and add it to your tracker? I'm new to this today

Thanks

Replies

• runnninginmd
    Options
    Yes, it can have quite a bit of calories. I log everything, meats, fruits, veggies, drinks, condiments, etc.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Log it, it's got calories, vitamins and so on. I log everything including water. I was amazed at what I would consume in a day without thinking about it.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Especially since you're new, you should track everything you eat and drink. At a certain point, when your awareness of calories grows a little broader, you can choose what to track or not.

I, for instance, don't often track certain vegetables I have with dinner as they're negligible in terms of calories and macronutrients, and I'm not focused on fiber and micronutrients/vitamins.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Log everything, even sauces and condiments. (I sometimes forget those but you'll be surprised at how many have calories.)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Definitely log fruit. Since you are new, log everything until you know what you could really skip. The only things I don't log are zero-calorie beverages and some spices.

But you should always log fruit, vegetables, and condiments like mayo and ketchup. Those are foods that sometimes have way more calories than you think.
  • Stace2306
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone I'll make sure to track them was a lil confused because I was doing weight watchers before and fruit was nothing
  • MadameMoustache
    MadameMoustache Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you really wish to track your calories intake, you add everything you eat.
    There's even a recipe tab, so you can enter your homemade recipes and be able to have the calories content of one serving.
    I add everything to the tracker, pre-packaged food, fresh fruits and vegetables and homemade recipes.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You might be surprised. A banana is 100 calories! There are cookies with as many calories.
  • Stace2306
    Options
    I know its shocking!!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Depending on the size of an apple it can have 150 calories. That floored me when I entered it. I log everything including condiments.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone I'll make sure to track them was a lil confused because I was doing weight watchers before and fruit was nothing

Yeah, and with good reason. Fruit is relatively filling for the number of calories it has. And if you're fairly overweight, you can usually lose weight just by changing the way you eat. So getting into the habit of eating a lot of fruit is probably helpful for long term weight control (and associated with longer life).

However, fruit still has calories (especially bananas). So start logging it, but realize that if you're concerned about long term health then you shouldn't worry about eating lots of fruit b/c of calories. Reduce other sources of carbs (like white bread) to meet your calorie and macronutrient goals.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I know the latest WW does not track fruits or veggies. I found that when WW made that changes I stopped loosing weight :(

The intent here is keep your calorie intake at a level that let your body loose weight. So I track ALL the calories. Some fruits do have lots of calories.