Is the 8 cups of water that MFP recommend you drink...

Options
... Equal up to 2 Litres of water ?? If not How many litres do you think ??

Replies

• leska1216
    Options
    8 x 250 ml does equal 2 litres.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    the 8 x 8 "rule" is more myth than fact, but let's pretend it's correct...

8 x 8oz = 64oz
    33.8oz = 1 liter
    therefore 8 x 8oz = 1.89 liters
  • Beth24793
    Beth24793 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys, i was having a bit of a blonde moment and didnt quite get it but the pennys dropped haha :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ask Google. Google will process any conversions like that in the blink of an eye.

liters to gallons
    grams to ounces
    inches to centimeters

etc.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Half your weight in ounces is usually a good goal to aim for. If you weigh 180 pounds, try to get 90 oz of water in. I think that's easier than counting cups.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Half your weight in ounces is usually a good goal to aim for. If you weigh 180 pounds, try to get 90 oz of water in. I think that's easier than counting cups.

Totally science fiction.
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    not science fiction... That's what my nutritionist said too. However, I have to add to the 'half your weight in ounces' rule. For every 25 lbs that you are overweight, you add 8 oz of necessary water intake. And on the days you exercise, you add 16oz of water throughout the day for every lb lost between before exercise and after exercise. You have to weigh yourself a few times before and after to get an idea.

I know it seems like a lot, but water flushes out toxins from your body and if you tend to eat too much sodium it decreases the water retention. I know drinking more water to get rid of water retention seems counter intuitive, but it's true.

So to really answer your question...8 cups a day is a myth as it is different for every person.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I know it seems like a lot, but water flushes out toxins from your body and if you tend to eat too much sodium it decreases the water retention. I know drinking more water to get rid of water retention seems counter intuitive, but it's true.

Ask your, I assume registered, nutritionist to tell you what those toxins are and how they are being flushed out.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The UK National Health Service says:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx

the Department of Health recommends that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day.
    This works out to be about six 200ml or eight 150ml glasses.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I struggle with drinking enough liquids - I think I just hate having to get up and go to the loo all the time!! But my pee is often quite a dark colour (sorry for sharing!!) and my mum recently had kidney stones which can be caused by dehydration, so I'm making an effort to drink more water!
    To help me, I try and have a 2-litre bottle of water on my desk and make sure that I drink the whole bottle during the working day. I can't go without tea, but instead instead of the 6-8 cups I was drinking per day I try now to have only 2 or 3, interspersed with caffeine-free herbal or fruit teas, sugar-free fruit squash and of course my bottle of water. I'll then top up with more water and/or squash after exercising to replace the luids lost in sweat.
    All in all, there's no maximum amount of water you should drink (it's calorie free so knock yourself out!) but you need to drink enough so that your pee is a light colour :-)
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    1.21 gigawatts.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have a 1/2 litre glass waterbottle. (it's a little over 16 oz). I fill that 4 times a day. Voilà - 8 glasses, 2 litres.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    not science fiction... That's what my nutritionist said too. However, I have to add to the 'half your weight in ounces' rule. For every 25 lbs that you are overweight, you add 8 oz of necessary water intake. And on the days you exercise, you add 16oz of water throughout the day for every lb lost between before exercise and after exercise. You have to weigh yourself a few times before and after to get an idea.

So to really answer your question...8 cups a day is a myth as it is different for every person.
    Here we go again with these imaginary "toxins"...
    Do people just repeat things they hear without doing any research at all?
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I drink about one cup/day...average. Lol. I still lose weight, and I'm not thirsty. :)
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    "Imaginary" toxins or not, I am not going to argue. And yes, I do my research, thank you very much :) But whether people agree with that or not, drinking more water never hurts and it is the cheapest thing you can drink (unless you buy bottled water). In addition I have to side with , upping my water intake just made me feel better... If I stick to the 8 cups, I am thirsty all day.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    I will also point out then whenever you talk about these sorts of things, you are talking about averages. This means some people may feel better with more water and some may feel better with less. So it's really not a be all, end all sort of situation. Figure out what does best for you and your body. Period.
  • hoopingchild
    Options
    I have to agree there is no set amount one should be drinking, but keeping well hydrated is great on many fronts. What is right for me won't be right for someone else. I try to drink 3 pints of water a day and also 2 cups of tea. More if work out.