Questions for those for swim for exercise

Options
How many times a week do you swim? How long have you been swimming and how much weight have you lost if any? Thanks for your input!

Replies

• sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I swim between 4 and 6 days a week, for a minimum of 30 minutes and then once a week I try for 45. 45 is really hard for me but it is possible on some days. I've been swimming this way since June, but didn't lose any weight till I started logging my food on mfp in September. I do think mfp overestimates the calories burned on swimming so I try to leave a little cushion in my daily amount. I'm 61 and have dropped a pants size!
  • katedavies1986
    katedavies1986 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I swim at least 3 times a week for 30minutes at least - I have been doing this for 5 months and have lost 42lbs so far - this is along with a low carb diet and also lots of walking! I love swimming so would like to think that it helps!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I swim for minimum of an hour once every two weeks usually on a Saturday since I do heavy weight lifting & other cardio workouts on the other days. Whenever I'm at the pool, I do intervals of freestyle & backstroke (sorry those two are the only ones I know as of now) or fast freestyle then slower one.

I don't have an idea about the weight loss for it but it does help with conditioning your muscles.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I swim between 4 and 6 days a week, for a minimum of 30 minutes and then once a week I try for 45. 45 is really hard for me but it is possible on some days. I've been swimming this way since June, but didn't lose any weight till I started logging my food on mfp in September. I do think mfp overestimates the calories burned on swimming so I try to leave a little cushion in my daily amount. I'm 61 and have dropped a pants size!
    In my case, even if I do intervals I just log everything under freestyle light, moderate general just to be safe.
  • PollyWolly98
    Options
    I am not currently swimming, because I don't have access to a pool. However, a few years ago I used swimming as my main excercise. I was meeting a friend 4-5 mornings a week and we swam ~45 min each time. I started out alternating between freestyle and breast stroke in the beginning, but as I became stronger I did more freestyle only swimming. I also had some swimming fins, a kickboard and paddles that I used at the end of my workout to really wear myself out. I lost 8 lbs in about 2 months, but that was basically all I needed to lose at the time. I really love swimming and I wish I could do it again! Good luck.