Apple cider?

Options
One of my favorite things about fall/winter is hot apple cider! When I was in college, my campus ministry group would have bonfire events with food and drinks and in the colder months they'd always have hot water available with some packets of hot chocolate and apple cider and I'd drink anywhere from 3-5 12oz cups of cider each time! (Of course I'll be cutting back on that now...)

I don't know the details of the brand they bought though...

But of course, since I'm trying to lose weight, I should find something healthier. I don't want to deprive myself of one of my favorite cold weather treats, so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a low calorie apple cider mix that I can buy at the store, or even an EASY recipe for one I can prepare myself?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would say to just keep it to no more than one cup in a day. It's only about 100 calories in a cup, on average. And it does have some vitamins and minerals, though not as much as in a raw apple.
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    Well of course I'm not going to drink as much as I did in college... LOL!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You could always just use half a packet in your cup or only have 1 cup of it instead of 3 or 4. Drink slower ;)

Or just go with what Wendy said, it's not 'that' bad for you - assuming you don't guzzle it cup after cup. I normally dilute all my juices when I have some but I have been doing that for a long time as I found most juice very sweet. We also juice that we give our son for the same reason.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    They have low cal apple cider packets(dry) that have aspartame (I think) in them. The brand is Alpine spiced apple cider. They are pretty good, but I prefer the taste of the regular ones with sugar. The regular ones have 80 calories. Can usually buy them at any grocery store.
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/apple-cider.php

I found this recipe. Looks easy. If you don't already have a crockpot, I would look into getting one. It's a great tool for new cooks! Makes things really easy. Just dump in the ingredients and the crockpot does all the work.

Something I do that's even easy and may satisfy the craving for apple cider: slice up an apple, sprinkle with cinnamon and a little ground ginger and heat in the microwave for five minutes. Lower cal, faster and less messy than hot apple cider. Very delicious.
  • Klopford
    Options
    They have low cal apple cider packets(dry) that have aspartame (I think) in them. The brand is Alpine spiced apple cider. They are pretty good, but I prefer the taste of the regular ones with sugar. The regular ones have 80 calories. Can usually buy them at any grocery store.

80? That's not bad at all. And I probably wouldn't mind the low cal one either.

I found this recipe. Looks easy. If you don't already have a crockpot, I would look into getting one. It's a great tool for new cooks! Makes things really easy. Just dump in the ingredients and the crockpot does all the work.

I'll look into that. We have a crockpot but my dad also has this beverage heater thing he uses when he makes his own cider or mulled wine for parties. Would that work?
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on any foods that we like whether it's apple cider, soda, cookies etc is to just adjust the amount you're eating. I don't believe in banning foods from my diet. When you tell yourself you can't have something you feel deprived and will binge on something else probably worse(at least for me). Life is about living and being happy. Why would I ban something from my diet if brings me joy? Enjoy, just in moderation. Instead of an everyday thing, make it a once a week thing.
  • Klopford
    Options
    My thoughts on any foods that we like whether it's apple cider, soda, cookies etc is to just adjust the amount you're eating. I don't believe in banning foods from my diet. When you tell yourself you can't have something you feel deprived and will binge on something else probably worse(at least for me). Life is about living and being happy. Why would I ban something from my diet if brings me joy? Enjoy, just in moderation. Instead of an everyday thing, make it a once a week thing.

I agree :) I used to only really drink it on special occasions like parties, though I did buy myself some packets last winter and had a mug every night for a couple weeks. And now I'm really craving some... LOL!
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I'll look into that. We have a crockpot but my dad also has this beverage heater thing he uses when he makes his own cider or mulled wine for parties. Would that work?

I'm sure the beverage heater would work too. It looks like the purpose of the crockpot is just to warm the apple juice mixed with the spices, so a beverage heater would probably do the same thing.

As far as the calories and over all healthiness go, the key is the juice you buy. Read labels. If it has ingredients a first grader couldn't pronounce, don't buy it. Look for organic, no sugar added, etc. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to make it!
  • dangitsjill
    dangitsjill Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Everything is fine in moderation :)
    I'm an apple cider junkie too, so I know the feeling of wanting to down it by the gallon. I usually have mine as an end of the day treat and just drink a smaller portion. It won't kill you and you need to have things you enjoy/make you happy.

That being said, the warmed up apple with cinnamon is AMAZING as well. For those days you don't have the calories to spare.