Zumba???

Options
Thinking of ordering Zumba... watched some videos of it on youtube and it looks like a fun way to burn calories! Anyone have any experiences with it? Is it as intense as Turbo Fire? I have been mixing up the Turbo Fire HIIT with Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. Do I need to wait longer to build up the stamina to do Zumba or is it ok for beginners?

Any comments are appreciated! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• bluestocking01
    Options
    I think that the classes are more fun than the DVDs. I can't compare videos but Zumba classes and DVDS are intense but fun. I was a complete beginner, no prior dance experience, when I started Zumba and found that it was pretty easy to pick up. (Class & DVD). I was exhausted and had to take a few breaks in the beginning but it was definitely doable. Zumba is probably my favortie form of exercise now. :smile:
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I started doing Zumba last April and it changed the game for me as far as working out. If you are just wanting to get a feel for it, get familiar with steps, I would start with DVD's. I would definitely recommend classes though--what fun! It makes working out really enjoyable. Best of luck!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would rather do it in a class. The atmosphere is fun! You can always stand in the back if you are worried about people seeing you. I do Zumba in class 3 days a week
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I did and still do Zumba once in a while. LOVE it! A very fun workout. If you can do Turbo Fire, you can handle Zumba! I loved that I would leave class a sweaty mess :)

I started on the DVD's and they were great, but I think that a class is more motivating.
  • xoxaidaxox
    Options
    I have the zumba wii games loved them so i got the dvds...not as fun,in my opinion. Id say get the games or go to the class
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba...I do it on the Wii and in a class. The nice part is you can make it as intense as you want it! Want more of a burn...and to work that core a little more.....move those hips more! Some songs I go all out in and others and slow down a bit but I can make the whole hour class and not die! It gives me a ton of energy and gets me laughing and having fun! I also have done it with youtube......so much fun! I have to admit the class is best....we all have so much fun and get to laughing and moving! Best of luck! Blessings!! <><
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Thing thing about Zumba is that it can be as intense as you want it to be. You can back off from whatever the DVD/instructor is telling you to do and do an easier version, or you can add your own moves in to go with the instructor's moves. I definitely think it's more fun in a class though.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Never tried the games or videos, I've always just gone to classes, but Zumba rocks. And anyone can do it, that's the beauty of it. I have friends who do the Wii zumba and they like it, although they enjoy the classes more. You can make it as hard or as easy as you want and tailor it to your fitness level.

Do it! You won't regret it! It's my favorite way to exercise, I get to "dance it out". :bigsmile:
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I wish I could go to classes but that is just not an option where I live :sad: I have been throwing around the idea of getting a wii and doing it on there so I think that will be my Christmas present from my husband this year, lol!
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have never tried turbofire, but heard about it, if you can do that you cand handle zumba. I agree with the others the classes are way more fun, and you can always go in the back so people cant see you until you get comfortable with the steps. I do it about 4 times a week. Enjoy it is the best non-workout, meaning it doesnt feel like your actually working out, but i always come out drenched in sweat, love it. my profile pic is mainly the results of zumba, thats all i have been doing for a long time i am actually swiching up and incorporating different types of classes now, but i will always make time for zumba!!!
  • robinfinnell
    robinfinnell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Belly dancing is a LOT more fun than Zumba, burns just as many calories as well as making significant gains in strength and grace. And don't forget all the fun, sparkly costumes, opportunities to watch live belly dancing at a restaurant with friends, and performance opportunities! <3
  • madhouse4
    madhouse4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba twice a week and then Turbo tone once a week. I love Zumba, high energy and great fun. Like others have said you can do it slower and more controlled or fast, everyone is different. our instructor always gives alternatives. The Zumba on the wii is quite good, some are quite fast though to start with, once you do it a few times you will get the hang of it.. Must admit though prefer a class. Goodluck.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've never done turbofire so I can't compare but Zumba is a ton of fun and anyone can do it! I do classes 3 times a week, my instructor has a low-option and a high option. We have young people and old ladies in the class...and a few guys too!
  • healthybland
    Options
    Get some grat friend... Have great fun and see great results!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Make sure you buy the toning sticks, can't get toned without them. I recommend the 1lb versions, the 2.5lb ones will make you too bulky.
  • tinanana7
    tinanana7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I know most people have already answered your question and I concur with them all, Zumba is so much fun! I do a variety of workouts including Zumba, RIPPED, spinning and just started the turbo fire dvds. I would say if you are comparing the two and going all out on both the turbo fire (especially the HIIT workouts) and Zumba, turbo fire is more intense. I wear a HRM and burn about 10 cal/min on turbo fire and 7-8 cal/min with Zumba. The more you do zumba and the better you get, you can start to do the dance moves with more intensity.

That being said, I love Zumba and can do it for 2 hours sometimes (somedays there is a Zumba toning and Zumba regular class back to back) and the time flies by. Im pretty sure I wouldnt want to do two hours of Turbo fire though. The live classes are definitely best, but the videos aren't bad (i use them when i cant make it to class) and it sounds like the wii gives you more options as well. Try it, you will love it! Been doing Zumba for about 4 years now (up to 4x a week) and am still not tired of it. Lost 25 pounds of post baby weight (and still losing) with it as well. Have fun!
  • daryabella
    Options
    I've tried Zumba classes and they really kicked my -ss and I'm a dancer!! I'd definitely try it out if you're curious. I'd recommend going to a class, it's super fun.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Make sure you buy the toning sticks, can't get toned without them. I recommend the 1lb versions, the 2.5lb ones will make you too bulky.

Whatever...2.5 lb weights are NOT going to make anyone bulky..smdh....AND you can get toned using your own body weight (pushups, chair dips, there are lots of exercises that will tone you w/o weights)

And to the OP, I love Zumba and I agree w/the others, you won't feel like you are working out at all if it's a good DVD or instructor. It'll be loads of fun! :)
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I would say that Zumba is for anyone who is serious about losing weight. Just start small and work your way until you can do the whole DVD. I think Zumba is a lot of fun. It use to be tough for me when I first began it, but now I considered it to be a light workout. My tape is only 30 minutes long though. Hope that helps.
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Wow! So it sounds like I have been missing out on some fun! Is the kinect Zumba the same as the wii? or is it better, more intense, etc... Thanks everyone for the responses!