Does Work count towards excerise?

I work 2.5hours an evening as a cleaner in a factory, can i put that down as execrise as I'm on my feet walkind around the whole time? I walk to adnd from work which adds another 30minutes of walking to my exercise a day and I try and go fast enough to break a sweat.
Any idea's on the work aspect?

Replies

• BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    I'd say yes. I'm on my feel all day at work. Most of the day I'm carrying 20kg buckets. So yes, that counts.
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    i dont think it does. im in the army and i dont count standing a excersize but if it motivates you to do more than go for it. but if ure using the work time to be lazy then dont put it
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Just set your budget according the right TDEE and you don't need to worry about it. Your body becomes very good at being efficient with work it does all the time and if it didn't help you lose weight before then why would it now?
  • Raivyn
    Raivyn Posts: 6 Member
    Since you do it on a regular basis, it should be documented under your lifestyle section where you can chose seditary, mod-active, and so on. Exercise (cardio) would be getting your heart rate up and keeping it up for a period of time. Say you parked further from work than you usually would and then speed walked, that would count towards exercise. Any thing you do above and beyond you can document. You could make work part of your exercise by using things like tucking your butt, tightening your tummy, doing squats and so on. Then you are working and exercising and you can record how many sets & reps you did under strength training :)
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    It depends. If you do it every day, and your body is used to it, I'd add it to your activity level. If you do it now and then, or the effort level varies on different days, you could add it as exercise. If you eat those calories back and are not losing, you may have to reevaluate.

Good luck!
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    What I kind of do is anything that is normal and routine things I do day in day out I dont count - anything that is out of the ordinary gets counted - example - if I in a normal day walk 4000 steps - those dont count - on a night when I have my class I walk 8000 steps then I count only the extra 4000 as exercise.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    It depends on how you are logging calories and what you are trying to count it for.

If you tell MFP that you are sedentary and want to claim the extra calories from the activity, go ahead.

If you are claiming an active lifestyle, then it's already included (though only as a rough estimate)
  • KerrySayers27
    KerrySayers27 Posts: 36 Member
    I would add it to your lifestyle when setting your options. If it is something you do as part of your everyday routine I wouldn't count it as extra exercise. xxx
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    If you are burning calories then it's exercise. I use a FitBit. Tracks all my calories burned during the day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    It depends on how you are logging calories and what you are trying to count it for.

If you tell MFP that you are sedentary and want to claim the extra calories from the activity, go ahead.

If you are claiming an active lifestyle, then it's already included (though only as a rough estimate)

this.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    I would add it to your lifestyle when setting your options. If it is something you do as part of your everyday routine I wouldn't count it as extra exercise. xxx

^This^
  • Thanks all. Think I'll reevaluate my lifestyle section to a more active but wont push it. Will try adding in little exercises as i work but dont think I'll log them just to see how it goes.
    Thanks again for the help guys.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    No. If it didnt keep you from gaining weight, it wont help lose it. These calories are already counted when it asked you if your lifestyle is active, sedentary, lightly active, etc. You cant count it twice.
  • mackiscute2002
    mackiscute2002 Posts: 8 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »

this.

Would this also apply to excessive housework not normally done? I have sedetary lifestyle set up too and ive been doing spring cleaning. Moving furniture, ripped up a plywood floor, catching up on tons of laundry i couldnt do( i mean up to 6 loads in one day up 2 flights of steps), rearranging rooms and tons of picking up i was to busy to do over the last montn. I am very out of shape and het very hot doing it, some times sweating, and very worn out.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Did you set your MFP to sedentary? If so I would add it.

My sons school is .5 miles away and I walk there ever morning to drop him off and every afternoon to pick him up. I never count that 2 miles because it's just part of my daily routine.