Advise me! Xbox Kinect....

Options
Does anyone out there in MFP land use the Xbox Kinect Fitness games for your workouts? I'm thinking of getting one, hopefully on sale this weekend, but I'd like some info from users. Pros/cons, recommends? I have a Wii, but using the step board and the controls is cumbersome...is the Kinect better?

Thanks in advance!
:smile:

Replies

• MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    bump
  • puggirlmn
    Options
    I just traded in my Wii for an Xbox with Kinect about three weeks ago and I am sooooooo glad I did. It is so much easier to workout without having to hold/manage a control. My favorite workouts on the Xbox include Zumba Rush & Hip Hop Dance Experience. I have a very short attention span when it comes to exercising (ie: I get bored quickly)...and I really don't see that happening with the Xbox. It is so fun, has lots of workout games available, and provides such a fantastic burn. My favorite part about the Kinect is that it enables incredible feedback on the way I move within each game. For me the Wii would either not respond or it would inaccurately respond to my movement. Since getting the Xbox, I have made some really nice progress in my weightloss and fitness goals too. If it helps, it is usually cheaper to get the 4gb model and then upgrade the memory with a hard drive. I saved over $80 doing it this way.
  • MelisMusing
    Options
    AWESOME- thanks for the feedback. I'm going to research all of my options and hopefully get one this weekend on the dreaded black friday :). Thanks again!
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i have tried your shape on it. i like to do the boot camp one and that certainly does make you sweat!
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Xbox is the best game system you can have!

Its like a computer and with the Kinect your in heaven!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    love my Xbox Kinect- especially Dance Central. I don't care how I look doing it, it's just FUN and a great workout! Provides an awesome change up from running on those days when I just don't want to lace up.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I really like it! I have the Your Shape Fitness and it is awesome. I also recommend the dance games. Those things are hard!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    we have the Wii, Xbox Kinect and PS3 move....

hands down the kinect and PS3 Move are much more responsive than the Wii....

you'll work harder for sure.
  • nucamprn
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. The Kinect workouts are on my list to research for xmas.
    CAMP
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    TARGET HAS IT FOR 149 SON ERMEGHERD
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Kinect is a pretty kick *kitten* program in iteslf. I love the workouts. Personally, I wouldn't buy it on black friday, you'll be too tired to use it by the time you get home. :)
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've had a Kinect since they came out - my favorite workouts are the Dance Central games (3 is very challenging and a LOT of fun), and Your Shape.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love my Kinect. So much easier to use than having to hold onto a remote on the Wii. I have both and prefer the Kinect. I use zumba and Just Dance 4 for my exercising. I also like the sports games that come with it.
  • IGotUrPistola
    Options
    It's great for workout.
    I play Just dance on it and it's fun and its a good workout
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    My wife uses Fitness Evolved and it looks like pretty good exercise. She uses Zumba a lot too, but the intensity level of the exercise never seems to get that high w/ Zumba.

EDIT: basically: zumba and dance central are fun ways to burn some extra calories, but if you want a real workout go for Fitness Evolved.
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I bought the Xbox 360 a couple years ago with kinect, with all the best intentions...I love it, much better than the PS3 move, but unfortunately haven't made much use of either of them. I am very terrible at doing workouts of any kind :(. But hands down of the games I bought and tried, Dance Central was the most fun! My son really took to it and learned some cool dance moves that actually get him quite a bit of attention at wedding receptions, etc., lol. (He's 11). I bought him Dance Central 2 for Christmas :) (i know it's not new anymore, but I'm thrifty and don't have to have stuff the second it comes out, lol)

(Note to self: pull out the kinect games and actually USE them. Stop being lazy!)
  • saydrin
    Options
    I've had the Kinect for quite some time and at first, I really liked using it. I tried a variety of games that would respond to it, such as exercise games and primarily dance games however, if you're anything like me, I'm extremely picky about the music I dance to. I like them fast and with a lot of movement. If the song even SOUNDS slow or has a low tempo, I won't play it. =/

In any case, I will have to tell you that even though you get the game, it only has a couple dozen songs on it and then there are dozens more for individual sale from the 'live store. It's about 240 microsoft points for each song--which translates to about $3 dollars for each song. It may not seem much now but it builds up.

In the long run, the Xbox and kinect are a great investment, especially if you intend to use it for more than exercising, such as netflix or other console gaming.

What I do suggest if you're low on budget is to acquire a PS2 console and get a few Dance Dance Revolution games with a dance pad. You may not find them in a GameStop anymore and might have to look on eBay or craigslist. When I started my diet and lifestyle change, I literally dropped more than 40 pounds in three months. I was heavily drilling myself with my workout but eventually life caught up with me and I slowed down just a little. I've since gained a little back but I'm doing the same routine to drop the weight off again to meet my goal.

Whatever you decide--I wish you luck!
  • MelisMusing
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input- I'm super excited to try this out!
  • MelisMusing
    Options
    Kinect is a pretty kick *kitten* program in iteslf. I love the workouts. Personally, I wouldn't buy it on black friday, you'll be too tired to use it by the time you get home. :)

LOL Truth!
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Used Zumba Rush a lot, and got Zumba Core just before I went on a work trip - just had chance to try it last night. Feeling my abs this morning...