Any ladies out there struggling with PCOS?

Options
I was diagnosed with PCOS last year and find it so hard to lose weight. Any ladies with this condition have tips to deal with it?

Replies

• crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've hadPCOS pretty much for forever -

- Low carb eating is essential - you don't have to drop it down to 30-50g, but you should change your goals to about 35% of carb intake... it's very important to reduce the amount of sugar that is going in your body - and eat Low Glycemic foods such as sweet potatoes instead of russet, whole wheat pasta instead of enriched flour, etc. (Read Dr.Atkins Book, even if you don't follow his diet, he has a lot of good solid information in the book)

- Exercise!!! One of the biggest things for me is to exercise. It reduces insulin in your body which will help with your PCOS - Cycling is the most effective way to reduce insulin in your body

Don't give up, it's a long tuff journey - your going to feel like you are failing as everyone else is passing you by, but your not, trust me there is more to change than just the number on the scale!

My insulin levels were 132 when I started this journey and my glucose was 117.. I am now at a 19 for insulin levels (under 24 is normal) and 91 for glucose (110 is normal) ... I've come a long way! I take Metformin still, however, it's only because my doctor says it will help with fertility! I don't get any of the symptoms that I use to get from taking it
  • twells112
    Options
    Yes! I was diagnosed when I was 17, When I was 21 I lost 30 pounds because I was super strict with it and I was exercising daily. But the older I get, the more I gain and the harder it is to lose. I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago for my annual and I told her next time she sees me, I won't have PCOS anymore because I WILL lose the weight! We can do it, it just takes more effort and time.
  • trimblt
    Options
    I too have struggled loosing weight with PCOS until the last two months. The only thing I've changed is reducing my wheat intake. I know everywhere you turn, everyone's telling you about healthy whole grains, but I read 'The Wheat Belly' book and it made me wonder. So, I've reduced - not eliminated - my wheat intake and have dropped 14 lbs with very little effort. I'm also not as hungry.

I'm not saying this is for everyone, but its what worked for me. Previously, I had hired a personal trainer and would work out - hard - 5+ times a week. I ate really healthy as well and the scales just wouldn't buged.

With reducing my wheat intake and either walking or working on my eliptical 3 times a week, I've managed to drop the weight. I still have a way to go, but this is whats working for me. At least right now.

Check out 'The Wheat Belly' book and maybe it will be something that works for you. (in a nut shell, it talks about how wheat has been so genetically modified that it has actually become a toxin to our bodys)
  • carrief10
    carrief10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm just stuck in the mindset that I'll just never get there. I've been battling depression too and it just feels like it's impossible.

I struggle too because I'm not a big meat fan. I eat chicken and ground beef but that's pretty much it. I eat wayyyy too many carbs so I will work on cutting that down.
  • carrief10
    Options
    Trimbit: Thanks for the suggestion!! I will definitely check out that book!!! I actually remember hearing something about that before. I think my mom read something about it saying that with how modified it has become that is why there are soooo many cases of wheat intolerance these days.

So frustrating that all the companies just keep putting all this crap in our faces!
  • myway16
    myway16 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm just stuck in the mindset that I'll just never get there. I've been battling depression too and it just feels like it's impossible.

I struggle too because I'm not a big meat fan. I eat chicken and ground beef but that's pretty much it. I eat wayyyy too many carbs so I will work on cutting that down.
    exactly facing the similar situation of overloading of carb......... do not know how to reduce it....... same situation of suffering from PCOS....... any of u guys on metformin?........ i would not like to take tht drug but would like to reduce my weight without it......
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What I've learned over the years is I have to eat BALANCED. I can eat complex carbs just fine as long as I don't eat them alone. A couple of docs explained that balancing the carbs with proteins and fats helps slow down the process of digesting, which in turn reduces your pancreas releasing large, sudden amounts of insulin (insulin spikes). This, in conjunction with taking Metformin ER, has kept my PCOS (and pre-diabetes tendencies) under control. At my last blood check (after losing 20 pounds) my A1C was completely normal.

PCOS is a pain, but it is completely manageable. I second the poster who said exercise is key. Exercise is really the only way I can lose weight. I swim, and it's awesome. :) Good Luck!
  • carrief10
    Options
    jmzz1: I tried Metformin and had a horrible reaction to it :S. I know it's not the same for everyone, just my experience.
  • trimblt
    Options
    Trimbit: Thanks for the suggestion!! I will definitely check out that book!!! I actually remember hearing something about that before. I think my mom read something about it saying that with how modified it has become that is why there are soooo many cases of wheat intolerance these days.

So frustrating that all the companies just keep putting all this crap in our faces!

I was a carb junkie myself and thought it would be impossible to reduce my wheat intake. But, I find the less I eat it, the less I crave it. Eating eggs for breakfast without toast took a little getting used too - but now its my norm. I do 'treat' myself with the odd bowl of cereal or toast - but ALWAYS rye toast. My lunches are full of veggies and I eat alot of nuts (raw nuts instead of roasted).

Don't give up!!! You can do this. Good luck.

(Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like) :wink:
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, so I know what you're going through! I've had PCOS for 10 years, and I've really struggled with my weight. I'll lose some, and then gain more than I was before I started trying to lose weight. For me it seems like EVERYTHING I eat makes me gain weight.

Recently, the weight has finally be coming off. Here is what I've done:

Switched from traditional meds (Metformin) to natural supplements (Cinnamon bark, Curcumin, Adrenal Support, Multivitamin, Fish Oil)

Try cutting out ALL carbs (bread and sugar) and dairy for a month, then slowly reintroduce them. I've been eating tons of fruits and veggies, green protein shakes, and I am allowed to eat brown rice and lentils. It's really difficult, but it's not forever.

Exercise (I'll be the first to admit that this is the hardest for me, but I at least try to walk my dog a mile a day at a minimum)

Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend. I could always use PCOS friends!
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    jmzz1: I tried Metformin and had a horrible reaction to it :S. I know it's not the same for everyone, just my experience.
    i do not want tht drug in my diet since i want to loose it the healthy way........ just want to ask a generall question as to how to combine fruits with fats or proteins........
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and yes, it seems to make this journey for us, tougher than for others. Instead of trying to focus on low carb, i try to focus on getting as much protein as possible. I think when you change the mind set, it just works better, for me at least. Plus you load up on so much protein, that you dont crave the bad carbs as much. GL and know that there are a few groups here for ladies like us, if you need assistance or advice. Also, feel free to add me :)
  • Sillykitty88
    Options
    I always used to lose weight so quickly in my teen years, and I never knew what the problem was with me and why I gained 50+ lbs in a year and could just not lose it. Granted, I did drastically increase my calorie intake so I am sure that didn't help :p It wasn't until I went to the doctor for my pesky jawline acne that was as painful as it was embarrassing that I knew I had PCOS.

Problem for me was I loved carbs too much. All my go-to staples were some form of bread or wheat, and all my comfort foods were carb filled. Cutting them proved to be a huge struggle, my advice and what seems to be working for me is focusing more on the protien filled foods that you do enjoy and less on the fact that you are not able to eat that bread roll with your chicken dinner. Make a list of your favorite foods that don't include carbs. Eat these as much as possible. Keep your diet complex and you will stay fuller longer. If you feel like you are still able to eat things you like it will be easier. But you have to cut the carbs to feel better and lose weight! I knew it was working when my jawline cleared. Your body is a machine it needs to proper fuel for it to function correctly.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have my PCOS symptoms now fully under control, I cut out all soda and only drink water, my diet consists of 40% carbs 35% protein 25% fat and keep my sugar intake as close to or less than 30g a day -I haev never had issues with my insulin,thank GOD and want to keep it that way. I exercise 5 x's a week for atelast 20-40 min.

The hardest place to lose weight has been my midsection but I am currently doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and I have seen MAJOR improvement,so I guess it can be done :) Just don't give up and don't feed into the BS that is is harder to lose weight with PCOS, if you are determined you can lose the weight doll! Best of luck!!
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 6 years ago. Yes, I also have had trouble losing weight, but it is possible!! Personally, I don't worry about carbs too much. I pay attention more to calories, protein, weight training and cardio. :) Good Luck to you! You can do this! You just need to find what works best for you.
  • erika613
    erika613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 18 months ago, but looking back I know that I've had it for years. It's a lot of work and there were tons of times that I was discouraged with my weight, my health, my infertility. It is hard and it feels like a lot to overcome, but as several people said it is manageable.

For me, taking met and eating a low glycemic diet worked at first -- I lost 14 lbs in 3 months by switching to complex carbs and fiber. No other diet changes -- just whole grain instead of white, sweet potato fries instead of regular, that sort of stuff. I also decided to take a "movement" class that I thought would be fun, but wasn't too much like "real" exercise (I took up bellydance). Without eating less and moving way more, there was only so much that could be gained (lost?) from those changes. And, they were right-sized sustainable changes I was able to handle at the time.

The last few months I've been on a very low calorie/high protein diet with medical supervision and using appetite suppressants every other day. The program was recommended by my RE and is run by an OB/GYN. I know that VLCD and AS are touchy subjects here, but they worked for me. They helped me to get enough weight off that I was even *able* to exercise. Now I do 30 mins 4 days a week on an elliptical and 1-2 hours of bellydance per week.

I'm still on met and my A1C is normal. And my estrogen and testosterone are also within range. My RE gave me the green light to start TTC and says I might not even need Clomid. :)

One thing that you can do if you are not a big meat eater is to increase your bean intake. Diabetic Living has this great easy (and inexpensive!) oven cassoulet recipe that I've made several times in a vegetarian version. I just leave out the chicken and use tofurkey sausage.

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/recipe/chicken/oven-sausage-cassoulet/

Sorry for the long post! I didn't have time to edit to make it shorter. :)
  • erika613
    erika613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you didn't already know there are several PCOS groups here on MFP. Some are more active than others, but they are all great places for ideas and support.
  • delaney056
    Options
    I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago, and I started gaining weight after I was diagnosed. However, it was completely unrelated to my PCOS and was due to eating habits. My doctor put me on Depo-Provera, but I recently changed to Ortho-Cyclen. I took Metformin for a short while, but it made me very sick, so I stopped.
    It wasn't extremely difficult for me to lose weight, but it definitely took longer. I started changing my lifestyle in January and have lost 37 pounds and feel so much better.
    It may be more difficult for us, but it is SO worth it! Virtually all of my symptoms are gone now.
    Don't worry so much about carbs. Focus more on protein, sugar, and exercise.
  • heatherjones5225
    Options
    I have had PCOS for about 13 years. I don't take any medications. I had a server reaction to meteforin. I have found that this app. helps keep me in control of what I eat and that makes a huge difference. In the last week I have seen a couple of lbs drop. I workout 5 times a week doing a combo of running/walking for a min of 30 min. a day, sometime longer if I have more energy. They say working out in the AM is better than working at in the PM. But it is so hard to get up 30 min earlier than you need to...lol! I have struggled with weight since I hit puberty. They didn't know what PCOS was when I was trying to conceive and it was a huge deal. But now there is more information out there and your doctor can help you understand more about the condition. I would recommed the Atkins diet as a great way to start to a much more healthy eating lifestyle. No matter how fast or slow the weight comes off, never give up. It will take time. But it will happen. Remember you are the goal! You go GIRL!!!!