counting calories when JUICING?

Options
I forgot to eat before the gym (IDIOTIC MOVE, seriously, had to cut cardio at 40 mins., as I started feeling dizzy.), so obviously when I came back I wanted to refuel and eat a horse.
So, along with my snack I decided to try a homemade juice.

How do I log those calories? I read somewhere to substract 10% if I skip the core and 13% if I skip the skin.
Is it accurate? Is there a different method maybe? I don't want to underestimate those calories.

I juiced two small carrots, a large apple, a small kiwi and three broccoli florets.
Along with my snack (half a banana, a slice of wholewheat bread w/ a smidge of orange jelly and two squares of chocolate), it toaled up to 404 calories!
Do you think it could be accurate?

Also-- it seems a little crazy to "waste" that many calories for an afternoon meal, even though it's fruit and vegs.
On the other hand, though, I know that at this point in my learning process, I would never be able to eat those broccoli florets as they are, so maybe it's a good way to add in veggies.
I'm not sure...what do you think of juicing in general?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    People who are juicing can eat more calories than normal without as much fat gain
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. Maybe weigh the items after you've de-cored them to log correctly?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I juiced two small carrots, a large apple, a small kiwi and three broccoli florets.
    Along with my snack (half a banana, a slice of wholewheat bread w/ a smidge of orange jelly and two squares of chocolate), it toaled up to 404 calories!
    Do you think it could be accurate?

Yes. Yes I do.

Plus, I thought this thread would be about something else entirely..........
  • runnninginmd
    Options

Plus, I thought this thread would be about something else entirely..........

Me too... I thought juicing was steroids. I don't get it, why not just eat the vegetables whole? I'm not knocking it, just really trying to understand... seems like it'd be more satisfying that way.
  • bloomingolive
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. Maybe weigh the items after you've de-cored them to log correctly?

Yes, I weighed everything exactly as I put it in the juicer! :)

Thanks! I don't know if I'll juice frequently, but it helps to know I'm keeping the right track!
  • bloomingolive
    Options
    I don't get it, why not just eat the vegetables whole? I'm not knocking it, just really trying to understand... seems like it'd be more satisfying that way.

No, I understand the skepticism, really, but as I said, I'm slowly teaching myself to eat vegetables. And until I've conquered the whole rainbow, it seems a good way to add something I wouldn't be able to eat.
    I I loved broccoli and could eat it whole, I totally would! (hopefully, in fact, I will soon) :D

PS: I didn't know "juicing" could refer to steroids! Sorry :laugh:
  • melodyriddle17
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing about juicing. For breakfast a few times a week we make a green juice and I've wondered now that I am using mfp how I should log it.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I don't get it, why not just eat the vegetables whole? I'm not knocking it, just really trying to understand... seems like it'd be more satisfying that way.

No, I understand the skepticism, really, but as I said, I'm slowly teaching myself to eat vegetables. And until I've conquered the whole rainbow, it seems a good way to add something I wouldn't be able to eat.
    I I loved broccoli and could eat it whole, I totally would! (hopefully, in fact, I will soon) :D

PS: I didn't know "juicing" could refer to steroids! Sorry :laugh:
    Broccoli is a vile and wretched weed and should be loved by no one. :bigsmile: