Strength Training ?s. Up Calories?

Options
Right now I am doing the 1200 daily calorie intake, and just some cardio but after reading through some post I would really like to add strength training to my workouts.
Right I am 5'2 185 pounds, I want to be around 130-135 and toned. Should I wait to drop some of the weight then start strength or should I start doing strength training now? Will that help me drop the fat? (I say fat cause I know I will lose weight but not as much cause I will be adding muscle) If I do start strength, should I up my calorie intake some?
Any other tips for strength training?
Thanks!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    -Start strength training now, you'll look better as you lose
    -Generally speaking, if you replace cardio with lifting you'll burn fewer calories, but it's probably a good idea to eat more than 1200 calories regardless

-Look into a proven beginner program such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. New Rules of Lifting for Women is another option, but I'm personally not a fan of that one.
  • britfit4life
    britfit4life Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Where do I find these programs, just google them?
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Read this for calorie intake info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I have not done Starting Strength or 5x5, but I'm two weeks in NROLFW and love it so far. I hear great things about all three programs. Eat more, strength train in some way. Just choose a program and stick with it. Dan addresses fat burning in IPOARM, linked above. Best of success to you!!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Great job on getting started!
    I don't know your level of fitness, but I would definately recommend strength training. Even if you have to start small, say 5lbs, it will be worth it.
    You will lose inches as a pound of fat and a pound of muscle (both a POUND) are different in density... think a pound of muscle is 1/3 the size of a pound of fat.
    Once you do acquire more muscle, it will burn more calories then your fat aswell... double bonus.

Last but not least... 1200 cals is pretty low. Check out info on BMR and TDEE.

Keep it up!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    its best to strength train build a foundation you require strength to build muscle because you need to overload the Muscle with TU time under tension. if you can lift heavy with good form it is best
  • britfit4life
    britfit4life Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
    I kinda feel like 1200 is low too, that is what MFP recommended and I have been doing that for a week but omg I am sooo tired I don't even want to work out and I am always hungry!

What is NROLFW?
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Right now I am doing the 1200 daily calorie intake, and just some cardio but after reading through some post I would really like to add strength training to my workouts.
    Right I am 5'2 185 pounds, I want to be around 130-135 and toned. Should I wait to drop some of the weight then start strength or should I start doing strength training now? Will that help me drop the fat? (I say fat cause I know I will lose weight but not as much cause I will be adding muscle) If I do start strength, should I up my calorie intake some?
    Any other tips for strength training?
    Thanks!

I am 5' 1.5", but usually claim 5'2"...I started out at 228 and am currently a tiny bit under 197. I have been doing *some* strength for more than 9 months. I started with the easiest strength machines, then went to the cable machines ( you need to use more muscles for those) and am just starting to do a few barbell lifts.

this is me several years ago around 195-200lbs... I know I was no lower than 185lbs

8193374926_e25182cc2b_q.jpg
    0120100909 by
    crochetmom2010, on Flickr

and this was me last week at 197lbs--most likely heavier than the first picture. Funny thing is, the pants I wore in the first pic have been falling off me for more than 6 months!

8193379046_12510bafc2_q.jpg
    IMG00817-20121113-0848 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

start weight training NOW. The scale may not move very fast, but if you are anything like me, your body composition will change. I do not believe I EVER had biceps before...I discovered them a few months ago. I have almost no fat on my thighs--they are the same size they were 9 years ago when I was 25lbs lighter! By Christmas, I may actually have definition in them!

I would rather be 160lbs of muscle and wear a size 8 than be 135lbs of *something* and wear a size 10.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
    I kinda feel like 1200 is low too, that is what MFP recommended and I have been doing that for a week but omg I am sooo tired I don't even want to work out and I am always hungry!

What is NROLFW?

I'd have to hit somebody if I ate 1,200 a day. It's almost 4pm and I have that still left to eat! This girl does not go hungry! :laugh:

NROLFW is New Rules Of Lifting For Women. It is a book and lifting program for women. My library has NROLFW to borrow, so maybe you could check with yours - and you can get the spreadsheets online. I say that in case you didn't want to buy it, unsure if you wanted to do it. The other two suggested earlier are great too, from what I heard, but I don't know anything about them.
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You can check out my profile to see my pics if you would like. I started strength training first and lost inches, but not weight (plateaued) and now that I added cardio to my workout as well and upped my calories the weight and inches are both dropping at a steady pace and I feel healthier. Here is a website with a calculator that may help...
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/