Stevia - headaches

Options
I know technically this should not happen, but the reality is I have been suffering some pretty significant migraines over the last week...

a little background...
I have suffered migraines since about the age 12.

I was on birth control for about 12 years (NOT at age 12, after...), but have not been on it for years. No real change in the frequency or level of migraines.

I used to drink Tab then Diet Coke, pretty much since the age of 12. About 3 years ago, I gave up ALL artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose...). I am pretty diligent at reading all labels to avoid it. For the record, the frequency of migraines did diminish somewhat, although I am not sure it was directly related. I continued stayed away anyways.

A few weeks ago, I purchased a 6-pack of the Blue Sky cola, and drank it (over a week+ time period). I did not realize that Truvia was different than stevia. But I did not notice any issues then.

I have also purchased 2 six packs of Zevia soda (sometime since the end of August, when I started on MFP), and drank them as well (less than one per day also). I did not notice any issues.

Now, I have purchased a box if "In the Raw" stevia, and have been using it in my oatmeal (almost daily) since November 9.
I have had 4 fairly bad migraines since then (which IS unusual)...

The only real (external) change recently is the stevia.

So out of curiosity....
just wondering if anybody else has experienced any 'side effects' or issues using stevia...

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You've been on birth control since you were 12?

And is stevia that stuff you sprinkle on food that supposed to make you eat less?
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to stevia and have a similar reaction, although I also have trouble breathing if I ingest too much. It is in the ragweed family, so if you are allergic to ragweed, you will be allergic to stevia. I also stay away from products with chamomile in them for this same reason. I had a bad reaction when drinking the sodas that you mentioned...I had to go home from work and take a benadryl/sleep it off.

If something gives you a migraine, stop using it. Some days, I can eat something and be fine and the next, it will give me a headache or whatever.

It annoys me that it seems to be in everything now since it's "natural" and people rave about it. You will have to search labels...it is in a lot of things from supplements (Liquid B12 for example) to powders, foods, and drinks.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I know technically this should not happen, but the reality is I have been suffering some pretty significant migraines over the last week...

a little background...

I was on birth control for about 12 years (NOT at age 12, after...), but have not been on it for years. No real change in the frequency or level of migraines.

I used to drink Tab then Diet Coke, pretty much since the age of 12. About 3 years ago, I gave up ALL artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose...). I am pretty diligent at reading all labels to avoid it. For the record, the frequency of migraines did diminish somewhat, although I am not sure it was directly related. I continued stayed away anyways.

A few weeks ago, I purchased a 6-pack of the Blue Sky cola, and drank it (over a week+ time period). I did not realize that Truvia was different than stevia. But I did not notice any issues then.

I have also purchased 2 six packs of Zevia soda (sometime since the end of August, when I started on MFP), and drank them as well (less than one per day also). I did not notice any issues.

Now, I have purchased a box if "In the Raw" stevia, and have been using it in my oatmeal (almost daily) since November 9.

So out of curiosity....
    just wondering if anybody else has experienced any 'side effects' or issues using stevia...

I never had any headaches from stevia (or any other sweeteners for that matter), so I can't commiserate. However, maybe you have an allergy or sensitivity to it?

I'm sure that there are people who are allergic to stevia, just like there are people allergic to every other natural and unnatural product.
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options

And is stevia that stuff you sprinkle on food that supposed to make you eat less?

no! lol
    I tried to clarify that...
  • justmyalias
    Options

no
    stevia is a plant/leaf
    and a sweetener is extracted from it.
    So if not processed, blah blah blah
    it is supposed to be an all-natural sweetener.
  • justmyalias
    Options
    No known significant allergies - but who knows...
    but I may just stop using it altogether (vs. trial and error) - at least on my oatmeal. (I so shudder at the thought of giving up soda completely...)
    I was not very impressed with taste, and still other options to explore.
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I use stevia. I havent noticed any headaches from it. I would say drop it for awhile though, if you are sure there is nothing else that you have integrated into your diet or regimen that could be giving you any migraines. As a fellow migraine sufferer, just have to ask, are you drinking enough water? and are you on any other medication?

It could just be your body learning to process the stevia, which could account for any headaches, or it could be the frequency that you are using it?

Either way, switch it up and see what happens!

best wishes with your migraines, hopefully they leave soon :(
  • mandersatx
    Options
    I've noticed the difference between Blue Sky with Truvia & Zevia. The Blue Sky tastes weird. Zevia doesn't. Have you tried using liquid stevia instead of the powdered stevia? I avoid Truvia (has way too many additives!) and stick with the liquid when possible. I carry stevia in the raw packets in my purse (dextrose with powdered stevia only). I'd like to find a pure powdered form in packets for convenience's sake, if anyone's got a brand to try, I'm all ears!
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there - it could be the dextrose/maltodextrin (apparently corn-based in this case) that are added to Stevia in the Raw brand sweetener packets as bulking agents, that are giving you grief. The stuff is in just about everything that's processed to any degree, though. Clearly the "in the raw" is strictly for branding purposes here, and not at all descriptive of the final product... sigh.

(source: http://www.intherawprofessional.com/stevia101.php)

ETA: I use SweetLeaf Stevia Drops in my coffee... the English Toffee flavor is my favorite, but they also sell it unflavored and in about 10 other flavors. It's about $10-13 for a 2 oz. dropper bottle at the grocery store, but the bottle lasts forfreakingever. Ingredients on my bottle are: Purified water, organic stevia leaf extract, natural flavors, vanilla extract, natural aromatics. Take "natural flavors/natural aromatics" as you will, I guess, but I don't personally have any issues with side effects.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I've been using it longer than it has been considered a sweetener (they used to have to call it a supplement). I've never had issues myself. But (as with anything) if you have a bad reaction you should discontinue using it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Stevia in the Raw has Maltodextrin in it, it is not just stevia, it has additives to keep it from caking.

If you were able to drink Zevia with no issues, then you know it is not the Stevia. You overlooked (or didn't read the label) when you purchased the Stevia in the Raw.

a little background...

So out of curiosity....
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there - it could be the dextrose/maltodextrin (apparently corn-based in this case) that are added to Stevia in the Raw brand sweetener packets as bulking agents, that are giving you grief. The stuff is in just about everything that's processed to any degree, though. Clearly the "in the raw" is strictly for branding purposes here, and not at all descriptive of the final product... sigh.

(source: http://www.intherawprofessional.com/stevia101.php)

ETA: I use SweetLeaf Stevia Drops in my coffee... the English Toffee flavor is my favorite, but they also sell it unflavored and in about 10 other flavors. It's about $10-13 for a 2 oz. dropper bottle at the grocery store, but the bottle lasts forfreakingever. Ingredients on my bottle are: Purified water, organic stevia leaf extract, natural flavors, vanilla extract, natural aromatics. Take "natural flavors/natural aromatics" as you will, I guess, but I don't personally have any issues with side effects.

I agree. I stated something similar.
  • justmyalias
    Options
    I'm not a purist - and knew the dextrose was in there - but that wasn't a red flag for me. Maybe it should be?
    I know there are better options for stevia, but this was on the shelf at my regular grocery store, and the price was okay, so I bought into it.

I only use 2 packets in my oatmeal (so almost daily), but wonder if maybe it's a cumulative effect...

This is the info that they e-mailed to me:
    "Our Stevia In The Raw contains about 30 mg of stevia per packet. All other stevia products in the market, to the best of our knowledge, contain less. Also, the stevia we use has high sweetness potency, about 400 times sweeter than sugar. Because it is so sweet we use dextrose as a carrier to make it measurable for consumers. "

so 30 mg x 2 (it seems like mcg would be more appropriate??) daily
    I am not sure how much is in a can of Zevia, comparatively.

Anyways, I may look for another (liquid) stevia, and see how it works. Otherwise, I will return to my 2 tsp of sugar.
    If it makes the headaches go away, it's oh-so-worth-it!
    Tx for the feedback!
  • shakespearessister
    Options
    I've been using stevia for years and never had a problem, but that doesn't mean that it's not the cause of your migraine, although, as some of the previous posters noted, it could be some of the additives. Pure stevia is actually green (it's an herb). Perhaps stop using the processed stuff and get hold of some pure green stevia leaf if you're interested in a non-caloric sweetener--I, for one, always think it's a great idea to cut out sugar when you can. If you have no problems, well, there ya go.
  • justmyalias
    Options
    this is what I found,but not confirmed...
    One can of Zevia has 158 mg of stevia extract.

http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/the-zevia-and-stevia-controversy-is-the-all-natural-diet-sweetener-safe.html
  • justmyalias
    Options
    also to note...
    Crystal Light has three flavors sweetened with stevia -
    the label now says Truvia : /
    bummer
  • gjklap
    gjklap Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there - it could be the dextrose/maltodextrin (apparently corn-based in this case) that are added to Stevia in the Raw brand sweetener packets as bulking agents, that are giving you grief.

Dextrose is just the biologically common form of glucose. Everyone naturally has it in their bodies. If you had a sensitivity to it, you would be dead.
  • rosesews
    rosesews Posts: 1
    Options
    I too have have an allergy to stevia and yes it does cause me headaches as well. I normally do not suffer from headaches, but after having 12 blueberry flavored almonds, I started itching within the hour and also am suffering with a bad headache. I did not know the almonds had stevia extract in them, the outside of the package did not specify it as most do when they use sugar substitutes.
    My first encounter with stevia was over a year ago, where I put one drop of stevia sweetner in my coffee and broke out in full body hives within the hour. I have learned to stay away from all alternative sweetners. Aspartame, Nutrasweet, and Equal all cause very bad headaches to me.
  • khutslar
    khutslar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just picked up Stevia in the raw from the store a few days ago and after every time I use it I end up with a massive headache that won't go away for hours as well as nausea and dizziness. I thought that this was weird because I was using less than a teaspoon in the recipes I was making, but I just assumed it was because Stevia is in the ragweed family and I've severely allergic to ragweed.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I'm allergic to stevia and have a similar reaction, although I also have trouble breathing if I ingest too much. It is in the ragweed family, so if you are allergic to ragweed, you will be allergic to stevia. I also stay away from products with chamomile in them for this same reason. I had a bad reaction when drinking the sodas that you mentioned...I had to go home from work and take a benadryl/sleep it off.

I get headaches from Stevia. Any form. I have to read labels to avoid. And now I know why. I am allergic to chamomile and anything in the daisy/ragweed family. I didn't know Stevia was part of that...

But yes op, I also get migraines and headaches from it. Not immediately either. It depends on how much I ingest and has a cumulative effect for me. I typically can have one or two things with Stevia in them a month and any more than that and I will have issues. So now I just avoid it all together.