Potato for bedtime snack helps depression

Options
Ive been eating a potato in its skin at night now for over a week.....id say its helping....

Apparantly it helps to carry tryptophan in the blood stream to tbe brain which then helps to create Seratonin....the happy hormones!.....I read it in a book "Potatoes, not Prozac"....vey good book btw for those who would like a routine way to be fit,healthy and want to Come Alive thru good practise of eating.

Replies

• LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Ive been eating a potato in its skin at night now for over a week.....id say its helping....

Apparantly it helps to carry tryptophan in the blood stream to tbe brain which then helps to create Seratonin....the happy hormones!.....I read it in a book "Potatoes, not Prozac"....vey good book btw for those who would like a routine way to be fit,healthy and want to Come Alive thru good practise of eating.

Not sure if the time of day is a factor. Being a clinically diagnosed anxious person, I know that some food and vitamins/minerals helps (Though not strong enough for me).
  • _thenessa
    Options
    Actually, any western potato is considered high glycemic.

Whether the potato is baked in the oven, fried, or microwaved, its glycemic index is between 60 and 80.
    Any glycemic index number over 50 causes an insulin spike, which irregulates hormones and increases fat depositing.

You should really quit the potatoes, and stick to sweet potatoes/yams immediately.
    They're much more nutrient dense, anyway.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

Whether the potato is baked in the oven, fried, or microwaved, its glycemic index is between 60 and 80.
    Any glycemic index number over 50 causes an insulin spike, which irregulates hormones and increases fat depositing.

You should really quit the potatoes, and stick to sweet potatoes/yams immediately.

Calls BS, I have been eatting more potatoes in the last 11 months than i have in my life, I used to believe this Myth but a potato will fill you up and it is fairly low calorie and I have lost over 100 lbs eatting them at least 2-3 times a week.

Never heard about the link with depression though, you have anything to back that up?
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Mmmmmmm.....Yes I love potatoes!
  • _thenessa
    Options
    Sure, keeping a calorie deficit or remaining within your calories may still allow you to lose weight at first.

There are people on here who still have eaten McDonald's a few times a week while exercising and remaining within their calorie goal and have lost weight.

But does that mean McDonald's doesn't affect insulin levels?
    Absolutely NOT.

Potatoes may be fine at first, but they certainly aren't going to help when you reach a plateau and/or are trying to lose those last few pounds.

I'm in a nutrition program at college, and am earning my master's in the subject (not trying to toot my own horn, but rather validate my claim) and I've not only learned this information from professionals, but have also found the research to back it up. I was just trying to offer some advice - after all, why eat potatoes when you can eat a much healthier alternative that's also tasty (i.e. sweet potatoes.)

EBSCO Host has an overwhelming amount of supporting research if you can access this database, and glycemic is a quantitative measurable thing, so you can't exactly call bull**** on a number that's been tested and proven multiple times. Either way, I'm sure a simple Google search can also provide this information.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Sure, keeping a calorie deficit or remaining within your calories may still allow you to lose weight at first.

There are people on here who still have eaten McDonald's a few times a week while exercising and remaining within their calorie goal and have lost weight.

Absolutely NOT.

Potatoes may be fine at first, but they certainly aren't going to help when you reach a plateau and/or are trying to lose those last few pounds.

I'm in a nutrition program at college, and am earning my master's in the subject (not trying to toot my own horn, but rather validate my claim) and I've not only learned this information from professionals, but have also found the research to back it up. I was just trying to offer some advice - after all, why eat potatoes when you can eat a much healthier alternative that's also tasty (i.e. sweet potatoes.)

EBSCO Host has an overwhelming amount of supporting research if you can access this database, and glycemic is a quantitative measurable thing, so you can't exactly call bull**** on a number that's been tested and proven multiple times. Either way, I'm sure a simple Google search can also provide this information.

I've reach a plateau... so I should totally cut off potatoes? (sweet potatoes) :sad:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

Absolutely NOT.

As a former low carber I've been way down the eat low GI/GL "insulin spikes cause fat gain and this is the cause of common obesity" path and I'm sorry to report that even if you kept insulin response minimal all day every day then the body will find other ways of depositing fat in caloric excess.

Been there, done it. I really tried to believe the whole insulin-centric thing but it didn't work, practically.

I haven't learnt this from professionals though, just my experience. ;)

I like sweet potatoes, I like white potatoes, whatever fits into the daily energy goal is good.

On topic, I can see how eating something like potatoes would help both hormones and, therefore, mood. It is widely known that carbs close to bedtime will promote sleep too. Which has to help mood ...
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    *snip*
    On topic, I can see how eating something like potatoes would help both hormones and, therefore, mood. It is widely known that carbs close to bedtime will promote sleep too. Which has to help mood ...

Which is seriously how I justify eating reduced fat ice cream before bed, LOL!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Unless the potato is being eaten raw, the glycemic index doesn't matter. When you put something fatty on the potato (butter, sour cream, cheese), the glycemic index completely changes.

Also, glycemic index doesn't really matter for the average person.

And, potatoes have a lot of nutrients in them.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Absolutely NOT.

You need to spend a little more time in class. Your advice isn't correct.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

Absolutely NOT.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/38860.php

What would you say about this?
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Big bag of potato chips nightly, here I come!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Read the book Potatoes not prozzac. Ive never tried it, but I believe the program has people eating 1/2 baked potato with some fat before bed. I don't think potatoes or butter are bad. As long as they fit into your calories and macros, eat away.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Unless the potato is being eaten raw, the glycemic index doesn't matter. When you put something fatty on the potato (butter, sour cream, cheese), the glycemic index completely changes.
    The deliciouslyness index also completely changes. (It goes up).
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Calls BS, I have been eatting more potatoes in the last 11 months than i have in my life, I used to believe this Myth but a potato will fill you up and it is fairly low calorie and I have lost over 100 lbs eatting them at least 2-3 times a week.
    I call BS on your BS. For over a year I've passed on white potatos in favor of sweet potatos, higher fiber content and lower glycemic load. I've lost over 110 lbs.

That said. I do have a metabolic condition (T2 diabetes) that limits my carb intake. Those without any metabolic issues should chomp away at whatever potato they choose.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Not to be funny...depression is no joke, and I know this because I was diagnosed with clinical depression about 20 years ago...if it is helping you, that is awesome, but that sounds a little sketchy to me.

However, it is commonly known that eating chocolate releases endorphins ( also a 'happy' hormone) . This explains why I am here--I have a bad habit of self medicating my depression, and my drugs of choice are Godiva and Hershey's. Cardio Exercise also releases endorphins, and I believe seratonin also. That is why some athletes claim to get a 'runner's high'. I have a special needs son, and several months ago his psychiatrist 'prescribed' plenty of cardio to help me deal with the stress of dealing with a mentally ill child. Of course, I had already been doing that for 7 months! I went from hating cardio, to getting a little twitchy if I don't get some 3-4x a week!
  • StormChaser217
    StormChaser217 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes , and have depression problems .
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I was kinda depressed about my weight, but I fixed that (by eating less potatoes).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've read several sources that state that tryptophan increases serotonin. I'm not sure if the timing makes a difference though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've reach a plateau... so I should totally cut off potatoes? (sweet potatoes) :sad:

Sweet potatoes aren't really potatoes. Don't give them up.