Anyone stop snoring after losing weight?

Options
Ugh, it's 3:30am, I just moved to the couch bc my husband is snoring ridiculous style right now. Normally I kick him out, but my parents are visiting and I thought I'd be nice. Anyone stop snoring after losing weight? He's 280 and 6'3. Please tell me there's hope!

Replies

• chrissy_1987
    chrissy_1987 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    All I know is I never used to snore before I put on a lot of weight. So i'm hoping when it comes back off the snoring will vanish too because it aint nice :p
  • benbrandwood
    Options
    Yes - I've gone from about 220 to 175 and have stopped snoring! Happy days
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My husband is down 22 lbs and I swear his snoring is worse than ever, We can't even sleep next to each other at this point it is that bad. He sounds like he is trying to pull the ceiling down most nights. Worst part is sleeping apart isn't even working. I can hear him across the house. Maybe another 20 lbs and it will lessen.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnea. Losing weight lessened it a bit, but the only thing that worked to stop my snoring is the cpap machine.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say it will stop, but the fact that it will improve is one of the many health benefits.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    My husband SNORES brutal!!!!!!!, i am lucky to get 3 to 4 hours sleep a night!, the kids even taped him to show him and he still made excuses,, saying that we made the tape up! We have closed his nose, and his mouth,,, we have pushed him outa bed,,, sigh,,,,we need separate bedrooms so i can get some sleep and be a happier person,
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It hasn't stopped completely but it has significantly dropped down.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have heard it does ease up or go away altogether unless you have a medical condition like myself who has a crooked nasal cavity which prevents air to flow properly. I use a machine at night and have for years, I could get rid of it if I would have the surgery to fix it. But surgery worries me so I will live with the machine until I lose all the weight and see how that works. Good luck.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Depends on the reason for his snoring. If he didn't snore when he was thin, it will probably go away. But if there is a different reason, it probably won't and he'd need to see a doctor to diagnose and treat it.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I raise my hand here! I stopped snoring though i have never snored too loud
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I would wake myself up I was snoring so badly, hubby said it has stopped altogether now.
  • gduncan229
    Options
    I was 280, had sleep apnea and snored. Now at near 200 unless I'm having a bad allergy day everything has pretty much gone away
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've lost 63 pounds and was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea years ago. I'm going to the Sleep Clinic today after work to see if my C-PAP is necessary or if it can/should be adjusted. I am expecting the worst (continued C-PAP) and hoping for the best.

Anecdotally, my wife hasn't complained about me snoring when I take off the C-PAP (typically after a nighttime trip to the bathroom), so I have hope that I may not need it.
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have all but stopped snoring going from 230 is to 175. I still snore if i lie on my back but not the juggernaut circling the house sound I used to be.
  • aubsgg
    aubsgg Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My husband has gone from 300 to 280 lbs and his snoring is way quieter, some nights no snoring. There is hope for you. I'm very happy and getting much better sleep now.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Oh, I really hope losing weight will at least reduce my snoring, as I have been told by my daughter that it used to be very loud and now it is only loud. I think I snored when I was thin but at least it did not sound like a jet engine starting up. My mom is really petite 5'2" 110lbs and she snores so loud she could give Fred Flintstone a run for his money.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    The only time i snort is in the club
  • Br4ndi
    Br4ndi Posts: 177
    Options
    My husband lost 10 pounds and he stopped snoring!!
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    I was having a very bad time with snoring and sleep apnea at my heaviest. My doctor said it was because of the size of my neck. He wanted me to go for a sleep study, but I chose to wait and see what weight loss would help with.

My husband says now that I don't snore at all (of course unless I am congested with a cold or something).

It depends on why a person snores, if weight loss will solve the problem completely or not. It will definitely improve with weight loss and reduced neck size.
    If it is that bad, maybe you should have him talk to his doctor, and get a sleep study done. It is always best to know if you stop breathing in your sleep.

Good luck, and here's to future restful nights for you both.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I used to snore quite a bit. I snored so loud it scared the children and ran the cat out of the house on most nights. I've lost a significant amount of weight and now I rarely snore.