Pain with squats

Options
I was doing squats and all of a sudden felt a sharp pain in my outer thigh on my left leg. I'm sure I must have done something wrong to cause this but I'm not sure what. Any ideas?

Replies

• Sullerson
    Sullerson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Could have been cold muscles (not stretched enough). Could have been foot placement/leg stance (too wide, too narrow). Could have had body twisted a bit when you squatted, etc. Unfortunately there will be no definite answer to how it happened. The thing to do now is rest it and pay close attention to your form next time so you can see if any specific movement irritates it again.
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Could have been cold muscles (not stretched enough). Could have been foot placement/leg stance (too wide, too narrow). Could have had body twisted a bit when you squatted, etc. Unfortunately there will be no definite answer to how it happened. The thing to do now is rest it and pay close attention to your form next time so you can see if any specific movement irritates it again.

Yup, listen to your body and take it easy. Next time you step into the rack go really light and see how things feel. Take your time and make sure your form is right. I really like watching youtube videos for form help, it seems to fit my learning style. Go slow and really concentrate on good form and constant muscle tension and even those light reps will get the job done until you're ready to go heavy again.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    because of location i'm guessing the illiotibial (IT) band

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

EA: clarification
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Please take it easy.... listen to your body.

10 years ago at the age of 21, I ruptured two discs and ended up with severe atrophy and nerve damage. Ended up with a double discectomy and double laminectomy, and a recommendation to avoid high impact exercise for the rest of my life.

I had aggravated a old soccer injury I had no idea I had.... and poof. done.
  • Ashsmith07
    Ashsmith07 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys! I rested and started with a slow jog next workout to warm up my muscles a bit more before starting my next Jillian workout and made it through the whole workout with no pain whatsoever!