First time Black Friday shopper...

Options

Replies

• wolfehound22
    Options
    Its really not as bad as people say, if you go in with a positive attitude, and looking to just have a good time its fine. I think if you have one item in mind that you have to get, and can be tough, especially if ti sells out fast, but if you go just looking to cash in on some of the deals, you'll be fine, and actually enjoy it. Me and the wife do this every year, and I've never really had that big of a problem. Sure its crowded, but that is to be expected. SO we just enjoyed ourselves.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    This is my first time too. Basically, I'm along for the ride. My friend Jeneil is driving and I'll just go wherever she wants to go and if I find some good deals, cool. I would be super nervous if I was driving but I'm just planning on trying to stay calm and enjoy it. I have been delusional at times in my life too. LOL!!!!!

Haha, I'm thinking I may have my friend drive so I don't have to deal with it! I think a positive attitude is going to be key in this experience.!
  • LadyVeng3ance
    LadyVeng3ance Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I really wanna go to a black friday sale! D:

I just dont live in the states! :'(
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Stay home, shop online...

Unless you are into the sadistic type of crap!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wish everyone would stay home, and the damn stores would stop opening earlier and earlier and earlier every year. I feel bad for the employees. It's bad enough having a crappy retail job, worse having a crappy retail job during the holidays, and life sucking having a crappy retail job during the holidays that you can't even spend with your family because you have to work a third shift.
  • _Wits_
    Options
    i go every year at 10pm thanksgiving. its an adventure! its only gridlock in the parking lots since everyone goes to stand in lines super early. the best way to have fun with it though is to not want anything specific...just go and see what you find! its too stressful to try and fight others for something u want.

In my state it's illegal for the stores to be open Thanksgiving night.

I feel like this should be the case for all states......once upon a time all the stores were closed on major holidays so people could be home with their families.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Better you than me! I'll be home and in bed.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I have a feeling it's going to be very packed because I'm going into Salem, NH, which is right on the Massachusetts border... thus, everyone from Mass comes up because we don't have sales tax.

I live in Salem! :) That Target was insanely mobbed over the weekend, I can only imagine how it is on Black Friday! :noway: You are a braver soul than I. :wink: Btw, if you know the back roads, take them! 28 will most likely be a parking lot. It probably won't be that bad at 1 a.m., but I wouldn't take the chance lol.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    i suggest checking for the plethora of stores inside malls that open @ 11pm on thursday nite.

This is so wrong. I will not be buying any Christmas presents this year from any store that is open for Black Friday shopping starting on Thursday. Service industries suck enough without even getting the few holidays off anymore.
  • _Wits_
    Options
    I have a feeling it's going to be very packed because I'm going into Salem, NH, which is right on the Massachusetts border... thus, everyone from Mass comes up because we don't have sales tax.

YUP! I use to work at the Best Buy in Salem, NH and Black Friday there was a friggan nightmare.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Don't go.
    True story. I went last year on a whim. Waited in line outside in the cold. Few good prices but otherwise just blah. Now, if you have a plan or somethign specific you want and know its on a serious markdown, go. Otherwise, no.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    First time...and last time. LOL. At least for me. No deal is really that great.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I live in Salem! :) That Target was insanely mobbed over the weekend, I can only imagine how it is on Black Friday! :noway: You are a braver soul than I. :wink: Btw, if you know the back roads, take them! 28 will most likely be a parking lot. It probably won't be that bad at 1 a.m., but I wouldn't take the chance lol.

If we do go, we are definitely planning escape routes, I have a few back roads I know of, but they will take me out to the BJ's/Target area, which is still going to be insane. Almost thinking of going 495 to 213 to 93, but I know the mall exit will suck as well!

I wish I had a flying car, this way I could just park on the roof of stores, and just fly over all the traffic :laugh:
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I did not read the thread, just want to offer my advice.

Have a plan.

Know what you want to get at each store prior to going. If you MUST HAVE something at one store, make that your first stop. Get in and get out. Don't linger around and browse. That is not a day to do that. Plan what store you will go to and in what order. Have the mind set if it is too crowded in one store, move onto the next.

Eat before you go. If you are like me and can't eat as soon as you wake up, bring breakfast in a form of a granola bar. You will not want to stop anywhere because EVERYONE will be at the same time.

Just going with no plan in mind is really useless. Many stores will appear to have sales on some items but then jack up the prices on others. So know what the NORMAL price range is, and what you are willing to pay. Don't just think its a good deal because it's "Black Friday Deals".

Have fun. I've gone a few times, I'm in no means a shopper, but knowing what you want and getting in and getting out you CAN get away with some good deals.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Oh and also, from experience, Target is always the most organized. They really know how to make it work. Best Buy, not so much. Wal-Mart, not so much.
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Black Friday - because only in America do we stand in line and fight with others to buy stuff we don't need the day after we are thankful for the stuff we already have.

^^^^^^^ Drops mic and exits stage left...
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hello first time shopper.

I'm used to going every year. I get about half of what I want and I don't camp out that much.

If you live in a cold area, get some fleece lined jeans (also available on Black Friday at Modells)

Organize your shopping list by store and item. IF an item is not available at one store and you really want it, make sure to mark down the alternative place to get it and what the price difference is.

You could end up standing in the check out line alone for more than an hour. Go with a friend so that one of you can stand in line while the other one brings the goods to the line. also, never leave a shopping cart or basket unattended. someone will try to rifle through it. Especially if they're waiting in line.

If you have a larger "gathering party", then delegate items. If someone is camping for TV's, don't count on them. The line to pick out the limitted quantity TV's/laptops/etc is going to be slow.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    You couldnt pay me money to go shopping on black friday. I dont even like to leave my house that weekend. The only thing I buy thanksgiving weekend is my christmas tree and probably pizza... Whats funny is I normally go shopping on a monday the first week in Dec and I love it. No ones out, no fighting, yelling and still good deals
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love Black Friday and have been going for years. It's a tradition that the women in my family (Mom, sisters, Aunt, cousin) go out shopping and then have brunch somewhere. Keep in mind that you will get some great deals, but don't expect to go into a store and get $10 winter coats, $5 mens jeans, etc. For instance there is a sweater I am planing on buying at Kohls that is currently $18 and will be on sale for $10, but then there is another one I want that will only be $2 less. Also, go with friends or family! It's so much better than going alone! Someone can stand in line while the others shop or hold your place while you run to the bathroom. Wear comfortable shoes!!!!! I am generally not that tired as in wanting to go to sleep, but my feet are always killing me by the end of the day! Dressing in layers is really important because you will be freezing outside but it can get HOT inside some of the stores with so many people around. And the best advice I can give is to PLAN ahead. The majority of the ads are alreay out. Check the bfads and blackfriday websites. Make sure you get any coupons stores are offering. Grap them all just in case you go into a store and find something. Know where you want to go if there is somethin specific you want. And check the opening times and online shopping times. All stores are different and some are opening at midnight while others don't open until 6 am.
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    BTW some stores, like Kohls, will let you pay at the jewelry counter. We only waited about 5 mins to pay versus the line wrapped around the store! We almost always have jewelry to buy (not the stuff in the display cases, just the normal stuff) but one years we just grabbed a pair of clearance earrings that were only a dollar something and got to pay there! A little sneaky, but hey, we didn't have to wait in the hour long line.