still breastfeeding

Options
Hi there,

I have been doin this calorie counting now for almost a week and i excercise 2-3 times a week for an hour, just today i was feeling quite dizzy and i thought maybe cause i am still breastfeeding my 13 month old daughter that maybe i need to take in more calories than what is suggested on here.

So i jumped on the site and there was nothing on here about nursing mums and calorie counting. Is there anyone out there that have had the same problem and have found out if they do need to take in more calories.

-Shell

Replies

• melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hmm.... yes, you might need more calories. More importantly than that, though, is making sure you're eating the RIGHT kind of calories, from healthy foods... fruits & veggies, salads, protein, and non-white carbs. Ease off of the refined/processed sugar if you can. AND, make sure you're drinking enough water - at least 10 glasses a day for nursing mommas.

I have a problem with low blood pressure and I, too, am nursing. Some days are worse than others, but for the most part, you shouldn't need to bump up more than 300-500 calories for that. There is a sister site to this one - fitpregnancy.com, I think - that allows for nursing and makes adjustments accordingly.

You may also want to change your exercise - maybe do 5-6 days a week, but only half an hour at a time? Your body might be in a bit of shock. Give it time to adjust.

Good luck!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was breastfeeding my daughter that I was told I should drink a small glass of orange juice (4 to 8 oz depending on how much she was feeding) during/after each feeding to supplement the liquid and drop in blood sugar from breastfeeding. It helped me with my severe dizziness.

Rumor has it that breastfeeding, especially in the beginning, burns 300 calories a day in the production of milk. Maybe search "breastfeeding". But each mother is different on whether they count those calories or not. Make sure you are getting enough fluids.

Congratulations on your new addition.