Please help a baker!

Options
I just feel like no matter what I do, I can't stop eating sweets! I LOVE baking but i know i need to stop or at least control myself. Any helpful tips!?

Replies

• cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    I think you need to do what I did, which is to ween yourself off the sweets. I LOVE baking things and sweets. I used to make my own bread and bagels (and no, I don't own a bread machine). I started by having a treat with sugar-free angel food cake, sugar-free pudding and fresh berries. Slowly, I made the cake smaller until I was able to skip it and not miss it. Also, for the holidays, I have found some sugar-free low-carb recipes for deserts. I found an awesome pumpkin pie recipe recently, made it and loved it!
    A website recommended a liquid-based sucralose rather than the powdered because of after taste, so I am planning to order some from Amazon.com. In order to keep myself from eat too much at once, I cut the pie into servings and froze the extra pieces. I have two in the freezer to take with me to my aunt's house for thanksgiving. I'm going to spend a couple of days there, so I figure two pieces will be good.

There are also some easy, lower-cal alternatives for baking treats. For example, take an angle food cake mix and combine it with a can of pineapple or pie filling. Cook it per the normal directions on the box. Also, combine a can of pumpkin with a chocolate cake mix and make muffins. Oh, so yummy!

Just google low-carb deserts and you'll get quite a few. I am planning to make a sugar-free, low-carb cheesecake at Christmas. I love, love, love cheesecake and am looking forward to it.

I hope this was helpful and not too long winded. :wink:
  • keelz2010
    Options
    I love cooking too, if you look on BBC Good Food website there is an option to search for recipes under 200 cals. I use this this when I've got the urge for something sweet, I had the Glazed Pineapple the other day as dessert.. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/235607/spiced-glazed-pineapple-with-cinnamon-fromage-frai
    So will still get to make sweet treats in the kitchen! You could also try using a sweetener in place of sugar in recipes to make it a tab more healthy
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    Just say NO! I was (still am actually) a confessed sugar crazy grandma! Enjoy baking cookies, cakes, and pies... true southern style cooking too. Well, at the suggestion of my doctor -- she said try baking with splenda -- while using less sugar. Well, I just wasn't satisfied -- I wanted to taste of the real stuff! So, I put myself on a limited cooking assignment. I told myself I didn't need to bake cookies (goodies) each week - - or even monthly. I still like home-made biscuits on occasion.

I know others miss my baking treats but honestly I feel better. Of course, when the grandson gets here I will surely try to make his favorite pancakes!

Best of luck finding your balance and control!
  • nuttynat11834
    Options
    Just google low-carb deserts and you'll get quite a few. I am planning to make a sugar-free, low-carb cheesecake at Christmas. I love, love, love cheesecake and am looking forward to it.

I hope this was helpful and not too long winded. :wink:
    [/quote]

Thanks! I will try that!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'll monitor you food intake in-person for 50 hours a week for a yearly salary of $75,000 + benefits.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I just feel like no matter what I do, I can't stop eating sweets! I LOVE baking but i know i need to stop or at least control myself. Any helpful tips!?

Swap out half of your butter for mashed avocado You won't notice except that cookies may be a little softer and your body will notice the nutrional improvement.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I love to bake. Now I just bake for others. If I eat one small portion of whatever I bake then divide up the rest between friends and family we are all happy. I made bread pudding on Saturday. I had one small portion on Saturday and Sunday and the rest went home with my parents. I also send baked goods with hubby to work at the Sheriffs Office because I know the Deputies will eat them.

I also try to use egg whites, skim milk, and fruit rather than butter/oil.
  • karenragusa
    Options
    hi if you have to bake eat a huge meal (healthy of course)before it really helps.or chew gum or invite someone over that way you have to be accountable ;)
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Sugar is a poison. It is not a food, but a processed chemical from a plant source that has been leached, bleached and completely altered. And we are all addicted to it, having been raised on it. We've been led to believe it is a 'food'. The food industry would like us to continue believing this and being addicted to it, because it is cheap and profitable. For them. For us, it is killing us slowly. Obesity, heart disease, hypertension and cancer are all caused, in part, by this poison and are at epidemic rates. If processed sugar and processed flour didn't exist, I bet we wouldn't be having ANY of these problems. None of us would be fat. If it were discovered today, it would be banned. If you really want to get healthy and get slim, get mad at what it's done to you and choose not to eat it.

Hopefully, that information will help you swing into the 'no sugar' group... Consider a plant-based, nutrient-rich way of eating. Reclaim your health, slim body, your dignity and your power to change things. Dr. Oz, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Robert O. Young and many others all recommend this way of eating as they come to the realization that the standard north american pyramid, calorie-restricted way of eating is not working. You can lose weight, but you don't get healthy too, unless you're eating clean. Thousands have benefited.

Recipes: www.eatunprocessed.com, www.nouveauraw.com, www.alkalinesisters.com, http://kriscarr.com/recipes.

BTW, Raw cacao chocolates are AMAZING! And they're actually good for you! No dairy, no cooking and no sugar = loads of antioxidants and flavour. You CAN have your cake and eat it too.

www.hollycat50.wordpress.com

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • nuttynat11834
    Options
    Sugar is a poison. It is not a food, but a processed chemical from a plant source that has been leached, bleached and completely altered. And we are all addicted to it, having been raised on it. We've been led to believe it is a 'food'. The food industry would like us to continue believing this and being addicted to it, because it is cheap and profitable. For them. For us, it is killing us slowly. Obesity, heart disease, hypertension and cancer are all caused, in part, by this poison and are at epidemic rates. If processed sugar and processed flour didn't exist, I bet we wouldn't be having ANY of these problems. None of us would be fat. If it were discovered today, it would be banned. If you really want to get healthy and get slim, get mad at what it's done to you and choose not to eat it.

Hopefully, that information will help you swing into the 'no sugar' group... Consider a plant-based, nutrient-rich way of eating. Reclaim your health, slim body, your dignity and your power to change things. Dr. Oz, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Robert O. Young and many others all recommend this way of eating as they come to the realization that the standard north american pyramid, calorie-restricted way of eating is not working. You can lose weight, but you don't get healthy too, unless you're eating clean. Thousands have benefited.

Recipes: www.eatunprocessed.com, www.nouveauraw.com, www.alkalinesisters.com, http://kriscarr.com/recipes.

BTW, Raw cacao chocolates are AMAZING! And they're actually good for you! No dairy, no cooking and no sugar = loads of antioxidants and flavour. You CAN have your cake and eat it too.

www.hollycat50.wordpress.com

Hollycat:flowerforyou:

Thanks I think viewing sugar as what it really is will help!
  • ashleyeliz25
    ashleyeliz25 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I love to bake. It's one of my favorite things to do...plus eating what I bake! haha. It helps if you keep baking stuff out of your pantry. It's tough but I haven't been keeping flour/sugar/etc on deck and it's helped deter me from baking. Or you can bake and give away all the goodies to your friends!! I do that too :) good luck!