Eating while traveling

Options
I am a paramedic, and don't have 'normal' lunch breaks. Fast food is getting on my nerves, and not helping me lose weight at all. Any one have any ideas on healthier lunch/dinner ideas that I can take with me? (also, trying not to spend so much freaking money on food). Here are the parameters:

1. Not too messy (Chili from Wendy's + hitting a big pothole in a bouncy ambulance = messy ****)

2. Not too much in the way of bread

3. Not have to be warmed up if possible (of all the things we have on an ambulance, a microwave is not one of them)

4. I hate peanut butter. Lol

5. NO MANGO! (very allergic)

Thanks in advance for ideas! =0)

Replies

• kcrxgirl
    kcrxgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    What about tuna/chicken/seafood salad in a low carb tortilla?
  • resamarieh
    Options
    I really like wraps. They can be different and aren't messy.
    I also like packing carrots and celery in a sandwich bag and drizzling some light italian dressing on them. Fingers do get a bit sticky, but not as bad as chili :)
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Do you have room for a cooler?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Fruit, cut up veggies, grilled pieces of meat, hummus?, cheese sticks. I'm allergic to cantaloupe. They just can't resist sticking that crap in my fruit cup when I eat out.
  • ThePinkPretzel
    Options
    can you take a cooler with you? make tuna or chicken salad, instead of mayo use avacado! carrot sticks, low fat string cheese, almonds, lunch meat with crackers, apples, grapes, protein bars.

if you like salad you can make it early in the morning and store it in a mason jar. put the dressing at the bottom, the more solid things next (beans, nuts, chicken, etc) and then the lettuc/spinach on top. seal it well, and the lettuce stays crispy all day long! simple and easy clean up!

good old sandwhiches are good too, and yogurt with granola!

good luck!

(if you usually order hamburgers at fast food places, you could always try ordering salads instead. if you aren't sick or subway or jimmy john's those are usually filling and not to high in calorie. easy to eat while driving! i know it isn't the HEALTHIEST option out there, but panda express and del taco are nice changes of pace from the typical "fast food")
  • ZombieFoodSlayer
    Options
    Hey there, i know exactly this problem as Im an RN that used to "work" the floors running 12-16 hours!! This is a hard situation
    and alot of stress esp when you are trying to lose the weight. One thing to try is to get an insulated softsided
    lunch box...and take with you your (yogurt--or whatever it is you are eating), string cheese, sandwich bags of
    chopped nuts, homemade muffins, soups (can be put in the thermos)...and try this. Again, I know this industry is tough...trying to pee, or even eat is a challenge!! Hope this helps!! Patricia:happy:
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Fruit, cut up veggies, grilled pieces of meat, hummus?, cheese sticks. I'm allergic to cantaloupe. They just can't resist sticking that crap in my fruit cup when I eat out.

Yep--I'd get a small cooler or insulated bag with an ice pack and bring these kinds of things. Maybe add a hard-boiled egg for a snack (it seems like you eat low-carb). Maybe add a bottle of water or an unsweet tea. Bringing your lunch is SO good for your wallet and your waistline!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work and do everything I can to avoid purchasing ready to eat foods. I go grocery shopping and buy peanut butter/Flatout bread, (that is my standard go-to lunch and you don't need a fridge for that), fresh fruit, cans of tuna, blocks of cheese, turkey pepperoni, hummus, whatever.
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    Fruit, cut up veggies, grilled pieces of meat, hummus?, cheese sticks.

This. I pack my lunch every day and make a ham or turkey sandwich, take veggies with hummus and a string cheese.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot and often eat lunch out of supermarkets because I'm gluten free. You can almost always grab a quarter chicken and some chopped veg or a bag of carrots and piece of fruit. I get tired of it, but it works.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot and often eat lunch out of supermarkets because I'm gluten free. You can almost always grab a quarter chicken and some chopped veg or a bag of carrots and piece of fruit. I get tired of it, but it works.
    Good tip, thanks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wraps! I like Flat Out brand wraps, but any low net carb wrap will do. Fill it with a generous handful of leafy greens, a protein of your choice (lean meat, egg, fish, tofu, hummus, refried beans, cheese etc.) and whatever chopped vegetables you like. Dress it with some hot sauce or vinaigrette dressing, roll it up, cover in plastic wrap and lunch is ready when you are.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    To all: Thank you! Keep going!

and ....yes I can take a cooler, I have a small one. =0)
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

I feel your pain! I am allergic to mango. It is weird being scared of orange colored fruit!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    To all: Thank you! Keep going!

and ....yes I can take a cooler, I have a small one. =0)

Hmm...a cold pasta salad with the low-carb pasta, chicken, and vegetables (for some reason I like cold pasta salads with light Italian dressing...no clue if anyone else would eat this). Bananas....that's the fruit I'm allergic to and it makes me really sad!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    fried chicken
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I like protein bars, jerky, trail mix for on the go. You could always take a shaker bottle with protein powder and add water when your ready too. Carrots and ranch, greek yogurt, sting cheese.. hope that helps!
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    do you have an El Pollo Loco by you?