Steroids and Weight Loss. I Need Help!

Options
Maybe you guys can help me out with something I have been struggling with.

I am working out for 30 minutes five days a week. That includes hitting the heavy bag, old fashioned push ups, squats, overhead presses, lunges and the like. For cardio I do some rope work, jumping jacks, and such.

My problem is I have to be on steriods. Prednisone and Pulmacort for my asthma. I have successfully gotten down from a 60 mg Prednisone starting point for a ween to 30 mg., but I have not able to kick them entirely.

Losing weight has been a real challenge and I was wondering if there were any tips anyone could share with me?

Replies

• deba1963
    deba1963 Posts: 13
    Options
    I wish I had some magical words of wisdom for you.....but I really don't. Prednisone is the "spawn of the devil" and a double edged sword in my opinion. A good medicine for short-term use, but horrible in long-term situations.

I too have to be on it occasionally for Rheumatoid Arthritis and I gained about 15 pounds in a very short period of time on it. I gradually weaned myself off (with my doc's approval), but you are really on a high dose!

You need to work with your doctor to wean you off of the prednisone -- for more reasons than just weight loss. There are some awesome newer asthma medications out there for long-term control. You should research them and see if your doctor won't help you get off the prednisone and on to something else for maintenance of your asthma. If he/she won't, then you need to find a doctor that will. You have a lifetime condition and you cannot be on prednisone forever!

My daughter is asthmatic and prednisone has NEVER been used for her for long-term use - only for a week or two at a time during attacks and respiratory infections. I'm not a doctor, but I am a health care provider and know quite a bit about medications and prednisone in the dose you are taking for long-term use can be extremely damaging to your body. You really do need to do some research and talk with your doctor or find another doctor who can help you get your asthma under control without steroids.

Good luck!!! :wink:

PS....You do know not to EVER stop prednisone abruptly, right???? DO NOT do that....... I can't emphasize enough to research this and talk, talk, talk with your doctor about it.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Thanks. My asthma is really bad. I ended up in the ER with two collapsed lungs. I went in on a Wednesday and woke up on Saturday.

I really want to get off of them, but safely.

This is why I am so stoked at my one pound lost. Usually no matter how much I eat cleanly and try to work out, I always gain.

Advair works well, but it's $150!!!

Thanks for the words anyway! I really appreciate it.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The one "good" thing about prednisone: a lot of the weight gain is from water retention which comes off relatively easy after you're done with your course of medication. Unfortunately some of it is fat, and not only that, but it goes on in strange places like the face or upper back.:angry:

Work with your doctor to taper it off as quickly as you can safely do, while still controlling your asthma. Once you're off, you will start to see better results from healthy eating and fitness.

Good luck; hope you'll feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Thanks, FireMonkey. I totally forgot about the hump. Geeze as if gaining and thicker facial hair wasn't enough. I swear one day my husband's going to roll over and he's going to find Dom DeLouise lying next to him in bed if I keep this up. :wink:

I'm going to keep on trucking and hope to get off of them soon, but not too soon. That's a mess within itself.
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just did a search on prednisone and I came across your posting. I've been on prednisone for almost a year and I've gained 30 pounds. It's bad enough I was heavy before but gaining extra weight because of this medication has been really annoying. I have severe allergic asthma and I'm trying to ween off this medication. I've been eating right and exercising everyday since January and I've only lost 7 pounds. Believe me I know how frustrating it is. I know that watching your sodium intake can help but other than that I wish I had the answer. Good luck. :)