I dont know where to start.

Options
I have just joined this web site.
I have a large amount of weight to lose and I am at lose as to where to start.
Anyone any suggestions???

Jo

Replies

• SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Have you set your calorie goals yet? In the beginning, I simple cut back. I knew I'd have to make a lot of changes and it was easiest for me to eat essentially the same things, just portion control. I started drinking more water to help with hunger. I cut out fast food (I had a bad habit with that.)

After awhile, I decided to try and bump up my nutrition. So, I tried to make sure I was eating three servings of fruit, three servings of veggies, and three servings of dairy a day. Concentrating on that was helpful. Then I bought a scale, and started weighing some of those things to check on my accuracy, especially with things like meat/protein.

I started exercising a few months before I joined this site. I have a treadmill at home, and just did what I could a few days a week. I could only walk about 10 minutes before I felt like I was going to die--now I regularly do 5 miles at a crack, at double the pace I was at a year ago, and at a slight incline.

Since February 22, I've lost 54 pounds total. Not a real speedy loss compared to some, but my goal is to never quit, and to work on making this a lifestyle.

Congrats on taking the first steps towards a healthier life.
  • Joanitude
    Joanitude Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to find others with similar journeys to buddy up with - things work better with support. You can always find it here, even if it is lacking in other areas of life.

There are lots of ideas about how to do this - there is no one way that works for everybody....we each think our way is the best way :) Hang out, read the forums, check and see what others with similar goals are doing. At 300+ I have a very different set of goals from someone at 150. It's important to remember you have to walk your own path.

Also look at the groups - there should be several groups that would be a good fit for you. That gives you a way to get to know people.

My single best suggestion for losing weight? Accurately log every bite you take - always. There is more you can do, but that would be the first step.
  • jsk1964
    jsk1964 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI there!
    Many thanks for your replies.
    I am one of those that eats nothing all day, then goes over board when I get home.
    I had thought about a tread mill at home, as the thought of a gym I just find too daunting.
    I have fallen off the wagon so many times, but this time I want to succeed.

Jo x
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Welcome! I'm nothing like an old timer but have found this place pretty handy. My best tip would be to pre-enter your meals so you KNOW what fits in your calorie limit and can spend and remainder on something impulsive. Best of luck :)
  • heljay1
    heljay1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've just started too - feel free to add me!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Hello! Start by figuring out what you calorie goal is, and trying to stay within it. Make small changes. Drink more water, add in a few more veggies, etc. But most of all, do not get discouraged. I had a huge amount of weight to lose when I started, and sometimes it seemed real overwhelming. But you can do it!
  • djk721
    djk721 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The secret to weight loss is there is no secret. Stop eating garbage and exercise! I saw that posted somewhere. It makes complete sense.

What worked for me? Stop drinking soda--not even diet soda. Log everything you eat in a journal everyday--this site is great for that!
    Eat healthy foods, but use portion control.

WALK! or any other form of exercise at least 30 minutes everyday.

Stick with it!!!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to start by packing some food to take with you so you aren't starving all day.

I started with having regular meals instead of eating between meals. Grazing on all the foods all the days was a HUGE problem for me.

Welcome. If you stick with it and never give up, even after a bad food day, you will reach your goals.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You have to have a plan. Someone suggested pre-logging your meals, and that's a great tip.

You absolutely cannot wait til you get home at night to eat. Eat breakfast--even if it's simple...it could be a hard-boiled egg you made the night before with toast and a banana; take lunch--even if it's just 15 minutes; and pack easy-to-eat snacks like string cheese or veggie sticks or fruit or almonds (or all 4 in appropriate portion sizes).

I find it's easier to make changes over time than all at once. I started eating healthy before I amped up my workouts.

And drink lots of water :) Sometimes you think you're hungry but you're really just thirsty.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    And I should have also mentioned that if you have a plan, you remove a lot of the potential for pitfalls. When I didn't bring meals or snacks to work, I had the temptation of many fast-food restaurants, and the vending machine. While I believe this is a lifestyle change and I certainly plan on enjoying a cheeseburger from time to time, I don't need to be faced with choosing between the sad-looking salad bar downstairs or the fast-food chains on a daily basis, especially when I'm in a hurry and when I'm hungry. Also, this will save you money :)
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    start by deciding what you want to accomplish. Set realistic goals for yourself. Then give yourself small achievements that will help you reach those goals.

I decided I wanted to lose weight first. I needed to drop 50 pounds. I cut back on calories nad began a cardio routine. At first it was 15 minutes a day of cardio, split into 3 5 minute intervals. Then it was to limit myself to the calories needed to maintain my weight, then I cut back on calories a little at time every week. I've been on here for 18 months. Somedays I a mawesome ... other days ... not so much. But I have lost over 65 pounds and I feel pretty good about that.
  • Chelle175
    Chelle175 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

This site has quite literally changed the lives of so many. I wish you well.

I saw in one of your posts that you were thinking about getting a tread mill. Not a bad idea, but before you invest the money, start walking. What you don't want to have happen is spending money on something you can't incorporate into your every day life.

As another member said, start walking. Walking on lunch breaks, up stairs, even parking further out in store parking lots gets the steps in. A pedometer, which is far less expensive than a treadmill and even available as an app on cell phones, would help you know how far you're walking.

As for the diet, it sounds like the other members who have responded have given you some good advice.

Good luck.
  • mike_littlerock
    mike_littlerock Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    HI there!
    I am one of those that eats nothing all day, then goes over board when I get home.
    I had thought about a tread mill at home, as the thought of a gym I just find too daunting.

Jo x

I did exactly the same thing for years. When it got to the point where I felt that I NEEDED to do something, my wife and I joined MFP and i started to actually track what I eat (ouch).. I could justify eating 4-5 pieces of chicken from popeyes and part of a side item, after all.. i did not eat all day.. I could talk myself into ordering a pizza at the end of a hard day at work. It CANT be that bad, its just dough, veggies, cheese, and some meat.. I need protein.. right? when i started logging everything i ate (on good days and bad days) I was shocked.. that large pizza had about 2 times the calories I needed for the day.. same with the chicken.

Phase two for me came about 2 months later, when I found a new gym and personal trainer. I jumped in with both feet and was working my tail off in the gym, and eating clean.. I started to get in shape, feel better, have more energy, and the fat was melting away..

where to start? start by getting an honest assessment of what you consume. its not good or bad in my mind at first. just be aware of what you were doing. and then make adjustments. does not have to be night and day. try to make some small repeatable changes, get successful at that, and add new positive habits as you proceed. I see so many people trying to go from 0-60 in one step. from no exercise to 7 days a week. from Junk food paradise to twigs and berries.. In my opinion that just does not work in the long run because you need to find something that you can adopt as a lifestyle change. Yes, you can drop fat with pills, or drinking shakes made from the livers of Peruvian goats, but who wants to do that forever.

My wife and I eat basic stuff.. lean protein sources (chicken/pork/beef/fish/etc.) lots of salads fresh veggies (steamed and raw). we DO include cheat meals but still limit our portion sizes.

Good luck!
    you can do it.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    HI there!

Jo x

great place to start is right here! :) Once you get your calorie requirement set up in settings, then log in your food. Even do some practice entries of previous days- (you can always delete the info) to see where your calorie range is hitting.

Weight loss is all about breaking bad habits, just like weight gain was about starting bad habits. I have heard it can take anywhere from 3 weeks or more just to break a habit- so be prepared, its going to take time. And small changes each day = long term success :)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Start with your eating habits. It's very important to eat through out the day. NO MORE SKIPPING MEALS. Eat a balance of lean protein, fresh fruits/veggies, healthy comlex carbs. Once you get that under control, start exercising. Try to get strength training and cardio three times a week. I do 30 minutes of each Tuesday and Thursday, more on Saturday and I just try to be active on the days in between. There are many ways to this without joining a gym. You can search the forums and the internet for ideas.

I've been on MFP for almost 4 months. I've only lost 10 pounds, but thanks to strength training it looks as though I lost more than that, and I feel so much better. I eat around 1400 calories a day, more on exercise days, but your requirements may be different. I'm only 5' tall, current weight 152.5. Do some research to find what's right for you.

Good luck. MFP is full of great motivating and inspiring people. Make friends with them and GOOD LUCK TO YOU. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!