HRM calorie recording/BMR

Options
I've just started using a Polar HRM, which is very good. I'd been entering the calorie burn data straight into my MFP diary until I wondered whether my BMR was included, in which case I would be double counting, as MFP factors in BMR.

So I checked with Polar, and BMR IS included, so to be accurate I need to deduct my BMR (which works out at 1 cal per minute) from the recorded burn.

I'm sure many people may know this already, but others might not, so I thought I'd share.

Replies

• plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Do many people actually do this?
  • Omi_16
    Omi_16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That is interesting to know. I didn't know that!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It's not something that a lot of people talk about, but it is true. It's going to be around 55 to 75 calories per hour, depending on your BMR.

Considering most HRMs calorie count are only accurate to within 25% (10% for the really nice ones), that's probably outside the accuracy error anyway.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I think some people think its not a big enough number to bother with.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Because everything is an estimation anyway, I choose to be as accurate as I can with my estimations, so I do subtract my BMR. I didn't used to, and it didn't seem to hamper my weight loss, but as I get smaller and it gets harder, I think it would have had an effect.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just round down to the nearest 50 when I work out for margin of error. My HRM is more accurate than most because I've had heart rate testing done so I know what I burn per minute at different HRs but still. I prefer to underlog just in case. Might have to adjust as I get closer to goal, but it's working for now.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It makes quite a difference to me, because my exercise is mainly walking with my dogs, so low intensity. And I'm close to my goal weight.

Of course all these things are only estimates - but on an average day for me it makes a difference of 120 calories. I wouldn't overeat by that much (well, not often anyway, lol) so I figure I might as well try to get the "calories out" as accurate as I can, just as I do with the "calories in".

I'm not suggesting everyone needs to do it - it's just something to be aware of.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I must have missed something. How do you deduct your BMR from your calories burned if you're not burning anywhere near your BMR?
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I must have missed something. How do you deduct your BMR from your calories burned if you're not burning anywhere near your BMR?

You don't have a choice about burning your BMR - it's the calories you use by just existing, without any activity.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Take your total BMR and divide by 24 to get your hourly BMR burn and deduct that, not your whole BMR for the day.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

Take your total BMR and divide by 24 to get your hourly BMR burn and deduct that, not your whole BMR for the day.
    Is that some scientifically achieved BMR or the result of some website sausage machine formula handle turning?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Is that some scientifically achieved BMR or the result of some website sausage machine formula handle turning?

Most people only have the website calculators available. I have had mine tested in a lab. However, now that I think about it, my Polar is using the estimate values, not my actual values (my actual values are 10% higher than the estimates) so I am actually subtracting too much! LOL...oh well, gives me a tiny little cushion that I'll take.